Jump to content

DH Will Not Be Universal


Recommended Posts


On 12/19/2020 at 7:37 AM, Edwin Velez said:

I however  am a proponent of reducing inter-league play.  It has watered down the All-Star game and the World Series 

This is an interesting discussion. 

I myself don't think the World Series is as "watered down" because the stakes are still high and the teams didn't always play each other the previous season and it's usually still the two best teams so it's usually still awesome and the story lines are usually strong. But the ASG for sure is watered down. Since it's just an exhibition the attraction is seeing the rare player matchups but those are by far watered down by interleague play which means the ASG doesn't have much else going for it.

As a fan I do like the old concept of interleague bringing teams and players that we wouldn't usually see to our town. I would never get to see Mike Trout play in person without it. For that aspect I don't think interleague ever goes away but I would definitely be ok with scaling it back though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

This is an interesting discussion. 

I myself don't think the World Series is as "watered down" because the stakes are still high and the teams didn't always play each other the previous season and it's usually still the two best teams so it's usually still awesome and the story lines are usually strong. But the ASG for sure is watered down. Since it's just an exhibition the attraction is seeing the rare player matchups but those are by far watered down by interleague play which means the ASG doesn't have much else going for it.

As a fan I do like the old concept of interleague bringing teams and players that we wouldn't usually see to our town. I would never get to see Mike Trout play in person without it. For that aspect I don't think interleague ever goes away but I would definitely be ok with scaling it back though. 

Yeah, I like interleague play.  Like you said, I like seeing "different" teams come in to town.  Is interleague currently a home/away of each division every year?  Or is it just a home or away aside from a team's "rival"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

The discussion is moot, though, until the league adds two more teams. Until then, the leagues are uneven and interleague play is a necessity.

Yep. Hopefully this decade we see two more teams and some realignment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I most certainly believe if it were not for this pandemic instead of talking about the DH there would be conversation going on reference the 2 new expansion franchises and an  expansion draft

I would love MLB teams in New Orleans and Las Vegas

Edited by Edwin Velez
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edwin Velez said:

I most certainly believe if it were not for this pandemic instead of talking about the DH there would be conversation going on reference the 2 new expansion franchises and an  expansion draft

I would love MLB teams in New Orleans and Las Vegas

Yeah, I really am surprised Vegas hasn’t gotten a team yet.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 12:39 PM, Edwin Velez said:

I most certainly believe if it were not for this pandemic instead of talking about the DH there would be conversation going on reference the 2 new expansion franchises and an  expansion draft

I would love MLB teams in New Orleans and Las Vegas

Id love to see a team in Puerto Rico. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I know something related to the pandemic like the start time of ST and the length of the regular season got the uncertainty, but what's the reason to drag on the decision to the universal DH !?

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) is expiring at the end of 2021, so MLB most likely wants to keep it as something they can use for leverage in those negotiations.

Basically, "we'll give you the universal DH, but in return, we want ..."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 11:39 AM, Edwin Velez said:

I most certainly believe if it were not for this pandemic instead of talking about the DH there would be conversation going on reference the 2 new expansion franchises and an  expansion draft

I would love MLB teams in New Orleans and Las Vegas

Because of the pandemic there is real conversation about expansion.  Its going to happen a lot sooner now as a result.  Same thing with NBA expansion.  

Owners want that cash money that they can only get with expansion fees.  

New Orleans isnt getting a MLB team.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael said:

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) is expiring at the end of 2021, so MLB most likely wants to keep it as something they can use for leverage in those negotiations.

Basically, "we'll give you the universal DH, but in return, we want ..."

Well I mean considering the owners already sold the tv rights to the expanded first round of the playoffs.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I know something related to the pandemic like the start time of ST and the length of the regular season got the uncertainty, but what's the reason to drag on the decision to the universal DH !?

Owners are also fucking assholes and the players are justifiably striking.

Enjoy baseball this year boys and girls!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...