bmg42

Shutout record

20 minutes ago, UnitFox said:

The Marlins traded great hitting for decent pitching. It's hard to imagine the Marlins being anywhere near the current Astros team, especially since we have no real MLB caliber offensive players in the minors. We don't have anyone that really dominates minor league pitching except Lewis Brinson, who now seems to be wearing a blind fold for some reason. 

Marlins will need to get very lucky with a draft pick, trades or something to get some offense.

Yeah this is a key difference between the rebuilding Astros and us. Not only did they have Altuve already, something we don't have. But they had prospects such as Carlos Correa, George Springer, Alex Bregman and others. Not to mention pitchers such as Dallas Keuchel in the minors. And along with that, they had excess prospects to add a Verlander in 2017 when he was needed to put them over the top.

I am not saying the Marlins are doomed to fail forever, but it is getting harder to say they will be on Houston's timeline. Whether these current players are on the roster in a couple years or not, we simply at this time do not have the talent in the minors that Houston had.

6 minutes ago, DTrain said:

Much harder to acquire great pitching than it is great hitting 

Very true.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Or you know Harold Ramirez could play more instead of warming the bench

I don't think bench warmers get enough credit for the job they do. I mean have you tried sitting on a cold bench? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnitFox said:

It's hard to imagine the Marlins being anywhere near the current Astros team, especially since we have no real MLB caliber offensive players in the minors. We don't have anyone that really dominates minor league pitching except Lewis Brinson, who now seems to be wearing a blind fold for some reason. 

Marlins will need to get very lucky with a draft pick, trades or something to get some offense.

I went back and read an article about how the 2017 Astros were assembled. Much of that team wasn't even in the organization in 2012, the Astros only got 1 of their 3 number 1 draft picks from 2012-2014 right. It took time for the Astros to acquire the eventual championship players. They weren't in the organization in the early stages of the rebuild. So to the Marlins point they still have work to do but there's still time for it. Just because the hitting prospects seem nonexistent in the early part of year 2 here doesn't mean they can't still come later. Ideally we all want this team to get good faster but I don't know if people realize how early into the rebuild we actually might be.

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

Yeah this is a key difference between the rebuilding Astros and us. Not only did they have Altuve already, something we don't have. But they had prospects such as Carlos Correa, George Springer, Alex Bregman and others. Not to mention pitchers such as Dallas Keuchel in the minors. And along with that, they had excess prospects to add a Verlander in 2017 when he was needed to put them over the top.

I am not saying the Marlins are doomed to fail forever, but it is getting harder to say they will be on Houston's timeline. Whether these current players are on the roster in a couple years or not, we simply at this time do not have the talent in the minors that Houston had.

Read my post above... with the exception of Altuve the Astros weren't as talented in the minors yet at the beginning of their rebuild. Correa was drafted in 2012, the other pieces mostly came after that. Bregman in 2015. 

Edit: Just researched and confirmed that only 4 players on the Astros World Series roster were with organization prior to 2012, Altuve Keuchel Springer and Marwin Gonzalez. For reference I'm calling 2012 year 2 of the Astros rebuild as it was the 2nd year of 100+ losses and of the new ownership there so comparatively for us that would be 2019. So 21 players were acquired for the Astros during or after year 2. The Marlins are only in May of year 2. A long way to go but there is time. 

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither were the 2017 Astros. 

• Love 1

35 minutes ago, Marlino said:

Yeah, good pitching beats good hitting and vice versa.

I have no idea what this means 😅