bmg42

Shutout record

The most times a Major League Baseball team has ever been shut out in a season was 33, the 1908 St. Louis Cardinals.

The Marlins have been shut out 8 times in 40 games, That's a pace of 32.4.

The '08 Cardinals finished 49-105, which was 6 games better than their Pythagorean projection of 43-111. The Cardinals scored 372 runs, and allowed 626.

Through 40 games, the Marlins have scored 105 and have given up 200, which is a pace of 425 for, 810 against. The Pythagorean projection has them at 9-31,

The Wikipedia page on the Cardinals of that era says "With limited financial resources, the club could ill-afford to sign the amount of the caliber of players required to field a competitive team."

Ha ha ha...

• Like 1

I can only dream this team can sustain such levels of ineptitude.  If they do hold pace - I can't wait to hear and see the offseason spin and rationale behind running a similar team out there again next season - should they decide to stand pat.

Normally in a rebuild, you like to see progress as each year goes on. Whether it is individual players or collectively. This team has taken a step back from 2018 and outside of Caleb Smith, is a disaster to watch on almost a daily basis. I believe this record along with some others is well within reach.

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Normally in a rebuild, you like to see progress as each year goes on. Whether it is individual players or collectively. This team has taken a step back from 2018 and outside of Caleb Smith, is a disaster to watch on almost a daily basis. I believe this record along with some others is well within reach.

Well, we also lost Realmuto and added absolutely nothing offensively.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Well, we also lost Realmuto and added absolutely nothing offensively.

Yes but individually, the remaining players have been the same or worse than 2018 in several cases. Basically, it is hard to look at this as the second year of the rebuild and more like another first year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yes but individually, the remaining players have been the same or worse than 2018 in several cases. Basically, it is hard to look at this as the second year of the rebuild and more like another first year.

Oh, I'm not denying that.  Just saying that doesn't help.

• Like 1

Well I can't imagine next year's position players are all the same as this years. How much of this stat counts on Castro Granderson Walker Prado and maybe Rojas? I think people forget how much of this starting lineup is transitional and on the way out. 

We also have Don Mattingly starting Rosell Herrera and his .203/.280/.243 over Harold Ramirez, who was slashing .355/.408/.591 in Triple-A and has only had the chance to play two games in the big leagues, while Herrera plays in his 35th already this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Well I can't imagine next year's position players are all the same as this years. How much of this stat counts on Castro Granderson Walker Prado and maybe Rojas? I think people forget how much of this starting lineup is transitional and on the way out. 

If we are going to be this bad might as well not waste ABs on these older guys

1 hour ago, MarlinsContinueTo ShowDominance said:

If we are going to be this bad might as well not waste ABs on these older guys

It's not wasting ABs if the younger guys aren't ready for the majors yet. Can't rush the young hitters either.