2020 Non-Tender Deadline

Tomorrow is the deadline to determine who will be tendered a contract for the 2021 season.

With the financial impact of the pandemic there is expected to be more non-tenders than normal throughout MLB.

Will the Marlins make any surprising non-tender moves?

Players who need to be tendered a contract are Brian Anderson, Jesus Aguilar, Garrett Cooper, Jorge Alfaro, Ryne Stanek, Richard Bleier, and Yimi Garcia.

Idc what the finances are, Aguilar needs to stick around. He’s a big reason the team played with balls last season. That early season dynamic of guys like him and Cervelli and to a lesser degree Villar brought that hustle dynamic to the team that was lacking before (though Ultimately Villar had a little too much hustle lol). Keep both he and Coop and figure it out at the deadline. If they let him walk then they NEED to go after a big bat for the middle of the lineup to help carry the load. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Idc what the finances are, Aguilar needs to stick around. He’s a big reason the team played with balls last season. That early season dynamic of guys like him and Cervelli and to a lesser degree Villar brought that hustle dynamic to the team that was lacking before (though Ultimately Villar had a little too much hustle lol). Keep both he and Coop and figure it out at the deadline. If they let him walk then they NEED to go after a big bat for the middle of the lineup to help carry the load. 

My thought here has been, tender him a contract anyways, and if the DH doesn't become universal, trade him. At least get SOMETHING for him rather than letting him go.

• Like 2

Yeah I can't believe they'd cut Aguilar just because they have a surplus at first base. A surplus is a good thing to have, there's no need to run away from it. Make it work for now and figure out how it can benefit you later either by trade or you never know when one goes down with injury and so the other is needed. Also, Lewin Diaz didn't prove he was ready to take over there yet so that doesn't help matters either.

With that said, it's absolutely ridiculous that a decision hasn't been made on the DH in the NL in 2021 as I'm sure a significant portion of non-tender decisions will need to be made based on that decision. Awful.

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Huh? i've never had this or even seen it. What are you talking about? Who's putting white sauce on your Chinese food?

Maybe it is more like a “light” sauce in some places. chicken with broccoli is one dish that comes to mind where I have to specifically say “with brown sauce” or I get the other one.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Actually now that you mention it, no. I dislike Alfredo sauce, Ranch dressing, the white sauce some Chinese dishes have and I am sure there are more.

Jorge Alfredo

Trevor Ranch

James Hoysin

Jon Béarnase

Miguel Ragu

Brine Stanek

Jazz Chimichurri

Jordan Hollandaise

Pesto López

Sriracha Sanchez

Marinara Sierra

"But Billy, why did you make this list?"

Camera cuts to Billy, eyes bulging, hoarsely laughing and spraying a mouthful of Cheese-Its to the linoleum.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Maybe it is more like a “light” sauce in some places. chicken with broccoli is one dish that comes to mind where I have to specifically say “with brown sauce” or I get the other one.

In my experience it's never a good idea to ask someone to give you the brown sauce.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Jorge Alfredo

Trevor Ranch

James Hoysin

Jon Béarnase

Miguel Ragu

Brine Stanek

Jazz Chimichurri

Jordan Hollandaise

Pesto López

Sriracha Sanchez

Marinara Sierra

"But Billy, why did you make this list?"

Camera cuts to Billy, eyes bulging, hoarsely laughing and spraying a mouthful of Cheese-Its to the linoleum.

Love everything about this post, Billy! 👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

Mish reporting this via MLBTR:

“There have been many clubs with interest” in trading for Marlins first baseman Jesus Aguilar, SportsGrid’s Craig Mish writes.  It isn’t known whether any of those teams might make the Fish a big offer prior to today’s non-tender deadline, though Mish feels the Marlins will indeed tender Aguilar a contract despite the uncertainty about whether or not the DH will be part of National League baseball next season.  Aguilar started 19 games as a designated hitter in 2020, and was a first baseman in his 31 other starts.  “Jesus returning without the DH is not optimal, but possible” for Miami, Mish writes, and of course trades could still be explored throughout the offseason.

I say absolutely tender Aguilar (not sure why it's a discussion TBH), and as someone else mentioned, there's definitely trade interest if we decide he's not ultimately in our plans.

• Like 4