MarlinsFan19

Disney Sells Fox Sports Florida and Sun to Sinclair

According to a news report, Sinclair Broadcasting has agreed to buy the Fox Regional Sports Networks for about $10 Billion. Sinclair owns Stadium which is 24/7 sports network that specializes in highlighting Group of 5 NCAA programs with live events from C-USA, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.). Interesting to see if the sale will effect coverage of the Marlins in the long term.

FYI: Sinclair will be negotiating the Marlins TV Deal which ends shortly.  Also, Sinclair gets all of the Florida Gators multimedia rights including Radio, TV Studio Shows, and other forms of marketing such as signage at facilities.

Learfield-IMG College has the Gators radio rights through a subcontract with Fox Sports Regional Networks.

The Marlins next TV deal should average $100 Million per year since by 2028 we will be the only team in the 3rd largest state in the U.S. after the Rays move to Montreal/Portland/Las Vegas.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/disney-fox-rsns-sinclair-1203203930/?yptr=yahoo

2 hours ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

According to a news report, Sinclair Broadcasting has agreed to buy the Fox Regional Sports Networks for about $10 Billion. Sinclair owns Stadium which is 24/7 sports network that specializes in highlighting Group of 5 NCAA programs with live events from C-USA, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.). Interesting to see if the sale will effect coverage of the Marlins in the long term.

FYI: Sinclair will be negotiating the Marlins TV Deal which ends shortly.  Also, Sinclair gets all of the Florida Gators multimedia rights including Radio, TV Studio Shows, and other forms of marketing such as signage at facilities.

Learfield-IMG College has the Gators radio rights through a subcontract with Fox Sports Regional Networks.

The Marlins next TV deal should average $100 Million per year since by 2028 we will be the only team in the 3rd largest state in the U.S. after the Rays move to Montreal/Portland/Las Vegas.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/disney-fox-rsns-sinclair-1203203930/?yptr=yahoo

Well unfortunately for the Marlins they will have to figure out their tv deal while the Rays are still in the Florida area.  The deal will probably be at least 15 years I'd guess.  I imagine any idea of the Rays moving wont even be factored into anything.

So 2028 really doesnt mean anything and I'm not really sure where you are even basing that last part on anyway.  

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Well unfortunately for the Marlins they will have to figure out their tv deal while the Rays are still in the Florida area.  The deal will probably be at least 15 years I'd guess.  I imagine any idea of the Rays moving wont even be factored into anything.

So 2028 really doesnt mean anything and I'm not really sure where you are even basing that last part on anyway.  

If I'm the owner of the Rays, I would relocate my team ASAP. 

8 hours ago, Das Texan said:

The Marlins situation is much different from the Rays situation.

The Marlins draw 7,000-9,000 fans for a rebuilding team.

The Rays draw 9,000 fans per night with a team that is LEADING the AL East. The only instances in which the Rays draw 10,000 or more fans is if their facing the Yankees or Red Sox.

I’ve been to Marlins Park this year and it looks AMAZING, the renovations that we’re completed further enchance the profile of the stadium and provide more interactive areas for fans (specifically younger generations).

Tropicana Field is an old concrete dome that has no outdoor view and lacks many modern amenities found in other ballparks (scoreboard, concourses, retractable roof). It looks so bad on TV I’ve never even thought to go to a game there.

When the Rays move out of the Bay Area in the Late 2020’s because they can’t secure funding for a new venue or draw more than 10,000 fans against an average MLB team, the value of the Marlins TV rights skyrocket because we would then be the only MLB team that can be viewed on TV in South, Central and North Florida.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

The Rays draw 9,000 fans per night with a team that is LEADING the AL East. The only instances in which the Rays draw 10,000 or more fans is if their facing the Yankees or Red Sox.

I’ve been to Marlins Park this year and it looks AMAZING, the renovations that we’re completed further enchance the profile of the stadium and provide more interactive areas for fans (specifically younger generations).

Tropicana Field is an old concrete dome that has no outdoor view and lacks many modern amenities found in other ballparks (scoreboard, concourses, retractable roof). It looks so bad on TV I’ve never even thought to go to a game there.

When the Rays move out of the Bay Area in the Late 2020’s because they can’t secure funding for a new venue or draw more than 10,000 fans against an average MLB team, the value of the Marlins TV rights skyrocket because we would then be the only MLB team that can be viewed on TV in South, Central and North Florida.

A few things to bring up here...

Attendance for the Rays may not be the best, but their TV ratings are far better than ours - last year and the year before, they had about 2.5 times our viewership.

The Rays moving I do believe would benefit our TV value.  That said, a move (or announcement of a move) won't happen before it's time to do a new TV deal (which I believe expires after next season?).  Too short a timeframe for such movement/announcement to take place.  That means the new TV deal wouldn't be affected (which would happen before the 2021 season), and also means should a Rays move happen, our TV deal would be undervalued, unless there's a provision to renegotiate should the Rays exit the market?

