Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Jose Urena: Extension or Trade Candidate?

Urena is in his first year of arbitration, and he is making $3.2 million this season. The fact that he has two more years of arbitration before qualifying for free agency in 2022 eliminates any urgency the Marlins have to offer a contract extension. Yes, the rotation is promising with Trevor Richards, Pablo Lopez, Sandy Alcantara and Smith all a year removed from being rookies. And Nick Neidert, Zac Gallen, Jordan Yamamoto, Jorge Guzman and more are developing in the pipeline.

Having rotation depth is important, but it doesn’t necessarily change the club’s thinking on whether to offer Urena an extension, and buying out a year or more of his free-agent seasons. Typically, extension candidates are All-Star-caliber players. Urena has certainly been a workhorse for the Marlins -- logging a team-high 174 innings in 2018. But he hasn’t shown to be or project to be at an All-Star level.

I actually expect Urena to be a trade candidate by the Deadline.

Someone asked Joe Frisaro if Jose Urena was a possible extension candidate and Frisaro thinks he's more likely to be a trade candidate.

What do you think? Should they extend him, shop him, or even neither?

This isn’t difficult. Trade candidate. Should’ve been traded last year/offseason. If we had to keep him, I’d like to see him transition to the pen. 

LOL!!!! You know the answer. Neidert, SixtoYamamotoGuzmanAlcantara, Pablito, K-leb, Richards, Gallen.... and the list goes on, enough said.

Please trade.  I have seen nothing out of him that makes me want him on my team.

I say trade him. He hasnt Improved over the years, still walks a lot of guys, can’t miss bats and is homer prone. He should have been the one released over Straily

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Michael said:

If you can get anything, trade.

Literally anything?

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Literally anything?

If you can get Jose Urena for Jose Urena, do it.