Marlins, Hill Parting Ways

Just doing an offseason checking in on this site and I was surprised to see this news.

I guess I’m not super surprised since at the end of the day the Marlins team is a business and anyone who has been in or around the corporate world will know that when new leadership/ownership comes to a business it’s pretty normal for them to bring their own managers and/or replace the positions with new people.

Still it’s a little sad seeing as Michael Hill as far as I know was the only remaining member in the organization that was here in ‘03, or at least he was the most prominent. Now the only one left is Billy the Marlin! 😂 

I hope to see Hill get a good position with any club that will happy to have him!

One thing I’ve wondered about is that I get the feeling that Jeter is a pretty traditional baseball guy, and I know that it’s much more common in MLB to have the position of “GM” as opposed to “President of Baseball operations.”

I’m not thinking it’s an ego driven thing, just the the title “President of Baseball Operations” implies a higher position on the corporate ladder than just “GM”, even if it’s mostly the same job duties.

It will be interesting to see if the next guy who gets hired will have the same “President of Baseball Operations” title or the more classic, traditional “GM”.

18 minutes ago, Michael said:

Oh ... about that.

... it's not even the same person in the suit anymore.

That's right, they made a big stink when the guy was replaced as if Jeter was out to destroy this organization so badly that even Billy got axed. So stupid, Jeter probably doesn't even know the guy got replaced. 

Speaking of Billy, everyone now is giving Jeter more props but he still doesn't get enough shit for the physical changes to Billy. 

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

The new Billy design still sucks. Too creepy looking. That is the one thing I can't forgive Jeter for.

Ironically I think they were trying to make him more kid friendly lol.

• Like 1

Not trying to make this a #CheapJeter joke but didn't Loria give Hill a big time raise before he sold the team? It's possible that new contract negotiations included a pay cut and that Hill just didn't wanna accept that. Assuming Loria "overpaid" Hill then Jeter may just not have wanted to keep spending so much money on a position that was now being run by so many people anyways. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Not trying to make this a #CheapJeter joke but didn't Loria give Hill a big time raise before he sold the team? It's possible that new contract negotiations included a pay cut and that Hill just didn't wanna accept that. Assuming Loria "overpaid" Hill then Jeter may just not have wanted to keep spending so much money on a position that was now being run by so many people anyways. 

very likely included a pay cut considering Don took a pay cut when his Loria-era contract expired too.

4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

What I've read makes me think that Mike Hill had a bigger say in not returning than Jeter did. Hill earned himself the chance to stay but Jeter wanted to restructure baseball ops department and Hill probably just wasn't comfortable with what his new role would be. If so it's a bit of a shame but it's also understandable. Hill earned himself the right to be the top guy but if he couldn't get that he also has every right to back out and Jeter has every right to organize baseball ops the way he wants.

I do like the idea of Hill hopping over to help fix the Reds organization. That would be cool. Hopefully he gets the chance because there's so many times an executive with a good reputation leaves somewhere but never actually gets picked up elsewhere, like Beinfest. 

I'm still shocked Beinfest never got another GM job.  Sometimes guys take a year or two off, and then reappear with a team, but he just disappeared.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I think this is probably true too.

----

Most of what I'll say has been said by others, but I'll chime in anyway.....

On one hand, I'm surprised by this move given how the team performed this year, and how well they've done with the farm building over the last few years.

On the other hand, it's not entirely shocking, given that he was still working under the Loria contract extension, and we were expecting him to be let go in the ownership transition.  I think Jeter would've loved to retain him, but likely was going to be given a severe pay cut and decided not to take it, and with his contract up, they just decided to part ways.

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hendry, eh? Hmmmmm.

The important part is that he's been with the Yankees.  Clearly that needs to be on the resume to land a job down here lololol

52 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The important part is that he's been with the Yankees.  Clearly that needs to be on the resume to land a job down here lololol

Seems to be working! Players love Denbo and the culture has shifted big time. 

• Like 1

I think it’s pretty easy to say that Hill had more say with Loria than he did with Jeter. Jeter brought guys from the yankees here and gave them elevated roles. That’s all that needs to be said.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

That's right, they made a big stink when the guy was replaced as if Jeter was out to destroy this organization so badly that even Billy got axed. So stupid, Jeter probably doesn't even know the guy got replaced. 

Speaking of Billy, everyone now is giving Jeter more props but he still doesn't get enough shit for the physical changes to Billy. 

The new billy costume is still horrendous 

Jeter is all business. I'm not saying Hill didn't do his job, far from it. I just think Jeter knows exactly what he's looking for and demands everyone to be all in. 

