Red Sox fan doesn't recognize Manny Ramirez

😂😂😂😂😂

I feel bad for Manny, he looks pretty disappointed that a Red Sox fan didn’t recognize him; that guy probably was like 5 years old during Manny’s big years on the Red Sox.

Or, he just wears a Red Sox hat because everyone else in Boston does. 😂

Or he is just so self absorbed, that he didn’t even spend 2 seconds to see who he was talking to.

And I guess Manny looks different without a hat.

I would say that any relatively big fan of baseball (someone who has been an active fan for at least 10 years), from any city, who is over the age of 30, should be able to recognize Manny pretty quickly. I would, or at the very least I would spend a few seconds looking to see if it was really him.

• Like 1

The general consensus is that the guy is some loser who wears the hat just to look cool but is worse than a casual fan because he can't recognize one of probably the two most recognizable Red Sox players of the last 20 years. And tbh Manny doesn't look like a regular guy, he's got a pretty specific look. 

When I still lived in Tampa many moons ago, I was friends with this chick who had a sister that proclaimed to be a Yankees fan (this was either '98 or '99). Sensing bullshit, I decided to  be bold and ask which position Jeter played and she had no clue.  She eventually guessed "outfield".

Casual fan might even be too strong of a compliment

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

When I still lived in Tampa many moons ago, I was friends with this chick who had a sister that proclaimed to be a Yankees fan (this was either '98 or '99). Sensing bullshit, I decided to  be bold and ask which position Jeter played and she had no clue.  She eventually guessed "outfield".

Casual fan might even be too strong of a compliment

Yea it can be really bad. Probably even worse with the Yankees. 

Oh I just remembered this one now, and its bad...

I have a close friend who was born in LA and as a kid he watched that 88 World Series and so he has always proclaimed himself a Dodgers fan but I know he never actually watches any baseball except when he's at my house or when he comes with me to a game.

Every year when the playoffs come he whips out his Dodgers cap and tells everyone this is finally the year that his Dodgers win it all again. For Game 4 of this year's WS it was a Saturday and he was over at my house that day so that evening we put the game on and at some point he goes "Hey is Kershaw still in baseball at all or is he completely out of the game?"

I answered him: "He's starting tomorrow."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Oh I just remembered this one now, and its bad...

I have a close friend who was born in LA and as a kid he watched that 88 World Series and so he has always proclaimed himself a Dodgers fan but I know he never actually watches any baseball except when he's at my house or when he comes with me to a game.

Every year when the playoffs come he whips out his Dodgers cap and tells everyone this is finally the year that his Dodgers win it all again. For Game 4 of this year's WS it was a Saturday and he was over at my house that day so that evening we put the game on and at some point he goes "Hey is Kershaw still in baseball at all or is he completely out of the game?"

I answered him: "He's starting tomorrow."

yeah, i feel your pain. for anyone who's a real fan of a team, those types of people make your skin absolutely crawl when they start acting like superfan #1.  I don't know if you or anyone else reading this also comes across this but man, I probably run into this fake fandom at work the most during that idle time before a meeting when people start rambling about shit.  It's even worse if you're a transplant in an area where there's another local team and let's say the Marlins just got blasted by the Dbacks the night before and Sally Hoo talks shit and you sit there and take it because you don't want to look shitty by asking her to name any other pitcher on the team outside of Cy Young winner Gallen. 

Ya'll feel me?

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

yeah, i feel your pain. for anyone who's a real fan of a team, those types of people make your skin absolutely crawl when they start acting like superfan #1.  I don't know if you or anyone else reading this also comes across this but man, I probably run into this fake fandom at work the most during that idle time before a meeting when people start rambling about shit.  It's even worse if you're a transplant in an area where there's another local team and let's say the Marlins just got blasted by the Dbacks the night before and Sally Hoo talks shit and you sit there and take it because you don't want to look shitty by asking her to name any other pitcher on the team outside of Cy Young winner Gallen. 

Ya'll feel me?

I remember during the Marlins '03 World Series run. The entire playoffs, there was this one guy in my class (I was in 7th grade at this point) who kept saying, "man, the Marlins suck, they're not going to get far."

