TV Deal: The Stalemate Continues (Journalists Have No Timetable on Signing)

14 hours ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

The Marlins should start their own TV network.

There are ~8.5 Million TV Households in Marlins Territory

8.5 Million x $1.70 per household (could charge up to $2.35) = $173.4 Million per year

$16.2 Million to produce each game. ($100,000 per game)

$30 Million for purchasing other programming (INTER MIAMI), and hiring on and off air talent.

After expenses the Marlins would walk out with ~$100-120 Million in profit per year.

Plus the Marlins would have a 100% equity stake in the network which is worth at least $300 Million

This is getting to be a no-brainer.

Bye Sinclair.

Kinda late in the game for that though.

38 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That's what I was thinking - I'm surprised they've waited so long to even look into other options.

A 1-year extension would provide enough time to get those wheels turning though. I could see that happening. But I still suspect the most likely result is a decently-size, multi-year extension signed in the next 4 weeks.

4 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

A 1-year extension would provide enough time to get those wheels turning though. I could see that happening. But I still suspect the most likely result is a decently-size, multi-year extension signed in the next 4 weeks.

why would Sinclair do that though?

is there value to them for that when they are by all intents and purposes hemmoraging money?

2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

why would Sinclair do that though?

is there value to them for that when they are by all intents and purposes hemmoraging money?

Why would Sinclair sign a 1-year extension? Well, it would be because they gotta sign something, and kick the can down the road to keep negotiations alive. Presumably a 1-year extension would be at a price similar to the Sinclair-friendly previous deal.

Why would Sinclair sign a modest multi-year extension? Well, baseball is good money for sports networks. Poker re-runs, bless their hearts, don't pay the bills. Sinclair needs something to fill the air, and while it may not be the gangbusters deal the Marlins deserve, I think Sinclair will ultimately poney up at least a little more cash and get something done.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Why would Sinclair sign a 1-year extension? Well, it would be because they gotta sign something, and kick the can down the road to keep negotiations alive. Presumably a 1-year extension would be at a price similar to the Sinclair-friendly previous deal.

Why would Sinclair sign a modest multi-year extension? Well, baseball is good money for sports networks. Poker re-runs, bless their hearts, don't pay the bills. Sinclair needs something to fill the air, and while it may not be the gangbusters deal the Marlins deserve, I think Sinclair will ultimately poney up at least a little more cash and get something done.

It's just surprising to me that they hadn't explored other options sooner, which would give the team more leverage.

Perhaps that means they were closer to a deal than thought?  But neither side has budged, resulting in them now looking at other options?

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

That's good to hear, and hopefully not just public posturing......with the lack of news, I know it's had us concerned of a disappointingly low per year figure.

14 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Works with Mish and also was recently hired by Fox Sports Florida.

And is a fellow UCF alum. 😁

Everything he said could have also been watched or listened to, I think. Jeter & Sherman were holding a press conference.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Um, someone tell this fella what happened to the Yankees after they founded YES in the 1990s. Who is this amateur?!

He's not a bad guy but he does certainly have some takes that can be a little inflammatory, such as "Bleday will be as good as Nick Markakis in his prime," which I'd be a little upset if that happened considering where we drafted Bleday but it wouldn't be bad overall.

Let me make this abundantly clear. I love the Marlins, but during these three years, there have been some big misses on the business side. The Chip Bowers hiring was one. Small, but still bad look. The lack of a naming rights deal is another lack of progression on the business side, in addition to the TV Deal. Now, I do believe the Marlins on the Baseball side are improving with the much stronger farm system and should be good enough this season to at least compete for a playoff spot (in my eyes). Now, I know Covid has hurt the Marlins somewhat, but if the reports of $52-65 million are true, that seems like it would be a decrease on what the Marlins have previously been offered. It’s bad business, but I would really like the Marlins to get $60 million minimum. I was saying $100 million per season last year, which now I realize was not realistic, even though Dodgers get like twice that, and during Pandemic, I was hoping for $70 ish. But $60 million a season just in tv rights I believe is enough. Marlins still need more sources of revenue though. I wish they could expand their International/Domestic Streaming Rights and like package them with the other Miami teams. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, MarlinsFan19 said:

The Marlins should start their own TV network.

There are ~8.5 Million TV Households in Marlins Territory

8.5 Million x $1.70 per household (could charge up to $2.35) = $173.4 Million per year

$16.2 Million to produce each game. ($100,000 per game)

$30 Million for purchasing other programming (INTER MIAMI), and hiring on and off air talent.

After expenses the Marlins would walk out with ~$100-120 Million in profit per year.

Plus the Marlins would have a 100% equity stake in the network which is worth at least $300 Million

This is getting to be a no-brainer.

Bye Sinclair.

I would be 100% on board with this if it meant the Marlins, Inter Miami, Heat, Panther, and/or Dolphins (possibly college fb teams) would be part of a “package”. Essentially, they could start their own sports tv network and profit off that as well as other teams in the area benefiting as well 🔥  

57 minutes ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

Let me make this abundantly clear. I love the Marlins, but during these three years, there have been some big misses on the business side. The Chip Bowers hiring was one. Small, but still bad look. The lack of a naming rights deal is another lack of progression on the business side, in addition to the TV Deal. Now, I do believe the Marlins on the Baseball side are improving with the much stronger farm system and should be good enough this season to at least compete for a playoff spot (in my eyes). Now, I know Covid has hurt the Marlins somewhat, but if the reports of $52-65 million are true, that seems like it would be a decrease on what the Marlins have previously been offered. It’s bad business, but I would really like the Marlins to get $60 million minimum. I was saying $100 million per season last year, which now I realize was not realistic, even though Dodgers get like twice that, and during Pandemic, I was hoping for $70 ish. But $60 million a season just in tv rights I believe is enough. Marlins still need more sources of revenue though. I wish they could expand their International/Domestic Streaming Rights and like package them with the other Miami teams. 

What was wrong with the Chip Bowers signing at the time?

Or you mean just since he was let go since then?

37 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

What was wrong with the Chip Bowers signing at the time?

Or you mean just since he was let go since then?

My bad just that he was let go shortly after being hired. I actually really liked the hire at the time and didn’t understand why he was fired. 

2 hours ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

My bad just that he was let go shortly after being hired. I actually really liked the hire at the time and didn’t understand why he was fired. 

We don't know the reason but if he was let go so soon then there had to have been a clear reason why they felt they had to cut ties with him. I appreciate that they didn't stick with him out of stubbornness. So I'm not sure why his firing bothers you... was he doing something amazing that you think they lost out on? 

• Like 1