Sign in to follow this  
rmc523

Sports Business Daily Impressions of Derek Jeter as CEO

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2019/05/13/Opinion/FORUM.aspx

A year ago in a conference room in New York City,

a group of well-regarded sports business executives were finishing up a meeting, and the conversation turned to Derek Jeter’s early, tumultuous days as owner of the Miami Marlins. “Baseball picked the wrong ownership group,” one person said, arguing that the Jeter/Bruce Sherman group was not as qualified as a competing group led by Miami business executive Jorge Mas. I listened to the criticism of the former Yankees shortstop, which added to the heavy media scrutiny Jeter already had received from local and national baseball writers.

But my view was that Jeter had won baseball’s blessing and the bid, and earned the right to do what he felt was needed to turn the franchise around. He made controversial changes — such as trading away star players and dismissing longtime advisers and “faces” of the franchise like Jeff Conine  and Jack McKeon — and people severely criticized him for being tone deaf and ill-prepared. But I wanted to be patient and give him the benefit of the doubt as he tried trying to change the narrative around a troubled franchise. 

Now, I’m beginning to have doubts about the efficacy of his leadership.  The quick parting with well-respected business executive Chip Bowers after just 14 months indicated to me that Jeter may be inheriting the traits of some of the least successful owners I’ve witnessed in sports: impatience and an inability to trust different points of view.

more at the link.

35 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Well, I hope they get proved wrong.

We all hope they are wrong.  It is just well past the time for all of us to keep saying "i told you so" regardless of ultimate success or continued failure.  We should criticize current and future moves or find agreement, depending on our opinion, but the continued going back to whether Jeter and his group are good or bad changes nothing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DTrain said:

Chip Bowers is probably a boob

LOL, probably is. Isn't he the one who said that the millennials would buy the standing room tickets and if they were not interested in the game they could look out the big windows in the back at the skyline.  I know millennials are often spacey, but not sure that was much of a selling point. 

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Well, I hope they get proved wrong.

and you keep on ignoring how inept they have been.

Just now, Das Texan said:

and you keep on ignoring how inept they have been.

I'm not ignoring it. I pay attention to it and think about it more than most. What do you want me to do? Turn into one of these people who bitch and moan left and right for every little stupidity? All I want is for this ownership to get it right, what should I do while I wait for that day? Should I jump ship like you did?

• Like 2

I think those of us in the anti-owner group are just eager to point out that this group is just as inept as the last in running a successful team and has mismanaged the bulk of (not all, but most of) the transition between the two.  Those of us who still can't stand what they did after taking the reigns and have posted about it since the first few weeks do want some acknowledgment that we were in fact right from how they handled the team.  I know those of you who lean closer to the pro-new owner side have said you'll be the first to admit you were wrong if in 3 seasons or so there's no real change in the team performance that shows true progression - but how often is that the case in real life?  Meanwhile, if they do show significant progress then I'm sure there will be no shortage of "told you so". 

Yeah, I also see your side in the sense that there's nothing you can actually DO that would change anything the team has done so why waste your time complaining about it.  I do see that point but again - there were quite a few of us who were shat on for saying they absolutely mismanaged the team during the transition and it's still troubling to see more reports regarding Jeter and Denbo about being incredibly difficult to work with and unwilling to accept that their opinions may not be right (something Loria supposedly did as well).

So yeah, can anything be done to change the past at this point? Nope.  But as Denbo will eventually realize, elephants never forget.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DTrain said:

Chip Bowers is probably a boob

Then shouldn't he be discussed in the other thread about prospect busts?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, hovertical said:

I know those of you who lean closer to the pro-new owner side have said you'll be the first to admit you were wrong if in 3 seasons or so there's no real change in the team performance that shows true progression - but how often is that the case in real life?  Meanwhile, if they do show significant progress then I'm sure there will be no shortage of "told you so". 

Still got another year and a half until then. We won't give you the "told you so," although that's almost what's happening here, isn't it? We will admit we were wrong if there is in fact no progression. If there's some (and I don't mean just a five win improvement), then I think it's fair to tack on an extra year to see if the front office made the right moves. I've said personally I'm giving them five years.