Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Why the Marlins will NEVER be good again

2 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

the Marlins viewd their window as until 2020.

So if true, then in theory, whether Loria sold the team or not, whether Jeter "tried" a few more seasons or not, whether we tried to get "those two more pitchers" or not... this team was destined to be dismantled by 2020 anyways?

Considering the way the team was performing with all those great stars 2018 and 2019 were gonna ultimately be losing seasons anyways and at least now we have "a chance" that we're starting to be more competitive within the next couple seasons so ultimately Jeter probably did us all a favor by ripping off the band aids and duct tape sooner.

11 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

In some ways, but they are also better in other areas. They spent in the international market and brought in the top guy available. Something Loria's crew should have done.

Yes, but Jeter has zero clue when talking about attendance. Zero. I believe he was quoted before the 2018 season saying attendance would increase 😂

16 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Better hope one of the group of players received back for Yelich pans out OR that deal will be worse than both of those two!

there's no diff between regimes when the same idiot did all those trades

16 hours ago, hovertical said:

I'm on board with that trade as well.  As much fun as it was to watch Stanton at times - that contract would have forced the trades of other young guys like Yelich, etc. 

I kid. Even I was on board with the Stanton trade - I think most of us just didn't like a lot of the other trades that were immediately made that felt forced and/or rushed.

I had no problem with the Dee, Stanton, and Ozuna deals.

It's the Yelich one that stung (the subsequent Realmuto one was inevitable once Yelich was gone).

16 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

For what its worth, Samson said Jose would have been traded to AZ (AZ owner backed off) or had his arm fall off as a Marlin. Boras refused to sign and the Marlins viewd their window as until 2020. Ozuna would have been traded too, or just been allowed to walk.

16 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Stanton's one of those contracts that was going to tie their hands for many years. It was dumb for a team in Miami's financial position to give that to a player. They were lucky to escape it.

Samson reiterated the Fernández point last week on LeBetards local hour.  Point blank said there was no intention of extending Fernández and the window was 2020. He still defends the Stanton contract.  It’s a good deal for a richer club but not the Marlins. 

We were lucky to have Dombrowski in charge when Wayne pulled the plug on the 97 team.  He really set the table nicely over the enduring few years to make 03 possible. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, THRILLHO said:

We were lucky to have Dombrowski in charge when Wayne pulled the plug on the 97 team.  He really set the table nicely over the enduring few years to make 03 possible. 

SB Nation keeps telling everyone that the '03 team was an accident. Pay no attention to Dombrowski building a great core between '98-02 from the ashes of 1997 and give no credit to Loria and Beinfest adding in the final missing pieces in 2003... The 2003 Marlins were a piece of trash team that just won because the other 29 teams didn't really feel like winning the World Series that year.

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

SB Nation keeps telling everyone that the '03 team was an accident. Pay no attention to Dombrowski building a great core between '98-02 from the ashes of 1997 and give no credit to Loria and Beinfest adding in the final missing pieces in 2003... The 2003 Marlins were a piece of trash team that just won because the other 29 teams didn't really feel like winning the World Series that year.

Damn, my mistake.  Thanks for helping me out.

I know the doom and gloom is great when the MLB team is 10-24 but 2 things, didn't everyone already know this team was gonna suck tremendously for a few years? Why are we upset about this on a grand scale? Be frustrated when you watch a close game and they blow it with silliness but don't act like you didn't see this coming.

Secondly, it sounds like people think THIS Marlins team is supposed to be the team that contends down the line. Look at the roster and think about that... More than half the starting lineup won't be here next season... they might not even be here halfway through the summer. Our playoff hopes are not riding on the backs of Walker Castro Granderson Prado and Rojas. These guys are placeholders for the guys who are developing to be injected into the roster when the time is right.

I get it, things look and feel bleak now but sometimes I really think people miss the forest because they're looking at the trees.

Feel free to complain about wider range problems with the rebuild at this point... but don't tell me the Marlins will never be good again just because a weak hitting Starlin Castro is batting cleanup in May of 2019.

Look at the whole donut, not just the hole in the donut.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I know the doom and gloom is great when the MLB team is 10-24 but 2 things, didn't everyone already know this team was gonna suck tremendously for a few years? Why are we upset about this on a grand scale? Be frustrated when you watch a close game and they blow it with silliness but don't act like you didn't see this coming.

Secondly, it sounds like people think THIS Marlins team is supposed to be the team that contends down the line. Look at the roster and think about that... More than half the starting lineup won't be here next season... they might not even be here halfway through the summer. Our playoff hopes are not riding on the backs of Walker Castro Granderson Prado and Rojas. These guys are placeholders for the guys who are developing to be injected into the roster when the time is right.

I get it, things look and feel bleak now but sometimes I really think people miss the forest because they're looking at the trees.

Feel free to complain about wider range problems with the rebuild at this point... but don't tell me the Marlins will never be good again just because a weak hitting Starlin Castro is batting cleanup in May of 2019.

But that's what the article title was!  It said so.  It must be true.