Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Why the Marlins will NEVER be good again

For the record no matter what the Marlins got back for Stanton, ridding themselves of that idiotic contract was a coup, so Denbo and the Marlins are 100% right.  Even if they never trade Castro and he plays out his entire contract, it was still a fucking coup and saves them what?  220 million if you factor in whatever Castro's money is.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Das Texan said:
5 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Exactly. Jeter told Manfred and all 29 other teams the plan, that's the thing. Ignorant people act like Jeter surprised everyone with this. He told them all he was going to tear the payroll down prior to them approving the new ownership group.

And Atl, Phil, NY and Wash said, "great, we play them 19 times a year, WE APPROVE".  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

For the record no matter what the Marlins got back for Stanton, ridding themselves of that idiotic contract was a coup, so Denbo and the Marlins are 100% right.  Even if they never trade Castro and he plays out his entire contract, it was still a fucking coup and saves them what?  220 million if you factor in whatever Castro's money is.

Yep it amazes me how many people including marlins fans say they got a shit return for Stanton. That deal was ALL about dumping the money and it was a success. If the prospects they got back turn into anything, even better.

46 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yep it amazes me how many people including marlins fans say they got a shit return for Stanton. That deal was ALL about dumping the money and it was a success. If the prospects they got back turn into anything, even better.

I'm on board with that trade as well.  As much fun as it was to watch Stanton at times - that contract would have forced the trades of other young guys like Yelich, etc. 

I kid. Even I was on board with the Stanton trade - I think most of us just didn't like a lot of the other trades that were immediately made that felt forced and/or rushed.

• Like 3

Just now, pollythewog said:

good article agree

I'll think of agreeing.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I'm not as upset about the shit return, but more upset about what trading him meant.

Stanton gone, made Yelich and Realmuto want out too. Yelich and Realmutos contracts could have offset Giancarlos.

For what its worth, Samson said Jose would have been traded to AZ (AZ owner backed off) or had his arm fall off as a Marlin. Boras refused to sign and the Marlins viewd their window as until 2020. Ozuna would have been traded too, or just been allowed to walk.

3 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

Yelich and Realmutos contracts could have offset Giancarlos.

Are you saying if we had signed them to extensions? [Yelich already had that, I might add.] If not, then uh ... no?

Stanton's one of those contracts that was going to tie their hands for many years. It was dumb for a team in Miami's financial position to give that to a player. They were lucky to escape it.

• Like 1