NLDS: "The Giants are gonna WHOOP the Marlins!"

Giants take game 1 - "Giants beat their ass!"

Marlins take games 2-4 ...

(silence)

NLCS: "The Cubs are gonna WHOOP the Marlins!"

Marlins take game 1. Silence.

Cubs take games 2-4. Obviously talking whole bunch of shits.

Marlins take games 5-7 in amazing fashion. Silence.

Yankees win ALCS. "Yankees are gonna WHOOP the Marlins!"

Marlins take game 1. Yanks take game 2. "Yankees whooped their ass!" Yanks take game 3. "Yankees are gonna win it all."

Marlins take games 4-6 and the championship.

I get into class the next day, really happy. THIS WHOLE TIME, I might add ... I haven't said a word in retaliation. I still haven't said a word. I never do say a word. I won with grace.

He's sitting there, head propped and resting on his hand, looking angry, looks at me, doesn't say a word.

A minute later, not looking at me, he just goes, "fucking "George" Posada ..."

I allowed myself a small laugh at this point. As if Posada was the reason they lost.

Come Opening Day 2004, GUESS WHO'S A MARLINS FAN?!

Funny thing is I can totally relate to being a casual fan in every sport besides baseball. I consider myself a casual Heat fan and I can sit and watch a Dolphins game with my brother in law who is a die hard Dolphins fan but I will never pretend to know what I'm talking about with those 2 teams, especially the Dolphins. So it's not to say that you can't be a casual fan of a team but it's just don't act like you're a bigger fan than you really are, it's just so obnoxious. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Funny thing is I can totally relate to being a casual fan in every sport besides baseball. I consider myself a casual Heat fan and I can sit and watch a Dolphins game with my brother in law who is a die hard Dolphins fan but I will never pretend to know what I'm talking about with those 2 teams, especially the Dolphins. So it's not to say that you can't be a casual fan of a team but it's just don't act like you're a bigger fan than you really are, it's just so obnoxious. 

Amen.  I'm a pretty die hard fan of my chosen NHL and NFL teams as well but I'll gladly admit I'm a casual NBA fan when it comes to the Pelicans.

19 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Funny thing is I can totally relate to being a casual fan in every sport besides baseball. I consider myself a casual Heat fan and I can sit and watch a Dolphins game with my brother in law who is a die hard Dolphins fan but I will never pretend to know what I'm talking about with those 2 teams, especially the Dolphins. 

Side note, the Dolphins, barring some awful injuries next season, are going to be uber scary if they use most of their draft assets on the offensive side of the ball to get some actual weapons Tua can throw to.  Flores, so far, has proven to be one of those rare coaches who can actually take a guy and coach him up to not just be a starter, but a good one. They'd have 10 wins probably if not for having almost nobody to throw to and having nobody who's even average at running the ball.  You gotta figure they're going to take one of the premium WRs with the Texan's first round pick and maybe a dude like Etienne at either the end of the first or start of the 2nd. 

Flores has proven to be one of those rare guys that comes over as a "guru" on a specific side of the ball and actually lived up to the hype.  That defense he is building is legit and can win games for them. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, hovertical said:

Side note, the Dolphins, barring some awful injuries next season, are going to be uber scary if they use most of their draft assets on the offensive side of the ball to get some actual weapons Tua can throw to.  Flores, so far, has proven to be one of those rare coaches who can actually take a guy and coach him up to not just be a starter, but a good one. They'd have 10 wins probably if not for having almost nobody to throw to and having nobody who's even average at running the ball.  You gotta figure they're going to take one of the premium WRs with the Texan's first round pick and maybe a dude like Etienne at either the end of the first or start of the 2nd. 

Flores has proven to be one of those rare guys that comes over as a "guru" on a specific side of the ball and actually lived up to the hype.  That defense he is building is legit and can win games for them. 

Absolutely. Tua nearly lead a massive comeback today without ...

WR 1, WR 2, WR 3, WR 5

TE 1

RB 1, RB 2, RB 3

LT 1, LG 1

So so so many pieces were missing on offense and he still made the offense look competent, in the end.

This team's going to be so scary next year after they address the offense.

• Like 1