Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Marlins one of 3 MLB teams to lose money

$22 mil in the hole , now that's cheap jeter

https://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-marlins/#5fe860f26a27

Here's details on the Marlins specifically.  I found this interesting:

The Marlins had baseball's lowest average attendance last season, 10,103, and the second lowest average local television rating, 1.26.

Reported attendance was off 51%, but paid attendance was roughly flat, as the team did away with inflating attendance figures that often doubled the actual ticket sales.

We know they started reporting actual people in attendance last year, which made numbers look terrible.  But according to this, paid attendance was roughly flat compared to 2017.  Which if I'm interpreting right, means if they'd kept with the Loria version of reporting attendance, it'd have been roughly the same last year vs. 2017.

How did they lose money? I thought this team was just profiting left and right because they've been saving money on cutting players like Dietrich and Straily and on keeping the roof open during games?

• Like 1

Fuck Jeter so cheap he don't care about winning games or winning money all he likes is losing whether money or games he likes to lose so even though he lose he win because he like lose so much Fuck Jeter™

• Laugh 3

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

How did they lose money? I thought this team was just profiting left and right because they've been saving money on cutting players like Dietrich and Straily and on keeping the roof open during games?

Consider the interest / principal payment on $400 million in debt. Remember that Sherman et al didn't pay $1.2 billion for the Marlins out of pocket - they paid $800 million and assumed $400 million in debt.

They said 40% of the Marlins' value was debt.

---

The thing I didn't understand is the -22M is a 2019 figure apparently.  For 2018, it says they were -$53M operating income.

4 minutes ago, bmg42 said:

Consider the interest / principal payment on $400 million in debt. Remember that Sherman et al didn't pay $1.2 billion for the Marlins out of pocket - they paid $800 million and assumed $400 million in debt.

and you know what happens when you assume...

Fuck Jeter in the ass you and me

No way do these figures include revenue sharing for any team from national rights deals.