This goes for the players as well. We seen it this year, players playing at a high level.  The effort and hustle was apparent and the attitude was contagious.  Players are held accountable, you can just tell.  Villar was a perfect example of not doing your job and then getting traded. We might see Brinson, Alfaro, Elieser and I Diaz trades this winter.  With Elieser, Mattingly said his injury was a direct cause from not preparing days before his start.  Alfaro lost his job, Diaz decided to take shelter from covid and Brinson, he has matured but maybe to little to late.  

I'm just speculating here based on what Jeter has done so far.  

11 hours ago, ZfromCIS said:

I think it’s pretty easy to say that Hill had more say with Loria than he did with Jeter. Jeter brought guys from the yankees here and gave them elevated roles. That’s all that needs to be said.

Huh? I see this differently.

Jeter brought more guys to work with and around Mike Hill but it seems like Jeter valued Hill's input way more than Loria did. Hill may have had "more say" with Loria but that doesn't mean Loria actually took Hill's say.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Huh? I see this differently.

Jeter brought more guys to work with and around Mike Hill but it seems like Jeter valued Hill's input way more than Loria did. Hill may have had "more say" with Loria but that doesn't mean Loria actually took Hill's say.

Agreed. I am pretty sure Loria didn't listen to anyone. Loria did what Loria wanted even when everyone else said it was a bad idea. He thought he was George Steinbrenner. 

6 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Players are held accountable, you can just tell.  Villar was a perfect example of not doing your job and then getting traded. We might see Brinson, Alfaro, Elieser and I Diaz trades this winter.  With Elieser, Mattingly said his injury was a direct cause from not preparing days before his start.  Alfaro lost his job, Diaz decided to take shelter from covid and Brinson, he has matured but maybe to little to late.  

A bit of a stretch on these here...

I highly doubt they have a problem with Isan opting out, especially since he did return.

Brinson matured late but he's improved so he's done the work and I doubt they punish him for it. He deserves plenty of praise for his 2020.

I'm not sold on Alfaro being demoted. He lost his spot over a span of 5 games, postseason games in which our starting pitching needed to be almost pristine, and there were clear signs that the pitching was better with Wallach especially in the last several weeks. But it was still just 5 games. If anything it was more of a compliment to Wallach than a punishment to Alfaro. If we go through a full season with Alfaro and Wallach again there's almost no chance Alfaro suddenly gets less starts than Wallach. I just don't think they've actually given up on Alfaro. I'll need more proof over way more than just a 5 game span.

And Elieser was so great this year, he's another one who stepped up and proved he can be a part of this team, he's not being demoted or punished.

In every one of those situations it's very possible the Marlins look for more options, more help, more depth but you're making it sound like all four of those guys are on the way out as a punishment in the same way Villar was and I don't see that at all.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

A bit of a stretch on these here...

I highly doubt they have a problem with Isan opting out, especially since he did return.

Brinson matured late but he's improved so he's done the work and I doubt they punish him for it. He deserves plenty of praise for his 2020.

I'm not sold on Alfaro being demoted. He lost his spot over a span of 5 games, postseason games in which our starting pitching needed to be almost pristine, and there were clear signs that the pitching was better with Wallach especially in the last several weeks. But it was still just 5 games. If anything it was more of a compliment to Wallach than a punishment to Alfaro. If we go through a full season with Alfaro and Wallach again there's almost no chance Alfaro suddenly gets less starts than Wallach. I just don't think they've actually given up on Alfaro. I'll need more proof over way more than just a 5 game span.

And Elieser was so great this year, he's another one who stepped up and proved he can be a part of this team, he's not being demoted or punished.

In every one of those situations it's very possible the Marlins look for more options, more help, more depth but you're making it sound like all four of those guys are on the way out as a punishment in the same way Villar was and I don't see that at all.

Brinson kind of shat the bed towards the end. Looking at his line at the end of the year, and it fell back down to earth. I hope it has more to do with the season being cut short than him being lucky early on...

I for one feel that it's about time! Long overdue. It just looks odd because we made the playoffs. However, if this would've happened last year, the reality is that we'd all be unanimously celebrating.

As for replacement, if we go out of the organization, I'd be interested in Dave Dombrowski. While I know many people will point to the aftermath of what happened in Detroit and Boston, I will point to what he did with the Marlins with building a winner from expansion, then after being ordered to trade away everyone, he restocked us for years that eventually led us to winning that second championship in 2003 with a roster filled with guys that Dombrowski brought in...D-Lee, Castillo, Gonzalez, Lowell, Miggy, Beckett, Penny, Burnett, Looper, etc. And then there were guys brought in with guys that he added, like Pierre (for Preston Wilson and CJ), Encarnacion and Pavano (for Dempster and Floyd), and Willis (part of Alfonseca deal).

As for the future of the team, for me, when you make the playoffs and let go of Mike Hill in the same year, the future is bright.

Go Marlins!!!