2020 Post-Season Thread

2 hours ago, CYmarlins said:

Andujar has no value with the glove, if anything he is a liability with the glove. Yankees has been doing a great job of developing their talent within as well. Highly controllable asset and that trade would be an overpay to include Anderson.

I am legit drawing a blank but who is the LB prospect you are referring to? lol 

So what is this? Everything started with you saying Marlins should approach Yankees about Urshula because of Andjuar when it's been noted already that Yankees aren't high on Andjuar at 3B because of his defense. In fact it was his injury that opened the door for Urshela to get playing time and succeed. Andujar's value is with the glove and right now he needs to get his value back up because he had been hurt.

YOU got upset because I said what you are offering wouldn't suffice what the Yankees are looking for. It just wouldn't. And that's cool because when someone gets upset they don't wanna see the reasoning.

But either way I am done arguing with you or even discussing anything with you. I am here to talk baseball. Not go back and forth with you. Shame I even went down this route with you.

Edited by CYmarlins
8 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

Honestly, I would do my best to add through free agency and not even discuss a trade. It was just being discussed as an option.

The Front office has to make a decision on if they want to take advantage of this pitching(which is what I would do) or continue trying to develop. This team do some damage if they sign some veteran stop gates like Josh Reddick, Justin Smoak, Tommy La Stella, an a legit catcher in McCann and probably compete for a playoff spot but they have to be willing to budget on that check box a bit. 

Gotta spend 💰 to make 💰 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, CYmarlins said:

Not a war zone. I just stated Andujar wasn't a good option and he got upset about that..

It's good to hear your comments and others. Don't let it get you down.  Nobody should be upset, or try not to, but it happens sometimes. 

• Like 1

So let’s get this back on track. I believe the marlins need to be aggressive. 

C- just gut it. Pay McCann 12-15 mil/yr. Keep Wallach. Package Alfaro somewhere. 

1B- really unattractive market here. Justin Smoak fills the lefty power bat void. Changed my mind here,  I’m fine staying Aguilar/Cooper. I want Lewin Diaz to have an opportunity to win the job eventually.

2nd- I’ve been adamant that I love La Stella here and Josh Harrison. La Stella is going to command more though so I’ll roll with Josh Harrison. That’s probably 4 mil

SS- Miggy Ro until proven other wise

3rd- BA TIL proven other wise

LF- Split between Dickerson and Harold

CF- Starling gets his option picked up

RF- I’m going outside of the box here. I read a couple times during the deadline that Tampa wanted to move a couple of mid-tier guys. Alfaro, Sierra, Isan Diaz for Hunter Renfroe. 3 mil with 3 years control. Probably wouldn’t be hard with the emergence of Randy Arozarena.

Rotation/Pen- Let Vincent walk, Replace with Joakim Soria and let him close. 7 mil

Go get Alex Wood and see if you can strike magic. Make Braxton the 6th starter and continue to let him develop his touch.

All of this is about 33 mil total on top of accepted options.

Lineup: 

1. SS Miggy Ro

2. LF Ramirez/Dickerson

3. CF Starling Marte

4. C James McCann

5. 3rd BA

6. RF Hunter Renfroe

7. 1st Aguilar/Cooper

8. DH Dickerson/Cooper

9. 2nd Harrison

Rotation-

1. Sandy

2. Pablo

3. Alex Wood

4. Sixto

5. Rodgers/Garrett

4 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

Why should we get JT when I can get value with James McCann? I mean JT is really good but I’m not locking into a catcher for 8 years. I save money with McCann that I could use elsewhere.

A JT signing could boost excitement going into the next season enough to possibly improve the new TV contract negotiation.

3 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

A JT signing could boost excitement going into the next season enough to possibly improve the new TV contract negotiation.

Yeah, sign JT first and the broadcast company would increase the value of the contract. 

JT didn't help much in Philly.  Kinda choked down the stretch, him and Harper.  

JT isn't  going to bring in a wide audience or bring in a new TV deal. Thats just glamour thinking.  Loria had that business idea in 2012 to, signing John Buck, Zambrano, Carlos Lee, Heath Bell, Reyes and Buerhie. But at seasons end our record was 69-93. 

We still are on the books to pay Stantons back loaded contract in the height of this teams era.  Add JT to that and you could have Chen problems real fast specially if he breaks down.  Buster Posey and Joe Mauer are prime examples. 

