Sign in to follow this  
HanleyDavidson

Chip Bowers Fired.

Bowers tweeted a bunch during the off-season, ST and first week of the season. He then abruptly stopped tweeting a few weeks ago. I would guess that is when whatever issue happened, happened. They then spent a few weeks deciding how to best handle it.

I feel like a conspiracy theorist, but that sounds more plausible to me than him sitting in a corner doing nothing.

• Like 1

While saying very little the key term is accountability. If Jeter is gonna cut whoever doesn't pull their weight I'm ok with that. Be warned, Don Mattingly and Mike Hill.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Bowers tweeted a bunch during the off-season, ST and first week of the season. He then abruptly stopped tweeting a few weeks ago. I would guess that is when whatever issue happened, happened. They then spent a few weeks deciding how to best handle it.

I feel like a conspiracy theorist, but that sounds more plausible to me than him sitting in a corner doing nothing.

So he was fired because he didn't tweet enough? Man they're taking the social media push very seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

So he was fired because he didn't tweet enough? Man they're taking the social media push very seriously. 

You're joking but when I was typing that, I knew someone was going to say it either as a joke or real.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

You're joking but when I was typing that, I knew someone was going to say it either as a joke or real.

The funny thing is that I had to read your post like 3 times to make sure that wasn't what you were saying because for some reason that's how my brain read it even though I knew that wasn't what you meant. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Magic Johnson submitted his resume already.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Hm.  Maybe he was taking his last looks at the game when I saw him on the concourse.  Now I definitely wish I had talked to him.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

While saying very little the key term is accountability. If Jeter is gonna cut whoever doesn't pull their weight I'm ok with that. Be warned, Don Mattingly and Mike Hill.

Right I'm on board with accountability, but you usually don't fire a guy in a high up position like that after 14 months unless he did something horrible.  That isn't a lot of time to right a ship, especially one as aground as the Marlins.

---

ESPN had a short article on it now that expands the quote...

"This has to do with our overall business strategy and accountability," Jeter said. "We felt as though there was a change needed. We have high expectations. Some of those expectations weren't met."

Bowers was negotiating deals for television and ballpark naming rights.  His dismissal had nothing to do with attendance, Jeter said, but the CEO acknowledged persistent fan apathy is disappointing.

"We'd love to see more people here," said Jeter, whose group bought the team 19 months ago.  "We're working hard on gaining the trust of our fan base."

Winning would help, but the team appears destined for a 10th consecutive losing season.  Although the young Marlins are rebuilding, Jeter believes they're also underachieving.  "I think everyone knows we're better than this," he said.  "There shouldn't be a person in this building that's happy with how we've played."

I mean maybe he wasn't happy with how negotiations are going for naming rights and TV deals?  I just still think the whole thing is very odd and out of nowhere.  Almost a Loria level like with managers.

As for the fan apathy - uh, no s**t Sherlock - the team sucks and people don't want to pay to watch a team lose night after night, compounded by the fact nobody trusts the Marlins organization.

• Like 1

For some reason the quoting messed up and included my response in the quote box.  I italicized the article snippet, my answer is normal text.

More DTrain speculation:

Jeter has grossly underestimated how much YEARS of mismanagement by prior ownership has done to kill interest in pro baseball in South Florida.  

I stuck around after the Stanton, Yelich, Gordon, Realmuto deals, but Bowers being fired is where I draw the line.

Later.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2