Sign in to follow this  
97marlin

Our pitching is actually really good!!!!!!

You guys are always so negative. Our pitching is some of the best in the league. Even guys like Romo who have been bad, if you check statcast have been just very unlucky. Steckinrider and Chen are actually bad at baseball and SHOULD be sent down/released. But beyond that we should be dominating, and we kind of are. 
Alcantara, the ground ball machine, has coaxed hitters into bad contact.

KKaleb Smith has been one of the most dominant pitchers in all of baseball.

Pablo Lopez has furthered the trend and has been very unlucky. 

Trevor Richards has been league average. The bulldog has been league average, he is our 4th best pitcher and he has been league average most teams do not have a 5 who is league average.

And Urena...welll he is urena. He had is crappy april, righted the ship early, now is back to being a dependable arm (personally I'd like him to be traded).

Oh yeah did I mention we have lots of other guys in the minors who look awesome too. 

I know this is not what this board is about. Talking about what this team has done well. But we look really good. 

So now the big question, does anyone know how to make our offense league average?

• Like 1

The positive about lopez and sandy still ends up being that they are at least MLB-level starting pitchers (or so it seems)...unlike the position players which are a bunch of older guys who would be bench bats elsewhere, and very little else other than anderson and hopefully alfaro

• Like 1

Our pitching is awesome, our hitting is improving, and we have the best experience and popcorn in all of baseball. 

You guys are truly too negative, this team is the best.

PS-Christian Yelich is overrated.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

I do like our pitching, really. I will agree on some bad luck.

If the offense can come around and start scoring at least four runs a game, I think the pitching will be even better since they won't feel as though they have to be perfect every time out.

• Like 1

Our Pitching has incredible potential... and it reminds me of the early 2000's pitching staff. If this core group can become Penny, Burnett, Willis, Dempster and Beckett we have a legit chance to keep this staff together unlike the 98 and 2005 rebuilds.

I'm really hoping the Marlins mean what they say when they are willing to spend, but most of all I'm hopeful they are willing to spend to KEEP their players too. Burnett pitched himself a hissy fit and was sent packing, Penny HAD to get traded to get a legit catcher because we didn't spend, and Derek Lee was sent packing because of money issues.

If the 2004 team kept Lee, and had just signed a decent catcher over Ramon Castro- we never would have lost Penny. Pudge should have been signed just for PR, but we all knew that was never going to happen. 2003 still felt like a dagger losing three starters and two SP (Burnett was injured).

• Like 1

The potential is really good with more on the way... But with kids pitching, there will be ups and downs and making mistakes.  Pablo said last night that for him it's getting better results the 2nd or 3rd time thru the line-up.... He only has about 15 mlb starts which is amazing given how he pitched against the Indians

When you're "rebuilding", "tanking", going through "the process", or whatever you want to call it, the only thing that means anything is to find out who can play and who can't. Sometimes the guys who can play are those you don't expect - there wasn't much of a reason to expect Realmuto to become one of the best catchers in baseball, and Dontrelle Willis was sent to us when the Cubs wouldn't agree to send the guy we wanted in one of the numerous salary-dumps of the John Henry era. Sometimes the guys you think are going to be great just aren't (I'm looking at you, Jeremy Hermida).  If Alcantara doesn't work out, so what - there's a number of other guys waiting for their shot. And if none of those guys work out, either, then there's the draft and future trades. At some point this Summer, Starlin Castro will be dealt to a contender with a need in the IF - maybe Tampa - to make room for Isan Diaz. This team is NOT in a hurry, so they have time to assemble a group of 15-20 guys who can play.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, CyggyMarlin said:

The potential is really good with more on the way... But with kids pitching, there will be ups and downs and making mistakes.  Pablo said last night that for him it's getting better results the 2nd or 3rd time thru the line-up.... He only has about 15 mlb starts which is amazing given how he pitched against the Indians

Theres a decent article on The Athletic talking about all the arms we have coming up through the system. Sanchez and Gallen are highlighed obviously, but also the Jupiter staff too. Halloway, Edward Cabrera, Will Stewart, Braxton Garrett, Treveor Rodgers, Jordan Millbath and Dustin Beggs.

Jim Bowden also says Caleb Smith is a trade canidate teams like the AStros, Phillies and Braves will covet- and can be flipped for some bats.

• Like 1