Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Greg Cote: True Marlins fans showing optimism

The Marlins, when you take stock of their lineup, are exactly what their record says they are. No surprise at all.

One positive thing I think we can point to at this juncture is the state of pitching organizational wide.  It was not good at all in 2017. No reliable quality anywhere near the major league level.  Lots of bad contracts at the major league level and some serviceable players on the decline.  While we are still clearly not a good MLB club there is a lot of exciting quality pitching prospects that look to have Major League Baseball in them.  It’s not just acquiring these arms.  It’s development too.  

47 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

One positive thing I think we can point to at this juncture is the state of pitching organizational wide.  It was not good at all in 2017. No reliable quality anywhere near the major league level.  Lots of bad contracts at the major league level and some serviceable players on the decline.  While we are still clearly not a good MLB club there is a lot of exciting quality pitching prospects that look to have Major League Baseball in them.  It’s not just acquiring these arms.  It’s development too.  

Well said.

Missed the game thread since I was traveling last night, but when I saw the attempted HBP on Urena, they played the braves broadcast and they were upset that there was no warning put out. Then I checked out the braves broadcast of that game last August and they did not seem upset that Urena got no warnings. They even said about a minute prior that Urena tends to hit a lot of batters by trowing inside establishing that it may have not been intentional.

On the other hand does anyone find it suspicious that the braves called up a 6th starter Toussaint before the game and he happens to come in to replace Gausman? Sounds intentional to me. Snitker should have gotten canned too.

I do like some of the young arms they have up and in their farm for sure.  I'm just annoyed to no end that outside of Alfaro, nobody really makes me want to watch them when they're up to bat and they don't really have any truly promising batters in the minors either.  But yeah, pitching is getting there and if Sixto manages to reach his lofty ceiling it'll really help accelerate the overall pitching.

I’ve been a diehard Marlins fan for over 20 years. I’m going to my 4th game of the year tomorrow and I live 200 feet from the Palm Beach County line.  

I watch every game I can on TV even after everything has happened (including trading Yelich and his extremely club friendly contract.  

I can’t wait to watch Sixto pitch in person.

But if in 3 or 4 years I see Derek Jeter having a press conference saying “baseball just isn’t viable in South Florida and that’s why we are seeking to relocate the franchise”, I won’t be shocked at all. 

In fact,  PURE SPECULATION, that is possibly the current Plan B.   

i'm optimistic about the pitching coming thru the system, the offense is another story; concerned about a major lack of hitting prospects coming; one or two worth watching but not much right now

8 hours ago, DTrain said:

But if in 3 or 4 years I see Derek Jeter having a press conference saying “baseball just isn’t viable in South Florida and that’s why we are seeking to relocate the franchise”, I won’t be shocked at all. 

What is the lease situation.  I honestly am not tuned into the finer points because when the deal was done I just assumed it would be really long and strong enough to prevent shenanigans 

12 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

What is the lease situation.  I honestly am not tuned into the finer points because when the deal was done I just assumed it would be really long and strong enough to prevent shenanigans 

It’s a very long lease.