Jump to content

Kim Ng hired as General Manager


Recommended Posts

The "first female GM stuff " would around the industry for a long time, but Ng have no time to celebrate it and needs to do the work ASAP. It's really a big challenge to lead a organization that people want to see what they're going to do after they snap the 16 years playoffs drought. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

So was Mike Hill technically the GM since he was promoted to President of Baseball Ops after 2013? Is Ng going to be in the same position as Hill was or just a standard GM?

Hill had that title, how much he could preform in it was probably circumstantial depending on the situation, specially with Jeter, who didn't make that hire.

Ng should be respected with more liberties because she was personally hired by Jeter and has a nice track record to back it up.  Hopefully Jeter keeps the gloves off and lets her be accountable to the title of her employment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fish53 said:

This would not be a PR move by Jeter, but guys, this is a huge PR move based on the fact that for the past few hours this is all that is being talked about on MLB radio, and I assume on the TV network.  Massive positive everything about the hiring, from the historic aspect, to the pure quality of the hiring and her qualifications to everything about the Marlins organization from top to bottom.  It is all covered and the stain of the Loria years (with Samson) is clearly been removed.  How this affects player desires to consider Miami, we do not know and she is known for being a really good and tough negotiator.  Love the look of the future of this organization.

Loving the pretty clear consensus that this isn't a token hiring despite it being historic. This is legitimately one of the most positive Marlins stories ever. It's being celebrated everywhere with virtually zero negativity and the usual backhanded Marlins comments. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

So was Mike Hill technically the GM since he was promoted to President of Baseball Ops after 2013? Is Ng going to be in the same position as Hill was or just a standard GM?

 

40 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Hill had that title, how much he could preform in it was probably circumstantial depending on the situation, specially with Jeter, who didn't make that hire.

Ng should be respected with more liberties because she was personally hired by Jeter and has a nice track record to back it up.  Hopefully Jeter keeps the gloves off and lets her be accountable to the title of her employment. 

Actually, when Mike Hill was promoted to President of Baseball Operations, Dan Jennings became the Marlins' official GM as Hill was the GM before him. Though essentially everyone's roles remained the same and titles were changed to seem more like promotions and I'd assume to increase pay.

When Jennings departed here after the 2015 season Hill and the assistant GMs absorbed the GM duties because the structure of the Marlins baseball operations department didn't need one sole person in the GM position so they just carried on without hiring a replacement to be the GM.

So officially the GM position has been vacant for the Marlins for five years. Unofficially Mike Hill was the GM the last 5 years because he was the head of the baseball operations department. 

So Ng now is the head of baseball operations, Mike Hill's position, but with the title of General Manager instead of President of Baseball Operations. 

I guess we can question why Ng wasn't given the higher named title but ultimately it's the same position. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Loving the pretty clear consensus that this isn't a token hiring despite it being historic. This is legitimately one of the most positive Marlins stories ever. It's being celebrated everywhere with virtually zero negativity and the usual backhanded Marlins comments. 

Literally, with her resume, there was zero reason she hadn't been hired yet (outside of the sad, obvious fact).  I like seeing new faces being given a change to do something as opposed to a retread hire (see: LaRussa) for a role.  Pretty stoked considering they have someone with her credentials at the helm. 

 

So, who do ya'll have to be the first person to tweet/say something ignorant and then back pedal and say it was misunderstood, account hacked, etc.?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hovertical said:

So, who do ya'll have to be the first person to tweet/say something ignorant and then back pedal and say it was misunderstood, account hacked, etc.?

Bob Nightengale has already tweeted that she is the "first GM in baseball's history". But I don't expect a mere typo to slow the Nightengale misinformation train, toot-toot!

  • Banana 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pointing out something that annoyed me... When Hill was let go there were several social media posts complaining that a black man was fired yet in the end it led to another minority being hired in his place and a woman at that. 

Some people are pretty quick to point fingers and claim discrimination when completely unwarranted. 

Ultimately neither the firing of the black man nor the hiring of the Asian American woman had anything to do with race or ethnicity. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hovertical said:

So, who do ya'll have to be the first person to tweet/say something ignorant and then back pedal and say it was misunderstood, account hacked, etc.?

I'm already betting it'll be Samson lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Pointing out something that annoyed me... When Hill was let go there were several social media posts complaining that a black man was fired yet in the end it led to another minority being hired in his place and a woman at that. 

Some people are pretty quick to point fingers and claim discrimination when completely unwarranted. 

Ultimately neither the firing of the black man nor the hiring of the Asian American woman had anything to do with race or ethnicity. 

And he wasn't even fired, his contract expired and they didn't reach an agreement to stay.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Considering her ties to the Yankees and to Jeter specifically I wonder if Jeter has been eyeing this hire since he came to Miami. 

Well it helps to the argument that it's not just a PR move. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I guess we can question why Ng wasn't given the higher named title but ultimately it's the same position. 

I speculated a few weeks ago in this post: https://www.marlinsbaseball.com/topic/77649-marlins-hill-parting-ways/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-1747000&ct=1605315211 

that perhaps the next person hired would be titled “GM” as opposed to “POBO” as POBO implies a higher up rung on the corporate ladder than just GM, even if it’s pretty much the same job tasks.

We will probably not know the real reason for some time why they went with the GM title instead of “President of Baseball Operations”.

My own personal opinion is that Jeter is a pretty traditional baseball guy and GM is just a more classic baseball job title, it could end up being that simple.

Another thing to take into consideration, if you recall back in 2007, it was Larry Beinfest who first got the “promotion” to President of Baseball Operations from Loria/Samson while Michael Hill became GM, then after Larry Beinfest was let go in 2013, Michael Hill took that position title.

So the whole “President of Baseball Operations” role/title was a Loria/Samson organization created thing.

It could be that Jeter is looking to continue putting a fresh start on the organization and letting go of stuff put in place by the last owners. But of course it’s all speculation.

For now, I’m sticking with my idea that it’s mainly because “GM” is the more classic, traditional title for the job.

😂

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Michael said:

 

Two women and an ex-shortstop.... It's like a sports version of Three's Company! 😄

 

Side note: two of my friends who are Yankees fans now have the Marlins as their "2nd team" because of hiring Kim

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Side note: two of my friends who are Yankees fans now have the Marlins as their "2nd team" because of hiring Kim

Wow, not even Derek Jeter and Don Mattingly could get the Marlins as their 2nd team..

 

Mrs. Kim must be something special then..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

they didn’t give her the President of Baseball Operations title so maybe another hire is coming. 

Don't think so. When they spoke of replacing Hill Jeter said the replacement would be the head of baseball ops even if the title was changed back to GM. So this is one hire for one role, there won't be a separate hire for president of baseball operations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Don't think so. When they spoke of replacing Hill Jeter said the replacement would be the head of baseball ops even if the title was changed back to GM. So this is one hire for one role, there won't be a separate hire for president of baseball operations. 

Hire one is enough, save the money to the players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...