Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Piazza31

Frisbozo- Ozuna to Marlins a possibility

Recommended Posts

Will they actually go into FA this soon though? I wanted to say no but then I remembered they were after DJ LeMahieu this past offseason so they probably are looking at smart FA pickups even though they aren't contending yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SilverBullet said:

Will they actually go into FA this soon though

Project Wolverine suggests the jump comes before the 2021 season, so yeah this coming off-season would actually be a year early.

Quote

the Marlins project payrolls of $81 million in 2019, $84.8 million in 2020, $116 million in 2021 and $118.7 million in 2022.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Project Wolverine suggests the jump comes before the 2021 season, so yeah this coming off-season would actually be a year early.

We really still looking at Project Wolverine? That has always felt to me like an outline created for the ownership proposal so that they looked like they had some plan on paper but I can't believe they ever planned to stick to it 100%. And I don't mean that in a bad way either. I mean they are probably open to reevaluating the plan when needed, I don't think Project Wolverine was ever meant to be conclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SilverBullet said:

We really still looking at Project Wolverine? That has always felt to me like an outline created for the ownership proposal so that they looked like they had some plan on paper but I can't believe they ever planned to stick to it 100%. And I don't mean that in a bad way either. I mean they are probably open to reevaluating the plan when needed, I don't think Project Wolverine was ever meant to be conclusive.

Well regardless of Project Wolverine, if they don't start spending by that point -- there would be reason for concern. That would already be 4 years into things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

Well regardless of Project Wolverine, if they don't start spending by that point -- there would be reason for concern. That would already be 4 years into things.

Agreed. I think people SOMEHOW forget that they're tanking in 18-19... somewhat understandably... but if they're still tanking two years from now then we're screwed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Will they actually go into FA this soon though? I wanted to say no but then I remembered they were after DJ LeMahieu this past offseason so they probably are looking at smart FA pickups even though they aren't contending yet.

I think they will - or at least should - for the right free agent.  Their Jayson Werth signing (a year early but show you're serious).  That's why I advocated a pursuit of Machado (perhaps not to the deal he signed, but go after him), especially in hindsight with the number of extensions there were - a guy that may've been a target like Boegarts is off the table.


There seems to really only be 3 "big" potential fielding targets - Didi, Rendon, maybe Ozuna.  Pitcher targets could include a Cole, maybe Bumgarner, but a lot of teams will be in on all of them, especially the pitchers.

 

You have to start at some point, and sign some guys when they're available, even if it's slightly off your timeline - sign them to enough of a deal that will overlap with your timeline.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

We really still looking at Project Wolverine? That has always felt to me like an outline created for the ownership proposal so that they looked like they had some plan on paper but I can't believe they ever planned to stick to it 100%. And I don't mean that in a bad way either. I mean they are probably open to reevaluating the plan when needed, I don't think Project Wolverine was ever meant to be conclusive.

I get that they had to project good numbers to woo investors, but some aspects of it were clearly delusional too - mainly attendance projections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I get that they had to project good numbers to woo investors, but some aspects of it were clearly delusional too - mainly attendance projections.

More reason to not bring it up. It was clearly like when you tell your science teacher your plan to work on your science project and you just wing the whole thing anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2020-21 offseason has more pitchers - Trevor Bauer, James Paxton, Robbie Ray - and fewer hitters - highlighted by Mookie Betts, JT Realmuto, and Stanton if he opts out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...