5 minutes ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

What exactly will that have to do with the negotiations going on NOW though?  

I mean sure for the TV deal in 2030 whatever, but not telling whats even happening then in the world.  

I think you paint a picture based entirely on your own ballpark experience and fail to take into account other things like ratings currently as rmc523 mentioned, as one factor.  

The Rays’ deal, reported by John Ourand and Daniel Kaplan of the Sports Business Journal, will begin next season and pay the Rays an

average of $82 million per season over 15 years, which amounts to $1.23 billion. The Rays are set to receive $35 million in the last year of their current contract, and that will increase to roughly $50 million in 2019. Assuming a steady rise over the life of the deal, rights will increase at 6.7% annually.

We're earning $15-20M a year right now.  The Rays are getting an average of $82M/season, but like I said earlier have far better ratings.  I'm obviously no expert, but I'd think we'd at least be able to get $50M/year.

I don't know if we'll be able to get close to the Rays' $82/season deal, though.

I was looking at teams that are close to us in ratings:

-The White Sox just signed a 5 year deal, but I couldn't find financials (this is also complicated by the fact the deal they signed includes the Blackhawks and Bulls on an RSN).

-The Padres are in the middle of a 20 year deal that expires in 2032-ish.  It paid $1.2B and ~$50M/year

-The Athletics have a similar per year to us - $15-20M - theirs goes through 2035 but has an opt out in 2024, which I'm sure they'll take to increase their yearly payout.

---

Unless we do a short term deal, a Rays move wouldn't affect these TV deal negotiations.

1 hour ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

This is a big problem facing the national conversation about Tropicana Field.  People like yourself go on and on in anonymous platforms about what a terrible place Tropicana Field is to watch a baseball game and many of those people yourself included have never been.  I will also refute your claim that the Dome lacks a scoreboard and concourse.  It has both of those things. 

I don't understand why people act like the Rays owe it to the rest of the country to move or play in a facility that looks a certain way.  That community gambled on baseball by building a facility 35 years ago. They sent City officials around the country looking for a team to move there.  Those same officials were the ones that sought out and assembled the group to buy the Giants (which happened but was nullified by the National League).  That same ownership group (assembled by city leaders) then won expansion.  The history behind the Rays is something that tells a story about a community putting an effort to get baseball.  It isn't about say.....a guy from England who decides he wants his MLS team to operate in South Florida.  It's very much a St Petersburg team.  So for people like us or anyone else to act like our opinions on the subject matters is ridiculous.

If you give careful thought to how deliberate baseball owners are when considering relocation I think you would realize that its very unlikely that the Rays move.  The conversation exists because people write clickbait articles on the subject and the Commissioner makes statements in public to help the owner posture in negotiations and give the appearance that there are other options.  If there were other options that were just so tremendous why did the Athletics extend their lease at the Coliseum twice during their stadium search?  Moving baseball teams is like moving mountains.  The Expos were such an extraordinary case and people seem to have forgotten just how bad that situation was 

7 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

This is a big problem facing the national conversation about Tropicana Field.  People like yourself go on and on in anonymous platforms about what a terrible place Tropicana Field is to watch a baseball game and many of those people yourself included have never been.  I will also refute your claim that the Dome lacks a scoreboard and concourse.  It has both of those things. 

I don't understand why people act like the Rays owe it to the rest of the country to move or play in a facility that looks a certain way.  That community gambled on baseball by building a facility 35 years ago. They sent City officials around the country looking for a team to move there.  Those same officials were the ones that sought out and assembled the group to buy the Giants (which happened but was nullified by the National League).  That same ownership group (assembled by city leaders) then won expansion.  The history behind the Rays is something that tells a story about a community putting an effort to get baseball.  It isn't about say.....a guy from England who decides he wants his MLS team to operate in South Florida.  It's very much a St Petersburg team.  So for people like us or anyone else to act like our opinions on the subject matters is ridiculous.

If you give careful thought to how deliberate baseball owners are when considering relocation I think you would realize that its very unlikely that the Rays move.  The conversation exists because people write clickbait articles on the subject and the Commissioner makes statements in public to help the owner posture in negotiations and give the appearance that there are other options.  If there were other options that were just so tremendous why did the Athletics extend their lease at the Coliseum twice during their stadium search?  Moving baseball teams is like moving mountains.  The Expos were such an extraordinary case and people seem to have forgotten just how bad that situation was 

Uh?  Where else would they play?  These other potential cities don't have facilities built yet either.  They've done short term lease extensions for a reason - so they have options when they do get a park built - whether that be in Oakland or another city.

Baseball's priority is to keep the teams where they are until all options are exhausted there.  Should every option fall through, then they'll look into relocation.

• Like 1