2020 Post-Season Thread

The Marlins outperformed this year and left us all excited for 2021!

Brandon Kintzler, Yimi Garcia, Brad Boxberger, Nick Vincent, and Matt Joyce are the relevant free agents. We may need to rebuild the whole bullpen, and we should be looking at either signing or acquiring a new catcher.

Thoughts?

verklempt saturday night live GIF

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Brandon Kintzler, Yimi Garcia, Brad Boxberger, Nick Vincent, and Matt Joyce are the relevant free agents. We may need to rebuild the whole bullpen, and we should be looking at either signing or acquiring a new catcher.

Thoughts?

JT or bust. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bret Hart said:

Our 2020 season was done today, but I'm really happy to enjoy the playoff with our guys. Also I'm so excited how Jeter and FO create something in this stove season. 

and Thanks to all marlinsbaseball.com members including The Great @SonOfJack, @SilverBullet, and @Michael.

Sucks* to be lumped in with those two but thanks friend! 💙

*doesn't actually suck 💙

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great, fun, exciting, inspiring season. I'm looking forward to next year.

I'd really love to see at least 2 of Isan, Jazz, Jesus, Lewin, Lewis, Magneuris, and Monte (I, J, J, L, L, M, and M lol) hit enough next year at some point to stick in the lineup. That would have me feeling much better about the future.

I think we've got enough rotation arms that I wouldn't sign anyone unless they truly have great upside. Pablo, Sandy, Sixto are locks. Elieser, Braxton, Trevor, Edward, Max Meyer, Castano all in the pipeline.

• I think we can upgrade C, 1B, LF, and RF
  • I'm down with Marte, Rojas, Anderson, and Berti
  • Hopefully the aforementioned 6 youngsters can shore up 2 of those spots.
  • Berti can play 2B or an outfield spot.
  • Aguilar is fine for the low price tag.
  • Obviously JT Realmuto would be a massive upgrade.

Just for fun:

• Starling Marte
  • Miguel Rojas
  • Brian Anderson
  • JT Realmuto
  • Aguilar/Cooper/Diaz
  • DH
  • Berti
  • LF/RF/2B (non-Berti)
  • LF/RF/2B (non-Berti)

And I'm always down to add/retain quality bullpen arms. Obviously Yimi was terrific.

Winning a playoff series was more than anyone could have anticipated. This season definitely brought me back to the fold and will be exciting to see this team contend and grow together next year and beyond.

• Like 4

If we’re willing to spend some money...

C- James McCann & Matt Weiters 

1B- Justin Smoak(he’ll be cheap though)

2nd- Tommy La Stella

RF- Josh Reddick

- Move Harold to Left, Berti/Coop become primary guys of the bench, and Cooper can platoon at DH as well.

Pen- Let Vincent walk, sign Mark Melancon. 

Rotation- middle of the rotation guy like Matt Shomaker just so we can add a veteran and use Rodgers/Garret as a 6th starter.

All of this would be around 50-55 million in total spending. Don’t think this is the route they’ll take though. They’ll probably go cost efficient which I put in the other offseason thread.

Edited by ZfromCIS
1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

Thoughts?

Just a heads up on Kintzler because I have seen this a couple times posted already. Marlins have an option for next year so I think the Marlins will end  up keeping his especially for this amount.

Right-handed reliever Brandon Kintzler has agreed to a one-year deal with the Miami Marlins.

The deal is for $3 million, according to a source familiar with the situation.

It includes a $4 million option for 2021 or a $250,000 buyout, a source said.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

If we’re willing to spend some money...

C- James McCann & Matt Weiters 

1B- Justin Smoak(he’ll be cheap though)

2nd- Tommy La Stella

RF- Josh Reddick

- Move Harold to Left, Berti/Coop become primary guys of the bench, and Cooper can platoon at DH as well.

Pen- Let Vincent walk, sign Mark Melancon. 

Rotation- middle of the rotation guy like Matt Shomaker just so we can add a veteran and use Rodgers/Garret as a 6th starter.

