Sign in to follow this  
SonOfJack

Players extremely unhappy about shadows from open roof

I can’t explain why but the contrast between the sun and the shade at marlins park looks far greater than those other pictures.  Maybe it’s the time of day.  Those LA shadows are late afternoon.  

Holly made an observation about the OF shadows.  The batters eye is in the shadows, the hitter is in the shadows and then it’s sun in between.  That seems to be unique to marlins park.  I wonder if that additional layer of contrast makes a difference ?

9F28B748-2E3A-4F89-96A9-C74A0CE55442.thumb.jpeg.e293d9734a8209fa66520d27d65e54b8.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

And he was right. Even less people show up now for for the day games. The fans hate it. The players hate it. Close the roof. 

I refuse to sit in the blistering heat to watch the marlins suck. Having the roof closed during day games was one of the things i looked forward to when they made the ballpark.

7 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Holly made an observation about the OF shadows.  The batters eye is in the shadows, the hitter is in the shadows and then it’s sun in between.  That seems to be unique to marlins park.  I wonder if that additional layer of contrast makes a difference ?

That may be it, then. Hmm.

My dad and I are so different about the roof. My dad is old school; he feels baseball should be played outside in its natural environment; I like when the roof is closed because when it is somewhat filled, it can get pretty loud. I also feel like it is cool to play baseball inside as not everyone gets a chance to experience that. Imo, The roof should only be open for certain night games; max 20 times a year. 

• Like 3

I definitely agree baseball should be played outdoors on a gorgeous sunny day...

I also agree that major league baseball is a business and the comfort of your paying customers should take priority over baseball traditions.

If you have a retractable roof that can provide cover on an unbearably hot day, use it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I definitely agree baseball should be played outdoors on a gorgeous sunny day...

I also agree that major league baseball is a business and the comfort of your paying customers should take priority over baseball traditions.

If you have a retractable roof that can provide cover on an unbearably hot day, use it.

But... was it an unbearingly hot day- or just a sunny day? I know I always get seats on the 1B side just so I can stay under the roof even if it rains (see 2015's? Rain Delay).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

But... was it an unbearingly hot day- or just a sunny day? I know I always get seats on the 1B side just so I can stay under the roof even if it rains (see 2015's? Rain Delay).

Is that the opening day one?  I was there and everyone was like WTF?  Only the Marlins could have a rain delay in a retractable roof park.  And the ridiculous thing was, by the time they got the roof closed, the one little cloud that rained on everyone passed, and it was clear the rest of the day/night but the rest of the game was played with the roof closed.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Is that the opening day one?  I was there and everyone was like WTF?  Only the Marlins could have a rain delay in a retractable roof park.  And the ridiculous thing was, by the time they got the roof closed, the one little cloud that rained on everyone passed, and it was clear the rest of the day/night but the rest of the game was played with the roof closed.

I was there, too. lol. All sorts of WTFery. Remember calling my father when the rain was coming down cause he was at work and saying, "you won't believe this ... WE'RE IN A RAIN DELAY!" We had a nice lengthy laugh about that one.