Steve Cohen reaches agreement to buy Mets

Admin

23 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Serious question... would they dare to do a blow up and rebuild in that market?

A good part of me doubts it. It's my understanding that Cohen is wealthier than like the top 8 MLB owners combined. He has the power to outspend the universe, and he may do just that. Trade for big contacts, buy the biggest free agents.

I doubt it makes a juggernaut, but it should be enough to make the Mets pretty good.

Just now, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

A good part of me doubts it. It's my understanding that Cohen is wealthier than like the top 8 MLB owners combined. He has the power to outspend the universe, and he may do just that. Trade for big contacts, buy the biggest free agents.

I doubt it makes a juggernaut, but it should be enough to make the Mets pretty good.

Just because he has the money to outspend doesn't mean he should! He needs to decide what really will make a consistent winner in NY.

25 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

I fully expect Steve Cohen to run the Mets like they are a franchise based in the #1 media market in North America instead of the way the Wilpons ran the Mets and acted like they were some mid market franchise.

What if that doesn't lead to actually winning and he has to pull the plug? At what point do the Mets finally attempt a full scale rebuild?

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Serious question... would they dare to do a blow up and rebuild in that market?

I doubt it, even if its what they should do.

I was mostly joking with my earlier post, but there's an element of truth to it - I mean they went and traded FOR Cano, so anything is possible.

One might wonder if the agent-turned-GM experiment will end, though.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Actually a great point. A lot of Mets fans might be happier trying every year and not winning than to tank for a while. Awful but true.

Competing for playoffs year in and year out might be what Cohen defines as winning.

To Steinbrenner and the Yankees its only about trophies.

To the Dodger group its just about winning division titles I guess.