Well, thanks to the Marlins for a fun ride in the 2020 season!

It definitely had it’s ups and downs and share of frustrating moments(citrus series, 29-9 loss, Red Sox series, just to name a few out of many) but it also had some really fun moments like the comeback win vs the Phillies, Sixto’s first few starts, BA’s three HR game, the 7-1 start to the season, and many more!

This was definitely a memorable season for me for sure, it’s moved pretty high up on the list on my list of personal favorite Marlins seasons so far!

It was such a great feeling seeing the Marlins in a playoff chase and making the playoffs for the first time since ‘03!

Definitely an unforgettable year, not just because of everything else going on in the world, but also because the Marlins made the playoffs after losing 105 games last year, so whichever way you look at it, this was still an extremely successful season!

Also, for me personally, it was pretty fun joining this Forum and having some fun discussions and game threads with everyone and sharing the frustrations and fun moments of this season with fellow Marlins fans! I haven’t been on any type of Marlins forum in more than 10 years, I used to go to Marlins Forums a lot back around the ‘03-‘06 seasons, but was a long time since I have been on one, so it was fun to find this one, and surprisingly I found this place to be very chill and pretty cool people overall. I even managed to avoid getting into any good old fashioned forum arguments, as arguing on forums is pretty high on my list of least favorite things to do. 😂

There was a moment where @Michaelthought I was making fun of Vesia and @Photo-Realistic Billy called me out for a slight critique of Mattingly’s in game decisions over the season 😂, but thankfully everyone here is pretty cool and we’re all able to have good discussions without going too far into a good old fashioned forum argument! 😂

I probably won’t be posting that much on here during the offseason, as discussions on possible trades and free agent signings is not my specialty (I like reading about it, just not that good at writing about it) but I’ll check in from time to time over the next few months, hopefully to see some good offseason moves!

Also hoping to see a JT Realmuto signing, mainly just to see the thread that @taiwanmarlin would create about it! 😂

Thanks again to the Marlins and marlins baseball.com for making this a memorable and fun season for me!

Let’s Go Marlins!

• Like 7
  • Banana 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/marlins-recently-extended-michael-hill.html

Mike Hill's contract with the Marlins expired after this season, so where is the new deal !?

I believe Jeter see him as the helmsman of this rebuilding, but what's the reason he's not yet be extended ? the job offering from other teams ? should we worry to lose him ?

8 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

It wouldn’t be popular but I would approach the Yankees about Gio Urshula with Andujar coming back and see if I could give them Anderson, Alfaro, Diaz and Sierra for him.

This was ... basically the biggest problem with the Loria group. 🤐

Anderson is actually much better on defense than Urshela and in reality (without looking at numbers, just top of my head after park factors are probably added) most likely similar on offense.

Alfaro is whatever at this point, I've actually suggested trading him to the Yankees this offseason but that is contingent upon signing JT back.

Then throwing two more players on top of that? Super no. 😞

On top of all that ... Andujar is more than likely the expendable one there. And he'd be a lot cheaper than four players. Could probably just send them a lower level minor league player to be honest. And that would also require the DH staying because Andujar wears a literal brick for a glove.

I also really want to emphasize - Urshela looks so good and gets so much love on defense from the media and all because he directly replaced Andujar there. Urshela on defense is actually ... average. Solid, don't get me wrong here, he'll do the job - but he's average. Average was a far, far, far cry from what Andujar provided - literally the worst in baseball.

Our biggest strength going forward is going to be our depth. We will use that strength to patch up weaknesses, as we attempted this year trading some pitching for Marte, who we probably end up flipping for another need at the 2021 deadline unless he's absolutely going off and we need him to stick around.

Just my two cents here. 💙

• Like 1

I’m of the opinion that this FO is going to look to fill holes (C, RP) through trades rather than relying on free agency. 

Both the diamondbacks and dodgers are teams to keep an eye on as they have a surplus of catching depth: 

Arizona: Kelly + Varsho 

Dodgers: Smith + Ruiz 

Ruiz would likely command a much higher return, but I think Carson Kelly is a guy to keep an eye on. These teams have traded twice as of recent. 

We have a ton of hitting prospects that are intriguing (Jerar, Burdick, Scott, Misner) but are far from sure things. same goes for guys who have seen big league time (Monte, Sierra, etc.)

