10/8 Braves @ Marlins - NLDS Game 3

3 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Chad Wallach.

Not even kidding. He can handle the staff and none of those options wow me. And I doubt we spend big on Realmuto.

I don't know if you remember the 2004 season, but starting that year the idea was to have R. Castro as the starter and M. Redmond as the backup, and after about a month Redmond worked his way to being the everyday guy, well, until Paul LoDuca came.

This situation with catcher this season is reminding me a little bit of that, with Wallach being like Redmond and Alfaro like Castro.

😂

Obviously I'd be thrilled to get Realmuto back, but I don't think that's happening. I wouldn't be mad at James McCann being a Marlin. Other than that, I think we'd have to try to trade for a catcher, or just hand the job back to Wallach and Alfaro. Someone like Wieters, Castro, or Flowers would be decent as a depth piece to help Alfaro improve, but coming off a playoff season, I don't think we want "guys to help other guys improve" at such an important position. We'll want "guys already good enough to play"

Just now, GuitarPik said:

Alfaro better not be anywhere near this team next year. 

I mean I would go for James McCann and Weiters but they probably won’t spend that money.

5 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Of all the current core players we have, the only one I'd give up on is Alfaro. No love for him whatsoever

Nah man, he’s an annoying player in his current state but he’s very talented on both sides of the ball. He just needs someone to fine tune his approach at the plate and teach him to frame and call pitches. A full 162 game season of Cervelli working with him would have done a great deal for him. Unfortunately that wasn’t possible for many reasons 

Just now, marlinsmaniac said:

Nah man, he’s an annoying player in his current state but he’s very talented on both sides of the ball. He just needs someone to fine tune his approach at the plate and teach him to frame and call pitches. A full 162 game season of Cervelli working with him would have done a great deal for him. Unfortunately that wasn’t possible for many reasons 

Yeah, I think Cervelli would have been huge for Alfaro. I hope the Marlins can keep him around as a catching coach or something like that. Didn't we have Brian Schneider in that role at some point? 

1 minute ago, SongInTheAir said:

Yeah, I think Cervelli would have been huge for Alfaro. I hope the Marlins can keep him around as a catching coach or something like that. Didn't we have Brian Schneider in that role at some point? 

Yeah but I don’t think he’s around anymore (unless he’s working with the minor league squads)

Also, Donnie the other day said how he’s the kind of guy that the team would want to bring in as a coach. So I’m assuming they may have had that conversation with him when he finally decided to retire. If that guy is a coach in our dugout next season it’s as big an addition as a good free agent signing IMO. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah, offensive juggernauts at the catcher position are tough to find but he has offensive upside for sure. It's there and you can see it.  He really needs work on the game calling portion though.  If they aren't signing JT they really should go invest some money into finding the best possible dude to coach him up as much as possible.  Of course, he could turn into one of those guys who just never figure it out (he's good enough that he'll find another team easily though) but he still does flash a nice skillset at a position that's tough to fill.

12 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Then the unproven guys that have showed nothing like isan can be sent down.

You send Isan down and he's just going to mash in AAA like he did in 2019.

4 minutes ago, Entendu said:

You send Isan down and he's just going to mash in AAA like he did in 2019.

So we should keep him up here to bat 180 for the third time?