Kim Ng hired as General Manager

11 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Wait, so its just outside the box because she doesnt have a penis between her legs?  

Shows that as much as things change, some things havent.

This is far far from being 'outside' the box in terms of experience and credentials.  

Some things never change tbh.  Pretty fucking sad.

Going to be just as 'outside the box' as when the first female coaches an NBA team.  (Hopefully in 2021-2022)

Great fucking hire btw.  I hope she is getting paid what any other insanely qualified GM gets paid.

You're right on this one. 

She's been a rumored great hire for years now, she's a better hire than many men, if she wasn't a girl this wouldn't be considered outside the box.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Wait, so its just outside the box because she doesnt have a penis between her legs?  

Shows that as much as things change, some things havent.

This is far far from being 'outside' the box in terms of experience and credentials.  

Some things never change tbh.  Pretty fucking sad.

Going to be just as 'outside the box' as when the first female coaches an NBA team.  (Hopefully in 2021-2022)

Great fucking hire btw.  I hope she is getting paid what any other insanely qualified GM gets paid.

I think it’s outside the box because she wasn’t associated with the team and not rumored to be a candidate (though to be fair, I didn’t see but one person - that Raad guy already with the team).

she’s been a GM candidate for a long time now, I always remember reading her name pop up when openings come up.

• Like 1

I know her for long time partially because of her special last name (I always wonder how to pronounce that name "Ng"), it's really surprised she becomes our GM. I also wondering why have no team to hire her as the GM in the past if she's really as good as many baseball people think, maybe that's because of the gender. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I also wondering why have no team to hire her as the GM in the past if she's really as good as many baseball people think, maybe that's because of the gender. 

The gender is a definite possiblity as a reason why but with all the great things I've heard about her over the years it seems like that would be enough to make her gender irrelevant. The common thought was normally that she's so good that it doesn't even matter that she's a woman... and that's the way it should be and why this is a great hire. 

It's upsetting how many groundbreaking moves are done just for the sake of being groundbreaking and now with the right intentions.

• Like 2
Just now, SilverBullet said:

HEY GUYS THE MIAMI MARLINS DID SOMETHING THAT FINALLY NOBODY CAN COMPLAIN ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON HER

Wrong.

The other candidates for the GM job are likely complaining right now.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Wrong.

The other candidates for the GM job are likely complaining right now.

Serious question, were there even any other outside candidates for the job? Feels like Jeter thought either we bring in Ng or just promote from within.

If Jeter  looks past the boundaries of conventionalism, then whatever her salary is, will be just as genuine.   

Don't make this a trap game for Jeter if her pay doesn't equal the highest qualified of GMs.  

Promotion is just as rewarding as salary.

this hiring in conjunction with the Dolphins also having the NFL's only black GM/Coach duo is a nice thing for S. Florida sports - no coincidence that both those teams are trending upward either.  Good for them and awesome for MLB and all sports in general!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Don't make this a trap game for Jeter if her pay doesn't equal the highest qualified of GMs.  

Promotion is just as rewarding as salary.

Didn't mean it that way at all. Mike Hill was "overpriced" because Loria gave him a hefty pay increase before leaving and Jeter felt that price was too high so I'm curious what he decided to offer Ng. Nothing to do with gender, just factual that she takes the place of a guy who was being paid too much.

• Like 2
Just now, SilverBullet said:

Didn't mean it that way at all. Mike Hill was "overpriced" because Loria gave him a hefty pay increase before leaving and Jeter felt that price was too high so I'm curious what he decided to offer Ng. Nothing to do with gender, just factual that she takes the place of a guy who was being paid too much.

I wasn't referring to you at all. 

Its was just a precursor before we know how much she signed for.  

This is exciting. It’ll be nice to be associated with positive news for this.

Maybe “out of the box” isn’t the best wording, but it’s still a big deal when a glass ceiling or other barrier gets pierced. That’s so regardless of how qualified the person is.

I’m sure this means a lot to many women and women of color. And now each future person has to deal with less and less stigma through their journeys.

This would not be a PR move by Jeter, but guys, this is a huge PR move based on the fact that for the past few hours this is all that is being talked about on MLB radio, and I assume on the TV network.  Massive positive everything about the hiring, from the historic aspect, to the pure quality of the hiring and her qualifications to everything about the Marlins organization from top to bottom.  It is all covered and the stain of the Loria years (with Samson) is clearly been removed.  How this affects player desires to consider Miami, we do not know and she is known for being a really good and tough negotiator.  Love the look of the future of this organization.

• Like 4