I think we’ll have an idea of where he organization stands on these guys this offseason, because I could definitely see at least one of these guys shipped off to fill out the major league roster. 

just my 2 cents

14 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

He may seek that but unless some other team is willing to go there, we won’t have to either. It’ll be interesting to see what his market is. 

I think someone will go there because he's at a premium position. Having "the best catcher in baseball" is a big deal especially because the drop off after the top guys is so huge, JT can be a literal difference maker for many teams.

22 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Anyone think this season has elevated the organization in terms of actually being a desired destination for free agents instead of the usual apathy that players have towards coming here?

Yes

36 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yes

I don’t think we should consider ourselves a desired destination to we actually show that we’re willing to pay to be competitive. 

16 hours ago, CYmarlins said:

Just a heads up on Kintzler because I have seen this a couple times posted already. Marlins have an option for next year so I think the Marlins will end  up keeping his especially for this amount.

I was going to say, I thought we had an option on him.

17 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Great, fun, exciting, inspiring season. I'm looking forward to next year.

I'd really love to see at least 2 of Isan, Jazz, Jesus, Lewin, Lewis, Magneuris, and Monte (I, J, J, L, L, M, and M lol) hit enough next year at some point to stick in the lineup. That would have me feeling much better about the future.

I think we've got enough rotation arms that I wouldn't sign anyone unless they truly have great upside. Pablo, Sandy, Sixto are locks. Elieser, Braxton, Trevor, Edward, Max Meyer, Castano all in the pipeline.

• I think we can upgrade C, 1B, LF, and RF
  • I'm down with Marte, Rojas, Anderson, and Berti
  • Hopefully the aforementioned 6 youngsters can shore up 2 of those spots.
  • Berti can play 2B or an outfield spot.
  • Aguilar is fine for the low price tag.
  • Obviously JT Realmuto would be a massive upgrade.

Just for fun:

• Starling Marte
  • Miguel Rojas
  • Brian Anderson
  • JT Realmuto
  • Aguilar/Cooper/Diaz
  • DH
  • Berti
  • LF/RF/2B (non-Berti)
  • LF/RF/2B (non-Berti)

And I'm always down to add/retain quality bullpen arms. Obviously Yimi was terrific.

The problem with the young guys this year was no minor league season, so the only "games" they got in was whatever they played at the ATS.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Anyone think this season has elevated the organization in terms of actually being a desired destination for free agents instead of the usual apathy that players have towards coming here?

I do think it certainly improves things, obviously, as guys realize "oh they're not the 'bottom feeders' they were made out to be anymore, but I don't know if it'd call us a truly "desired destination" yet.  Much like the fans, it's going to take years of consistent success (or at the very least no implosions) and reasonable contract offers for it to become a desired place for FAs.

9 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

I don’t think we should consider ourselves a desired destination to we actually show that we’re willing to pay to be competitive. 

Not only this, but keeping guys through the full term of their contracts (or at least most of, in cases where we're out of it by the trade deadline later in their contract) and not heavily backloading them all and dumping them after year 1.

I imagine we'll see more evenly structured contracts if/when we sign guys, vs. Loria's backloading everything.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I think there’s something to this. As other poster have stated, it will take more than just one year to make this a desired destination, but I do think this season did help us shed the notion that signing with Miami is a last resort for a guy looking to play in October. 

If someone was already interested in playing in Miami, this season would make them especially excited for an opportunity. 

If someone had zero interest in coming to Miami, this season might make them take a second look at any opportunities that could arise. 

I do think any FA’s or guys with no trade clauses who happen to have relationships with Kintzler, Rojas, Joyce etc might be more aware of what Miami is building, and more inclined to consider Miami a desired destination. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, ZfromCIS said:

I'm not saying free agents are lining up to come here... I'm saying in the past free agents saw the Marlins coming and they ran the other way. That much should be starting to change. 

25 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

I think there’s something to this. As other poster have stated, it will take more than just one year to make this a desired destination, but I do think this season did help us shed the notion that signing with Miami is a last resort for a guy looking to play in October. 

If someone was already interested in playing in Miami, this season would make them especially excited for an opportunity. 

If someone had zero interest in coming to Miami, this season might make them take a second look at any opportunities that could arise. 

I do think any FA’s or guys with no trade clauses who happen to have relationships with Kintzler, Rojas, Joyce etc might be more aware of what Miami is building, and more inclined to consider Miami a desired destination. 

This.