9/11 Post GameS Thread

Michael

54 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Ben Davis still thinks the Phillies will win 5 of 7

I still think the Marlins will win 6 of 7. 😂

But whatever happens the rest of the way, if the Marlins can get at least 2 more wins in the next four games, that will not be too bad..

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 1

Fyi this win last night had big contributions from Brinson, Isan, and Monte, which takes me to a point I've been saying for a while.

We may not ever win the Yelich trade if you wanna go by comparing WAR numbers but if Lewis, Isan, and Monte are productive members of this team for a good numbers of years then all the ragging about the Yelich trade being the worst trade ever is crap.

There are plenty of worse trades where the return has done virtually nothing at the MLB level. I know this was only one game and it will take years to see if I'm right but last night illustrates that trades don't have to be judged by analytical numbers. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Fyi this win last night had big contributions from Brinson, Isan, and Monte, which takes me to a point I've been saying for a while.

We may not ever win the Yelich trade if you wanna go by comparing WAR numbers but if Lewis, Isan, and Monte are productive members of this team for a good numbers of years then all the ragging about the Yelich trade being the worst trade ever is crap.

There are plenty of worse trades where the return has done virtually nothing at the MLB level. I know this was only one game and it will take years to see if I'm right but last night illustrates that trades don't have to be judged by analytical numbers. 

But that's the thing. The Marlins can easily win this trade analytically too. If all three of those guys average 3 WAR per year (i.e. play like above average starting position players; on the level of Willy Adames or Victor Robles) from 2021 through 2023 (the final year of team control for Brinson), they will have amassed 36 WAR, at 9 WAR per year.

Even with 15.9 WAR already in the bank, it will be very hard for Yelich to amass 36 WAR since being traded (an additional 20 WAR) before going into decline -- especially if we cut him off at 2022 (i.e. two more seasons), when his original contract was set to expire.

Expecially -- EXXXPECCIALLLYYY -- if the Brewers go into a franchise slump and the Marlins rebuild continues successfully, folks are going to be laughing at the Brewers (and denying they ever made fun of the Marlins) for this trade. They're paying that fella $26M in his age-36 season.

15 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

But that's the thing. The Marlins can easily win this trade analytically too. If all three of those guys average 3 WAR per year (i.e. play like above average starting position players; on the level of Willy Adames or Victor Robles) from 2021 through 2023 (the final year of team control for Brinson), they will have amassed 36 WAR, at 9 WAR per year.

Even with 15.9 WAR already in the bank, it will be very hard for Yelich to amass 36 WAR since being traded (an additional 20 WAR) before going into decline -- especially if we cut him off at 2022 (i.e. two more seasons), when his original contract was set to expire.

Expecially -- EXXXPECCIALLLYYY -- if the Brewers go into a franchise slump and the Marlins rebuild continues successfully, folks are going to be laughing at the Brewers (and denying they ever made fun of the Marlins) for this trade. They're paying that fella $26M in his age-36 season.

Well that would be awesome, just saying it doesn't always have to be judged that way because it's not always that straight forward. 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Well that would be awesome, just saying it doesn't always have to be judged that way because it's not always that straight forward. 

And that analysis ignores the finances too. Yelich is earning more than all three of them boys combined. So really, he's got to EXCEED 36 WAR in that scenario in order for the Brewers to "win" the trade.