Tigers hire cheater as new manager

Good title. I can't believe teams really think this guy is the best choice. There are plenty of great managers available. This is a low hanging fruit that isn't even that good. Not worth the baggage it brings.

It is odd to me how thus far the LaRussa move has gotten more shit from fans and the media than this one. Hiring a 76 year old is somehow worse than hiring a cheater.

Yeah I know Tony was accused of cheating by McDowell but that isn't known for sure. We know Hinch and his Astros cheated.

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

It is odd to me how thus far the LaRussa move has gotten more shit from fans and the media than this one. Hiring a 76 year old is somehow worse than hiring a cheater.

Yeah I know Tony was accused of cheating by McDowell but that isn't known for sure. We know Hinch and his Astros cheated.

That's not why people are against TLR's hiring, a lot more to do with player personnel of the White Sox and TLR being, uh, old.

Just now, Michael said:

That's not why people are against TLR's hiring, a lot more to do with player personnel of the White Sox and TLR being, uh, old.

I know it isn't about McDowell's accusation. It is about his age.

As far as hiring AJ, he did his time.

He was known as one of the most brilliant managers in the league prior to that scandal.   He should have ended it or looked more into it when he heard about it, but he didnt and he paid for it.

19 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

He was known as one of the most brilliant managers in the league prior to that scandal.   He should have ended it or looked more into it when he heard about it, but he didnt and he paid for it.

HARD disagree

It should have been a lifetime ban and since Manfred has no balls, the teams should’ve made sure it was by blacklisting him. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I know it isn't about McDowell's accusation. It is about his age.

More some comments he's made rather than his age, really.

He may have changed since then and seen the light. I'm not one to hold someone's past against them, especially if they show they're trying to change.

If reports are true that he wasn't part of the cheating and tried stopping it then maybe a lifetime ban for Hinch would be too much. But... 

I'm more upset that he and Cora are't getting a longer "punishment" from people in the game. I don't like that these guys are getting rewarded 30 minutes after their suspension ends (this was a report about Hinch) as if they did nothing wrong, served their time, and are magically absolved of every wrongdoing. 

I think they should have gotten their punishment (longer than a year at least) but then after that MLB teams should be making an example of them and absolutely not consider them for jobs for a long time after the punishments have ended. 

There are plenty of great people who get fired from MLB positions and are never given another chance and now we have these two cheaters being rewarded 30 mins after their suspension ends. It's a bad look. It shows cheap desperation. Its rewarding the wrong people. They need to serve their time on paper in terms of their punishment but they need to serve their time in term of the reaction from their MLB peers as well. 

If Hinch got a job again 10 years from now I'd look at this differently. Its the immediate nature of his rehiring that's killing me and I'm sure Cora will be just as rewarding shortly. 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:50 AM, Das Texan said:

Agree.  He served his sentence. That's kinda how the system works, or is supposed to?  He served the amount of time his suspension was for and became eligible again.  I don't have a problem with giving someone another chance.  If I was a Tigers fan I'd probably be mildly excited just because as you said, he was looked at at one of the most promising managerial minds out there before his fall from grace. 

I also agree with you that the LaRussa hire straight reeks of cronyism and barring some drastic life-altering experience that changed Tony's managerial style while he was taking a nap - i'd be pretty pissed off as a White Sox fan.  But again, nothing technically 'wrong' with the hire other than being stupid.

People are way too forgiving of a guy who was involved in cheating. Not to mention that the cheating resulted in a World Series title. It kills the integrity of the game to have people like him in it.

• Like 3

Not to mention that punishment/serving his time in this scenario is basically just a guy getting a vacation. This dude was living comfortably with a great job and all he got was a year off from work, only to be rehired 30 minutes after his time for yet another high paying position. It's not like a regular person that a year off from work would be financially devastating for them and then after the year they would probably have a hard time finding work again. Hinch got a vacation and then immediately transitioned back to work.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you guys hear that former Astros GM Jeff Luhnow is suing the Astros because he feels the Astros colluded with MLB to place the blame on him in exchange for letting them keep the 2017 championship and not punishing anyone else? Upfront it sounds like sour grapes from Luhnow but considering how the punishments or lack of punishments ended up this guy might have a case. I could totally see Manfred and Crane saying let's throw everything on Luhnow and let everyone else off the hook while not making them give up the world series title.