Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Call em up or leave em down?

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I thought Das doesn't watch the Marlins... now he knows when and how Donnie uses all the players?

Using Grandy virtually everyday is beyond moronic.

He should be DFA'd.  He does nothing to this team and is blocking someone younger who could be playing.  He has no value.  He wont have any value.  Cut bait and move on with life.  

I will say, I find it weird how whenever other teams sign a veteran guy, they're always able to flip them at the deadline for a good haul.  When we sign them, they crash and burn and we wind up with peanuts.

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I will say, I find it weird how whenever other teams sign a veteran guy, they're always able to flip them at the deadline for a good haul.  When we sign them, they crash and burn and we wind up with peanuts.

I mean Grandy had been crashing and burning.  They had to have been hoping for lightning in a bottle...

Look at Walker.  Smart signing.  Should be able to flip for a prospect at the deadline.  

9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Would it really matter if you have a corner outfielder playing center if the alternative is an infielder playing center?

Good point but going by what Donnie says apparently it means something, I mean they made it clear that the only reason Herrera is here is because he's the backup CF. If anyone could do it then he wouldn't be here.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Didn't we like the Grandy signing when it happened?

I was ok with it.  I was just saying that it seems like our veteran signings crash and burn more often than others.

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

He’s there as more of a veteran leader than for production though I think many including me expected a little more production. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Frisaro does have a point with "is Brinson any worse than Berti/Herrera in the outfield?"

Brinson is a good defender and I'd take him over Herrera. I've liked Berti so far. My issue is that Berti and Herrera fill the same need - position player who can play almost anywhere on the field. Herrera's been a nightmare at times with his baserunning (the Cubs game that Bryant walked off for example ...) and Berti, I think, is just a better hitter. Faster, too!

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Why is Dean seemingly blacklisted?

He's torching AAA all year long, an OPS of 1.127

Yet, when the Marlins called him up they gave him only six games. He went 4-4 on one of those days even!

Why isn't he being given a chance to play every day at the MLB level right now? What did he do to end up on the shitlist?

4-4 with 6 RBI if I remember right, yeah. He was crushing it that day. I think he didn't do much else after that is the main issue when he was playing.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

My guess for the immediate future is that it's because he doesn't play CF. There are enough people filling the corner positions right now. It's CF where there's a black hole being filled by infielders. If he's still in AAA a few months from now then I have no answer for you.

This is likely but even so, if as it was said the idea is to show a winning mentality, bring up the guy who is producing.

56 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Because Mattingly is a fucking god awful manager?  

And is absolutely the worst/wrong guy you can have for a fucking rebuild, but the Marlins in their cheapness (its true), decided hey what the fuck does it matter, it doesnt matter at all.  

Mattingly ain't the one making the moves, he did give Dean a decent amount of chances when he was up and then the FO said "alright back down ya go."

25 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yes, and still do, but he shouldn't be starting.

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

Brinson is a good defender and I'd take him over Herrera. I've liked Berti so far. My issue is that Berti and Herrera fill the same need - position player who can play almost anywhere on the field. Herrera's been a nightmare at times with his baserunning (the Cubs game that Bryant walked off for example ...) and Berti, I think, is just a better hitter. Faster, too!

4-4 with 6 RBI if I remember right, yeah. He was crushing it that day. I think he didn't do much else after that is the main issue when he was playing.

This is likely but even so, if as it was said the idea is to show a winning mentality, bring up the guy who is producing.

Mattingly ain't the one making the moves, he did give Dean a decent amount of chances when he was up and then the FO said "alright back down ya go."

Yes, and still do, but he shouldn't be starting.

6 games isn't much of a chance, though.  Like you expect him to go 4-4 every night?  Especially with the state of the rest of the offense?  Seemed like unrealistic expectations from the get go if that's the case.

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

6 games isn't much of a chance, though.  Like you expect him to go 4-4 every night?  Especially with the state of the rest of the offense?  Seemed like unrealistic expectations from the get go if that's the case.

He had one hit outside of that game. I'm all for calling him back up and seeing what happens this time around.