Jump to content

TV Deal: The Stalemate Continues (Journalists Have No Timetable on Signing)


MarlinsFan19
 Share

Recommended Posts


5 years is a relatively short time for a deal like this right? Maybe this works in the sense that the Marlins can hopefully ask for and actually get even more on the next deal. I feel like having to negotiate this deal during a pandemic hurt the Marlins. Plus the team was in a tricky spot where they have new ownership who were trying to improve the franchise but at the same time they weren't fully there yet. But in 5 years we'll be away from this pandemic nonsense and the team should be more successful and thus popular. I would imagine getting to renegotiate so relatively soon is to their advantage.

Plus in 5 years who knows how sports tv will be? There might not be any regional sports networks, it might be all streaming, etc etc. So not being tied down to some super long deal is gonna allow the Marlins to adapt to whatever the sports tv landscape is like five years from now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most recent TV deal was KC.  According to Fangraphs' TV deal list, that one was $44 million annually (for 6 years).  KC is the 34th biggest TV market.   Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is 18th (not including Palm Beach County which is 39th).   Even taking into account a pandemic economy, you have to think the Marlins deal is something like 6 years in the $50-$55 million range, which would be substantially more than double.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, fauowls44 said:

The most recent TV deal was KC.  According to Fangraphs' TV deal list, that one was $44 million annually (for 6 years).  KC is the 34th biggest TV market.   Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is 18th (not including Palm Beach County which is 39th).   Even taking into account a pandemic economy, you have to think the Marlins deal is something like 6 years in the $50-$55 million range, which would be substantially more than double.  

So maybe they asked for 80 and that's the disappointment?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Man On Second Baseball on Twitter: "Exciting news for #Marlins fans regarding the new TV deal for 2021 season and beyond: From what I'm hearing, fans can expect more TV coverage of Spring Training games in upcoming years. That's the plan, which will help build interest and introduce new players and prospects." / Twitter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

So maybe they asked for 80 and that's the disappointment?

$80 million is the reported amount of the Rays new deal (although they say it is less), so I'm sure that something in that range was the expectation of the new ownership group.  Of course that was before Covid and when there was something of a TV rights boom.   Something in the $50 million-ish range was always most realistic.  

Edited by fauowls44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, fauowls44 said:

$80 million is the reported amount of the Rays new deal (although they say it is less), so I'm sure that something in that range was the expectation of the new ownership group.  Of course that was before Covid and when there was something of a TV rights boom. 

not to mention the Rays are a stronger draw overall, with a better sustained success on the field whatever thats worth.  also people in the viewing area getting nearly 40 Yankee/Red Sox games as well.  

Mets/Phillies isnt nearly the draw for tv as Yankees/Red Sox.  More eyeballs = higher ad rates.

If this ownership group had this expectation that the Marlins would surpass the Rays deal then they are dumber than I gave them credit for.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Das Texan said:

not to mention the Rays are a stronger draw overall, with a better sustained success on the field whatever thats worth.  also people in the viewing area getting nearly 40 Yankee/Red Sox games as well.  

Mets/Phillies isnt nearly the draw for tv as Yankees/Red Sox.  More eyeballs = higher ad rates.

 

 

Exactly.  That has always been an underrated point about the Tampa Bay deal.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

5 years is a relatively short time for a deal like this right? Maybe this works in the sense that the Marlins can hopefully ask for and actually get even more on the next deal. I feel like having to negotiate this deal during a pandemic hurt the Marlins. Plus the team was in a tricky spot where they have new ownership who were trying to improve the franchise but at the same time they weren't fully there yet. But in 5 years we'll be away from this pandemic nonsense and the team should be more successful and thus popular. I would imagine getting to renegotiate so relatively soon is to their advantage.

Plus in 5 years who knows how sports tv will be? There might not be any regional sports networks, it might be all streaming, etc etc. So not being tied down to some super long deal is gonna allow the Marlins to adapt to whatever the sports tv landscape is like five years from now.

