Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SilverBullet

Deadspin: Jeter sucks at being Marlins owner

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Because they have a fanbase to consider too.  The people that pay the bills.  I get tanking for #1..........nevermind it's not worth discussing.

Yeah I know, believe me I know it but the fanbase would also be happy with a World Series parade and a few playoff seasons too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say though... if the plan is to tank for the #1 draft pick this year then there's a chance they wanna do the same next year so now I'm not too sure they'll do much to upgrade this team for 2020 either. They'll do exactly what they did this year and add meaningless veterans on cheap deals just to keep compiling top draft picks until they think they're ready to move to the next step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I gotta say though... if the plan is to tank for the #1 draft pick this year then there's a chance they wanna do the same next year so now I'm not too sure they'll do much to upgrade this team for 2020 either. They'll do exactly what they did this year and add meaningless veterans on cheap deals just to keep compiling top draft picks until they think they're ready to move to the next step. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see attendance fall further next year if that happens/the kids don't take a step forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see attendance fall further next year if that happens/the kids don't take a step forward.

Ehh, it'd be hard to fall further than this year with attendance even with another bad team because we're kinda at that level of having just season ticket holders and those who will go no matter what so we're probably at rock bottom with attendance. 

Basically saying that the people who are going now aren't gonna go to less games just because of another bad season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

They're clearly tanking. Getting the first or second pick in the 2020 draft is clearly the goal. Once you accept that you'll have no problem realizing why this team sucks and why they didn't keep guys like Straily and Dietrich and Bour etc etc. They never wanted this team to be very good. If this is part of the plan then fine, let's do it and do it right. Picking first can be a world of difference from picking 6th or 7th... Let's do it, #1 draft pick here we come.

#TankForTork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

He also was passed over by all 30 teams at the price Miami would have had to pay for his services. 

What a HUGE price to pay your longest tenured player (who evidently is a very capable ball player if OPS matters) and maybe give your remaining fan base something to cling to. 

 

Or was Sherman/Jeter sweating the $4 million?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This.  Dietrich .... could've been trade bait.

Oh well.

This is the main thing here, I think. But then again he probably doesn't do anywhere near as, erm ... "well" as he's done in Cincinnati if he was here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our situation is weird because it was so bad before. I want to hate the ownership group. I really do. But I have seen too many guys rushed to the bigs, or traded for veterans who don't produce. I kind of feel more comfortable looking like shit. Until we have pieces ready to play.

With that said, It is so dumb to have granderson not produce in a starting role, AND let herrara super not produce in a starting role, AND castro not produce in a starting role. Like if we are going to have guys struggle I'd rather them be younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 97marlin said:

Our situation is weird because it was so bad before. I want to hate the ownership group. I really do. But I have seen too many guys rushed to the bigs, or traded for veterans who don't produce. I kind of feel more comfortable looking like shit. Until we have pieces ready to play.

Well said. This is the crazy thing with the Marlins. People are up in arms that we're so bad but really we've been so bad for so long that as long we are on the right path to getting good, what's another bad season or two? We're bad and we're gonna be bad let's at least cross our fingers that it leads to something good down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Well said. This is the crazy thing with the Marlins. People are up in arms that we're so bad but really we've been so bad for so long that as long we are on the right path to getting good, what's another bad season or two? We're bad and we're gonna be bad let's at least cross our fingers that it leads to something good down the line.

People don't look to the "path of getting good", and certainly don't see that path when we're worse than the year before (thus far, of course).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...