2020 World Series Thread

Tampa Bay Rays vs. Los Angeles Dodgers.

Who are you going for?

I have mixed feelings about this one, on the one hand, I like the Dodgers and I'm happy that they made it and they are the only other team in the NL after the Marlins that I wanted to see make it to the WS.

On the other hand, there is the fact that the Rays are the other Florida team and they have never won the WS before and they have only been around since 1998 so that would be fun as well to see them get that title after not being relevant in the AL East or MLB playoff race for most of their history.

This is a very evenly matched WS seeing as both teams were the best in the AL and NL so I can't really say either team is an underdog in this series.

Well, I'm not super invested in this World Series (or any non Marlins game, actually), I probably won't even watch that much of the series, probably just check the scores from time to time during the game.

So as a fan, I guess either team winning would be fine with me, if the Dodgers win, I would be happy for them, and if the Rays win they would definitely deserve it after a great season! (Even if I'm still a little bit frustrated about them going 5-1 against the Marlins this year.) ūüėā

5 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Dodgers win!

I'm happy for them.. They definitely deserved it.

Meh. 

It was a short season with expanded playoffs, half the league got in the playoffs, and the Dodgers record was helped with wins in some 7 inning games. 

• Haha 2

Saw one headline that called this Dodgers team the best Dodgers team ever. I thought the narrative for this season was that none of these teams records/winning percentages would be the same if this was a full season? Moving the goalposts again?

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Saw one headline that called this Dodgers team the best Dodgers team ever. I thought the narrative for this season was that none of these teams records/winning percentages would be the same if this was a full season? Moving the goalposts again?

Only the Marlins would have had a different and much worse season, duh

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

Only the Marlins would have had a different and much worse season, duh

And everyone else would have had a different but better season.

If the 2020 season was 162 games the Marlins would have sank to last place, the Phillies and Mets would eventually overcome their issues to clinch the playoff berths they were guaranteed, and the Dodgers would have won 140 regular season games.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Nobody would have second guessed Cash for leaving him in, just a bonehead decision

The people who don't believe in analytics are gonna have a field day with this one for a long time.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

The people who don't believe in analytics are gonna have a field day with this one for a long time.

Rightfully so. Need to put down the computer and use your own eyes/brain/gut sometimes.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Rightfully so. Need to put down the computer and use your own eyes/brain/gut sometimes.

Yep. Last night was proof that even the most analytically driven teams need to use their own brains sometimes. Analytics is a great tool but it can't be the only tool.

Not to mention the mental aspect for the opponents as well. Apparently when Snell was pulled the Dodgers dugout was ecstatic and Roberts says Mookie gave him a smile at that moment... was that in the Rays analytical paperwork?

3 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I think it's a mistake to frame this as old school vs. analytical thinking. The Dodgers are an analytical team too, and they didn't do this with Kershaw. This appears to be a uniquely Rays- or possibly Snell-related pattern.

Well it's not as simple as old school vs analytical but it's more about just how reliant and how strict a team can become about the analytics in terms of in game decision making. With this move the Rays have shown a stubbornness, sticking to the analytics to a fault in a situation where simple baseball logic says that maybe some more human thought needs to be brought in as well.

I think about Kevin Cash in this situation and I know he's an analytical manager but he was also a major league player and I think there has to naturally be plenty of moments where he wonders if he's doing the right thing sticking to the analytics. Don't forget he's considered a great clubhouse manager and team leader as well so he's clearly not just a robot spitting out front office driven moves alone. 

It also makes me question how much say he truly has with moves like this. Could Cash have actually left Snell in if he thought it was the right move or were his hands tied? How forceful is the Rays front office with moves like this? Despite being a good team leader is Cash ultimately just following orders as far as in game decisions?

• 2 weeks later...