All of this would be around 50-55 million in total spending. Don’t think this is the route they’ll take though. They’ll probably go cost efficient which I put in the other offseason thread.

All in all, not bad ideas. I'm still in the camp of thinking that our prospect bats will be fine and we could go a little larger on one or two particular FAs and plug up those holes.

Prospect bats will start in AAA, almost guaranteed. Give em a month there to regain confidence after a full offseason of adjusting their approach / swing and we'll be alright.

Too much talent there, all told, to not succeed with at least one of the..

So what exactly do what we do with the catchers position? Wallach still called a heck of a series. I think he is worthy of a backup catcher spot even he doesn't end up hitting much at all. Alfaro is gonna have his moments but it would be nice to get more production out of that position. Are we really gonna pursue JT? I don't see it happening since his price tag will sky rocket.

Invest a little bit more in the bullpen. Yimi Garcia did great this year!

Marte and Dickerson in the Outfield seem like locks. The question is who plays RF? If the Universal DH sticks which it more than likely will then you got Cooper at 1B / DH.

We need a veteran to help anchor down the rotation 3-4 spot behind Alcantara, Lopez and Sixto.

Hopefully we see some of the young hitters shine next season, the way the pitchers did in 2020.

Bleday, Sanchez, Monte, Lewin, let's see what we have.  With Marte back and the young rotation with a ton of confidence, should be a lot of fun.

I'd hate to rush to a decision on Alfaro, there seems like a lot of upside there but man, not using him in any of the playoff games was not exactly a vote of confidence.  

That was such a great season though, means a lot for the organization as a whole, not to mention building up the fanbase.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Michael said:

All in all, not bad ideas. I'm still in the camp of thinking that our prospect bats will be fine and we could go a little larger on one or two particular FAs and plug up those holes.

Prospect bats will start in AAA, almost guaranteed. Give em a month there to regain confidence after a full offseason of adjusting their approach / swing and we'll be alright.

Too much talent there, all told, to not succeed with at least one of the..

Honestly I think the current batch outside of LB, Lewin Diaz, and Jazz need to go. Our drafted guys are coming and all the players mentioned are going to be on movable contracts. The only predicted signees I would expect to be here 3 years from now out of that group is McCann and La Stella

It wouldn’t be popular but I would approach the Yankees about Gio Urshula with Andujar coming back and see if I could give them Anderson, Alfaro, Diaz and Sierra for him.

• Like 1

FIRE SALE!! Just for the sake of tradition. 

Honestly, I think the organization is going to want to see what we have in the minors first.  To much is invested in them, plus Jeter likes to build within first, from the ground up.  

I prefer we don't sign JT, but I definitely won't complain if we do.  We have a lot of young players who won't demand big salaries right now, so that would be why I'm ok with it.  But if he's asking for a decade type contract it will backfire against us.  We still have a backloaded salary with Stanton. 

I'm all for bullpen improvement, mainly a closer with Kintzler in the set up. 

A lot of Marlins fans are going to be unhappy come next season.  

2 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

But if he's asking for a decade type contract it will backfire against us.

He may seek that but unless some other team is willing to go there, we won’t have to either. It’ll be interesting to see what his market is. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

It wouldn’t be popular but I would approach the Yankees about Gio Urshula with Andujar coming back and see if I could give them Anderson, Alfaro, Diaz and Sierra for him.

Andujar has no value with the glove, if anything he is a liability with the glove. Yankees has been doing a great job of developing their talent within as well. Highly controllable asset and that trade would be an overpay to include Anderson.

I am legit drawing a blank but who is the LB prospect you are referring to? lol 

7 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

Andujar has no value with the glove, if anything he is a liability with the glove. Yankees has been doing a great job of developing their talent within as well. Highly controllable asset and that trade would be an overpay to include Anderson.

LB is Lewis Brinson. That’s his nickname since he was a kid playing against me in Coral Springs and if you think that’s an over pay then I don’t know what to tell you. Anderson has no where near the value of Urshula defensively or offensively. Alfaro would be the value in that trade for the Yankees being that they don’t have a backup catcher/anybody potentially good enough to start over Sánchez. We need to move on from this current batch of prospects because our drafted guys are going to beat their brains in anyways.

