Sign in to follow this  
Piazza31

Frisbozo- Ozuna to Marlins a possibility

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

More reason to not bring it up. It was clearly like when you tell your science teacher your plan to work on your science project and you just wing the whole thing anyways.

Right, I'm with you.  And those lack of attendance figures will also affect the budget, and negatively unless they throw money at the problem.

5 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The 2020-21 offseason has more pitchers - Trevor Bauer, James Paxton, Robbie Ray - and fewer hitters - highlighted by Mookie Betts, JT Realmuto, and Stanton if he opts out.

There is no chance in hell Stanton opts out unless he hates NY and can't deal with it. He won't beat that deal.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

There is no chance in hell Stanton opts out unless he hates NY and can't deal with it. He won't beat that deal.

Oh I know, I was just saying there's slim pickings big FA wise.

Marlins will have to overpay to get any notable FA because when given a choice between a team that has some modicum of success and/or remote chance at being successful - the player is NOT going to take Miami over the other team that's offering a similar deal.  I'm not saying they have to offer 10/200 to Ozuna or anything ridiculous like that - but yeah, they're going to have to outbid other teams by a healthy number for a FA to sign in Miami at this point especially considering the fact that there is next to zero protection in the lineup and that player is going to come here knowing his production will likely suffer.

Also, I wonder how much of that payroll leap in that stupid plan was a byproduct of expecting guys like Brinson to pan out and just be re-signed/extended and not necessarily spending on FA's?

They're going to have to spend on some proven bats for next season though as the current roster is going to be historically awful in terms of production.

3 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

the Marlins project payrolls of $81 million in 2019, $84.8 million in 2020, $116 million in 2021 and $118.7 million in 2022.

Isn't that simply just the arbitration jumps? That doesn't look much like spending ...

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Isn't that simply just the arbitration jumps? That doesn't look much like spending ...

I think with the current players, 2021 would be a lot lower than 116 million without free agent signings. Keep in mind that Chen's contract will be gone along with some others.

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

I think with the current players, 2021 would be a lot lower than 116 million without free agent signings. Keep in mind that Chen's contract will be gone along with some others.

That is true. Although if Stanton does not opt out, the Marlins then have to pay him $30M as well.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Keep in mind that Chen's contract will be gone along with some others.

Chen's been good the last few outings so I'm starting to expect a contract extension pretty soon, don't say I didn't warn you.