This was my thought on it:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

 

Red Herring.  Samson had a deal around what?  50 mil per year or so didnt he?  Jeter said, nah we'll pass.

Have to base it on what was in place ready to be signed if Sherman and Jeter agreed to it, not what has been the case.

Let's be intellectually honest here Tripp!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Undakai said:

I mean, Honestly while I liked Tommy and Rich, of the two Tommy in my pov was significantly more enjoyable.  A booth of Tommy and Severino might be really good depending if they can build chemistry together.

 

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

5 years is a relatively short time for a deal like this right? Maybe this works in the sense that the Marlins can hopefully ask for and actually get even more on the next deal. I feel like having to negotiate this deal during a pandemic hurt the Marlins. Plus the team was in a tricky spot where they have new ownership who were trying to improve the franchise but at the same time they weren't fully there yet. But in 5 years we'll be away from this pandemic nonsense and the team should be more successful and thus popular. I would imagine getting to renegotiate so relatively soon is to their advantage.

Plus in 5 years who knows how sports tv will be? There might not be any regional sports networks, it might be all streaming, etc etc. So not being tied down to some super long deal is gonna allow the Marlins to adapt to whatever the sports tv landscape is like five years from now.

Yeah, I actually think a short term deal is good here for the reasons you said.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

 

 

Why hopefully not relocated?

 

53 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Red Herring.  Samson had a deal around what?  50 mil per year or so didnt he?  Jeter said, nah we'll pass.

Have to base it on what was in place ready to be signed if Sherman and Jeter agreed to it, not what has been the case.

Let's be intellectually honest here Tripp!

 

Yes, Samson & Co. may have had 50M per year, but knowing the previous group, it could've been $50M per year for the next 100 years, and at the end of the deal everyone else is making $500M per year and we're stuck with $50M

 

With a shorter term deal, it gives the team a chance to renegotiate when the team is better and (presumably) ratings are higher, as well as they can look into alternative distribution methods like streaming.

Of course, it could also backfire, but I'm thinking it won't.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m going to say this, the team naming rights deal will be tied to the TV deal. I’m really starting to thing Bally’s Park is going to be the name after seeing the signage come down and the timing of the TV deal announcement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

I’m going to say this, the team naming rights deal will be tied to the TV deal. I’m really starting to thing Bally’s Park is going to be the name after seeing the signage come down and the timing of the TV deal announcement. 

 

What signage has come down?

 

My special skills may need to be engaged again.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, rmc523 said:

 

Yeah, I actually think a short term deal is good here for the reasons you said.

 

Why hopefully not relocated?

 

 

Yes, Samson & Co. may have had 50M per year, but knowing the previous group, it could've been $50M per year for the next 100 years, and at the end of the deal everyone else is making $500M per year and we're stuck with $50M

 

With a shorter term deal, it gives the team a chance to renegotiate when the team is better and (presumably) ratings are higher, as well as they can look into alternative distribution methods like streaming.

Of course, it could also backfire, but I'm thinking it won't.

I assume you quoted me, were going to say something and then said fuck it.

That or quote of agreement, not sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Undakai said:

I assume you quoted me, were going to say something and then said fuck it.

That or quote of agreement, not sure.

 

Oh guess I forgot to type it......I think I was confused by the "of the two Tommy in my POV...." part of your post, trying to figure out who the other Tommy was lol.  But I now realize it was an "of the two, Tommy in my POV...." and it now makes sense

 

I'm calling the grammar police!  lol

tenor.gif

 

Edited by rmc523
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2021 at 12:44 AM, rmc523 said:

 

What signage has come down?

 

My special skills may need to be engaged again.

Sorry, I usually go MIA for  while these days on the board. The trades od 2017/2018 killed my excitment for the team.

 

Yeah, the Marlins Park signage came down off the 836 side of the ballpark, someone had posted a picture of it on twitter. The photo they had showed simply "LINS Park"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...