Some interesting comparisons between 2003 and 2020 Marlins.

SirFishFan

Of course I know that these are two completely different teams and seasons.

2003 was a very special year and team that was put together.

I'm not saying I think the Marlins will win it all this year, but I have noticed some interesting comparisons between the two seasons so far:

Marlins lose in an absolute record-setting blowout loss:

June 27, 2003-Marlins lose to Boston 25-8

September 9, 2020-Marlins lose to Braves 29-9

Marlins win by one run the following night after the blowout loss in a come from behind win, scoring the runs in the 8th and 9th innings:

June 28, 2003-Marlins beat Boston 10-9 scoring 8 runs in the 8th and 9th innings in a come from behind win.

September 10, 2020-Marlins beat Phillies 7-6 scoring 4 runs in the 8th and 9th innings in a come from behind win.

Big impact pitcher called up midway during the season and instantly becomes Rookie of the year candidate:

2003-Dontrelle Willis

2020-Sixto Sanchez

Young power hitting infielder in Marlins system gets called up and a chance at playing everyday in the big leagues and gets some big hits:

2003 - Miguel Cabrera

2020 - Jazz Chisholm

(Of course, way too early to compare Cabrera and Jazz, but still interesting how both young IFs got a chance in the middle of the season when the team started the year with the positions filled.)

Marlins acquire player at trade deadline that makes big impact down the stretch:

2003-Ugeth Urbina

2020-Starling Marte

Marlins acquire player with last name of Conine on August 31st:

2003 - Jeff Conine

2020 - Griffin Conine

Marlins have Todd Hollandsworth on the team in some capacity:

2003 - Left Field

2020 - Broadcast booth.

😂

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, mystikol87 said:

Nice work!

Thanks! The last couple of nights were bringing back a lot of memories from that series in Boston back in ‘03.

There was a thread where we were talking about Gameday and Sandy Alcantara a few days ago, and I was telling the story of watching that Boston series, with the blowout loss and come from behind win the next day, on Gameday, and now like 3-4 days after talking about it, these last two games happen. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, GuitarPik said:

Are you on reddit? If not, do you mind if I post this there?

I’m not on Reddit, but sure go ahead!

I typed it out very quickly, so if there are any grammar fixes you need to make or any wording changes or any other additions or similarities you’d like to add, feel free!

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

I’m not on Reddit, but sure go ahead!

I typed it out very quickly, so if there are any grammar fixes you need to make or any wording changes or any other additions or similarities you’d like to add, feel free!

Awesome...posted word for word and gave you credit!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GuitarPik said:

Hahaha. Thanks, man!

It’s funny/interesting to see something I wrote reposted on another site, I think that’s the first time that’s happened for something I’ve written. 😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Erick said:

Did the 2003 team also get their asses kicked again in game 1 of a doubleheader after allowing 25+ runs?

Not in a double header, but the Marlins did lose 14-0 to the Phillies on September 16, 2003.

But thankfully one loss at this time of the year doesn't usually make or break the season..