Edited by ZfromCIS
10 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

A lot of Marlins fans are going to be unhappy come next season.  

Why do you say that? Unless they do some crazy shit in the offseason lol. My analysis of this year is a phenomenal one. Can’t really complain that Marlins made the playoffs for first time since 2003, had first winning record since 2009, and even won a playoff series! I do expect them to contend for playoffs next year, although not sure what playoff format will be. As far as free agency, Realmuto would be nice, not counting on it. Still holding out hope on Alfaro. For what it is worth, Marcel Ozuna and Dee Gordon (buyout option) could both be free agents this winter. Maybe we try and reunite with one of them? Bullpen piece though I think is definitely a must. And I wanna keep Marte. As far as Yimi Garcia, I thought he was a free agent after next year? 

4 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

Gio Urshula value is more than Anderson and Diaz is a lability at the plate, it evens out even with Sierra. 

Urshula is a stud and would be perfect for this team. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Gio Urshula value is more than Anderson and Diaz is a lability at the plate, it evens out even with Sierra. 

Urshula is a stud and would be perfect for this team. 

And why not move Alfaro to put it over the top and free us up at catcher. Wouldn’t hurt to try.

Gotcha on the LB.

But Lewis Brinson had an improvement year from last year but still no where he needs to be. His OBP wasn't good and he still struggled to end the year. He had a nice stretch for a bit which was greatly needed. They pretty much got him hitting LHP which worked out this year because Matt Joyce was playing a lot against RHP.

Anderson isn't a super star many will tell you that here, but he is very solid and does hold value. He can play high calibar defensive 3B or even RF and has shown he can hit 20HR a year through a full season. I like him as a building block for this organization.

Alfaro doesn't have the high value you speak of. Definitely not enough to get Urshela. If the Yankees are gonna give him up they are gonna want pitching in return. Hitting isn't a problem for them. Go ahead and look at their impending free agents for next year. Pitching is what they need.

10 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

Gotcha on the LB.

But Lewis Brinson had an improvement year from last year but still no where he needs to be. His OBP wasn't good and he still struggled to end the year. He had a nice stretch for a bit which was greatly needed. They pretty much got him hitting LHP which worked out this year because Matt Joyce was playing a lot against RHP.

Anderson isn't a super star many will tell you that here, but he is very solid and does hold value. He can play high calibar defensive 3B or even RF and has shown he can hit 20HR a year through a full season. I like him as a building block for this organization.

Alfaro doesn't have the high value you speak of. Definitely not enough to get Urshela. If the Yankees are gonna give him up they are gonna want pitching in return. Hitting isn't a problem for them. Go ahead and look at their impending free agents for next year. Pitching is what they need.

I don’t you think you’re getting what is being said.

Marlins:

Urshula - all around better player than Anderson

Yankees: 

Anderson- solid 3rd baseman 

Alfaro- quality back up catcher behind Sánchez which they need AND has the potential to be more

Diaz- prospect to help them get veteran pitching 

Sierra- prospect to help them get veteran pitching 

We improve, get rid of a quality catcher who doesn’t gel with our guys, loosen an incoming logjam, and give them a great trade that will help them. They probably would accept on the spot.

Edited by ZfromCIS

Oh I 100% get what is being said. But I strive to be realistic with what I say and I tell you that trade wouldn't happen. You are overvaluing the players outside of Anderson. You have yet to propose a pitcher in that trade. Unless it is Sandy or Lopez it isn't happening.

They want pitchinggggg

Edited by CYmarlins
  • Like 1
Just now, CYmarlins said:

Oh I 100% get what is being said. But I strive to be realistic with what I say and I tell you that trade wouldn't happen. You are overvaluing the players outside of Anderson.

You’re not being realistic. The Yankees want proven veteran pitching. We don’t have that. They don’t have a prospect pool to get there and I’m giving them 2 of the better prospects in our system. They also have a young catcher that they can decide to move for a pitcher because he also has value.