Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Barry Jackson's take on Mattingly's future

▪ Don Mattingly’s contract expires at the end of this season, and it would be a shame if he becomes a sacrificial lamb. The highly competent Mattingly deserves to see this process through. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman polled baseball front-office people, and the view expressed is that Mattingly is the best manager in the NL East, even though he has the worst team in the division.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox and The Athletic said if the Marlins do move on from Mattingly, one candidate “to keep in mind” is Astros bench coach Joe Espada, who was the Marlins’ third-base coach from 2010 to 2013.

Rosenthal noted: “Espada, 43, joined the Yankees as a special assistant to GM Brian Cashman in ‘14, the last season of Marlins CEO Derek Jeter’s playing career with New York. He then served as the team’s third-base and infield coach from 2015 to ‘17, when Marlins vice-president of scouting and player development Gary Denbo was the Yankees’ farm director.”

If the Marlins did make a change after this season — and there’s no indication they plan to — one internal candidate likely would be infield and first base coach Trey Hillman, whom the organization holds in high regard.

We’ve been cautioned not to read anything into the fact that Mattingly’s contract wasn’t extended. This is simply Jeter’s way of doing business from his experience with the Yankees. So Mattingly could very well stick long-term, and that would be the smart move.

Kinda surprised on some of his takes here.

I don't know if that supposed poll reflects well on Mattingly, or just poorly on the other NL East managers.

I don't see a scenario that he's back.  But what do I know.

I'm surprised Jackson is leaning towards Don staying and that he's so supportive of it. I think the general feeling is that Don isn't a very good manager (or that we can at least get someone better) and that the smart move would be to move on from him and that him not having an extension is more of a sign of him on the way out than staying put.

Like I half-heartedly suggested, keep Donnie on as a hitting coach. It's just his bullpen management that's awful. I've felt for a long time he's a good player's manager, just, the bullpen thing.

Just now, Michael said:

Like I half-heartedly suggested, keep Donnie on as a hitting coach. It's just his bullpen management that's awful. I've felt for a long time he's a good player's manager, just, the bullpen thing.

I agree though I assume he'd decline that offer if it was made.