9/25 Post Game Thread - POST SEASON BOUND!

Man, Jose’s death was a nail in the coffin for me in following baseball

Started again because of COVID, bittersweet that they make the playoffs today. 

Watching this season reminded me so much of 06. Can’t wait to see what these Youngbloods can do

• Like 5
  • Banana 1
Just now, Nny said:

Man, Jose’s death was a nail in the coffin for me in following baseball

Started again because of COVID, bittersweet that they make the playoffs today. 

Watching this season reminded me so much of 06. Can’t wait to see what these Youngbloods can do

Ah shit. All the old boys, come out.

• Like 1
  • Banana 1

I feel like I am still dreaming. What an amazing team. While I am relatively new to the site, I have followed the Marlins throughout my life. I appreciate everyone sharing your personal stories as it relates to being a fan. My dad was the first person I talked to after the game as I have watched many games with him over the years on tv and in person. The Marlins fucking deserve this. All of us as fans deserve this, to the OG 93ers to the new millennium fans. 17 years no postseason. 3 fire sales within that timeframe. 2006. 2012. 2018. The Marlins are the first team in National League history to lose 100+ games the season before and then the following season make the playoffs. If Don Mattingly doesn’t win Manager of the Year, who tf else deserves it then? I’m so happy right now, I still can’t believe it. Love you everyone! Now let’s chase that third World Series title! 

Edited by Italian Marlins Fan
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

You'll be a bandwagoner if your first Marlins game you watch all year will be the Marlins first playoff game.. and you act like you are the Marlins number one fan of all time, even though you haven't paid attention since Stanton was traded.. 😂

I just wanted to clarify something about that post I wrote, since it was written in a mostly joking tone, but might come across as a little bit harsh if someone reads it. Not that I think anyone really cares about my opinion anyways, but I wanted to give my correct opinion on what I consider someone being a bandwagoner..

As someone who lived through the ‘03 season, I remember going to a game early in the year of ‘03 before Jack McKeon, Dontrelle Willis or Miguel Cabrera were on the team, and even with the seats in left center going for $6 at the time, still Pro Player Stadium was always empty of course during the first part of that year, and by September of that year seeing 30,000+ fans every game. I have seen how quickly Marlins fans can appear when the team is winning.

I don’t think that someone necessarily has to follow every game every season, including this one, to be considered a true fan, I know that, especially as I have gotten older, sometimes the business of life is there and I didn’t have all the time I had as when I was a teenager to spend following the Marlins. There have been some years that I haven’t even been able to watch a single game, not because I didn’t want to, just other things had a higher priority at the time. Of course, during those years, I always followed the Marlins even if it meant just being able to check the box score and watch highlights of the games as well as familiarizing myself with the roster.

I also know that there are plenty of people who were true fans for 20+ years and after the past few rough years may have given up on the Marlins and now have become reinspired to start watching again, and that is great!

I think that it’s just something that any sports fan who is from or has lived any significant amount of time in South Florida knows and has seen so many times in their lives with the Marlins, Heat and other teams, how a team can go years and no one pays attention to them but the moment that the team gets deep in the playoffs you will see tens of thousands of people who have never cared for one second in their lives about the team, but because they are winning, all of a sudden all the people that would never go anywhere near the stadium during any regular season are now willing to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to buy playoff tickets even though they don’t care one bit during the regular season about the team and probably never have.

I know that this topic has been discussed probably thousands of times over the years, just wanted to clarify my earlier post.

If you have only watched one or two games this year or have been a big Marlins fan in the past but have taken a break from the Marlins for a few seasons, but now are catching up and excited about this year’s team, or even if this is your very first year as a Marlins fan, then all of you are true fans. 100%

If you have no interest in the sport or team at all, but only care about watching because the team is winning games and is in the playoffs, and it will look cool to your friends if you are taking selfies and posting online about how “your team” is winning playoff games when you have no intention of being a fan next year, or until the next time the team makes the post season, then you are definitely a bandwagoner. 100%

😂

• Like 4

It's been 17 years. 

17 years since they got into the playoffs. I went from a relatively young man to a middle aged one. I admit I almost started tearing up when they finished this game. Was so tired of being with the have nots. It gets ingrained in the culture of the club. 

It just gets so tiring year after year sitting on the outside, finishing up the season while watching other teams gearing up for the post season. 

I say let's start a streak of making the playoffs. And turn this thing around for good. 

• Like 4

Saw this posted on reddit and didn’t think it was possible for me to want the Marlins to go to the World Series more than I did. But I’d feel so happy for Donnie if we could do it for him...

“If Don Mattingly is part of your team, you do not make it to the World Series.

The Yankees got to the World Series in 1981. Don Mattingly joined the team in 1982, and played for the team until 1995. They never made the World Series during that time period.

The year after Mattingly retired, the Yankees went to the World Series. In fact, they went 6 times in the next 8 seasons, ending with an appearance in 2003 (a loss to the Marlins).

Don Mattingly returned to the Yankees after the 2003 season as a hitting coach. He remained with the team until the end of the 2007 season. The Yankees never went to the World Series.

Don Mattingly left the Yankees at the start of the 2008 season. The team went to the World Series in 2009.

Mattingly joined the Dodgers in 2008 as a hitting coach, and eventually became their manager, before leaving after the 2015 season. During that time, despite making the playoffs 5 times in 8 season, the Dodgers never made it to the World Series.

The Dodgers reached the World Series in 2017 and 2018.”

#DOITFORDON

Edited by GuitarPik
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Erick said:

Last night was the first night when I truly liked our broadcast crew as well. Severino’s call when the Marlins got the game-ending double play was perfect.

Fuck I didn’t hear it over my yelling lol I’m gonna rewatch it now 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Erick said:

Last night was the first night when I truly liked our broadcast crew as well. Severino’s call when the Marlins got the game-ending double play was perfect.

Yes, it was nice to get some actual emotion. 

• Like 3