9/21 Post Game Thread

SirFishFan

So last week Monte Harrison was out on an aggressive baserunning play. No matter what we think of whether it was the right move or not, I think most commended Don Mattingly for publicly backing Monte's decision to try the play because it shows the player that his manager believes in him and it instills confidence in the player and now Monte will likely "run through walls" for his manager.

A few days Giants ago rookie Mauricio Dubon was caught stealing third base in a critical game situation. Here's how Giants manager Gabe Kapler publicly responded to that play...

“He just made a mistake at a critical time in the game,” Kapler said. “Dubón and I talked about it after the game. I told him I needed to be honest with him. I said, ‘It's a really bad baseball play.’ It’s a bad baseball play."

And here's Dubon's public response... “It’a a dumb baseball play. That can’t happen. You want to get the team going. At the end of the day, I ended up slowing it down.”

I'm sure there were differences in the two plays but in general I think there's two very different messages being given here by the two managers.

Monte Harrison is an aggressive, borderline reckless player but he's gonna bust his butt for Don Mattingly and his teammates are gonna do the same.

Maurico Dubon just told the media that he made a dumb play because his manager let the media know if was a bad play. Not so sure Mauricio Dubon is gonna go as hard for Gabe Kapler anymore and who knows if any Giants players didn't enjoy Kapler's public response either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So last week Monte Harrison was out on an aggressive baserunning play. No matter what we think of whether it was the right move or not, I think most commended Don Mattingly for publicly backing Monte's decision to try the play because it shows the player that his manager believes in him and it instills confidence in the player and now Monte will likely "run through walls" for his manager.

A few days Giants ago rookie Mauricio Dubon was caught stealing third base in a critical game situation. Here's how Giants manager Gabe Kapler publicly responded to that play...

“He just made a mistake at a critical time in the game,” Kapler said. “Dubón and I talked about it after the game. I told him I needed to be honest with him. I said, ‘It's a really bad baseball play.’ It’s a bad baseball play."

And here's Dubon's public response... “It’a a dumb baseball play. That can’t happen. You want to get the team going. At the end of the day, I ended up slowing it down.”

I'm sure there were differences in the two plays but in general I think there's two very different messages being given here by the two managers.

Monte Harrison is an aggressive, borderline reckless player but he's gonna bust his butt for Don Mattingly and his teammates are gonna do the same.

Maurico Dubon just told the media that he made a dumb play because his manager let the media know if was a bad play. Not so sure Mauricio Dubon is gonna go as hard for Gabe Kapler anymore and who knows if any Giants players didn't enjoy Kapler's public response either.

And I think there's the difference between why the Phillies jettisoned Kapler after a .500 season, and why Mattingly was extended after a 105-loss season. Many of a manager's responsibilities -- arguably their most important responsibilities -- occur before and after games. I think only a fool would argue Mattingly is anything but A+ in that area.

• Like 2