Hendriks signs with White Sox

If thats going to be the market for a top reliever then it makes every team passing on Hand's deal even more idiotic.

Some real stupid teams and front offices out there.

35 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

If thats going to be the market for a top reliever then it makes every team passing on Hand's deal even more idiotic.

Some real stupid teams and front offices out there.

If this is the market, wouldn't Hand's deal be close to that? Would it not be smarter to stay away from that kind of deal?

1 minute ago, Michael said:

If this is the market, wouldn't Hand's deal be close to that? Would it not be smarter to stay away from that kind of deal?

I think he means the Indians cutting him and all the other teams not picking him up off waivers.

I wonder what this does to Kintzler's price tag?

Also why didn't Hendricks dress nice and wear black socks for the signing? 

Goodness did y'all see the contract structure?

It's a 3-year, $54M contract, with an option for a 4th year.   But get this - both the option value AND the buyout for the option is $15M itself, with the buyout deferred over a 10-year period.  That's insane.

32 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I think he means the Indians cutting him and all the other teams not picking him up off waivers.

I wonder what this does to Kintzler's price tag?

Also why didn't Hendricks dress nice and wear black socks for the signing? 

Forgot they had cut him. Hmm.

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

both the option value AND the buyout for the option is $15M itself, with the buyout deferred over a 10-year period.  That's insane.

That's to force them to pick up the option. It's the same price but over one year instead of ten. Worst case they could pick up the option and cut him that season and still avoid the deferred buyout. 

57 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

That's to force them to pick up the option. It's the same price but over one year instead of ten. Worst case they could pick up the option and cut him that season and still avoid the deferred buyout. 

Y'all gotta keep in mind the "time value" of money. Folks don't realize it, but the Bobby Bonilla deal was actually great for the Mets. Yeah, they're paying him a million dollars until the heat death of the universe, but $1M on a modern payroll is less than 2 MLB minimum salaries. Back in 1990-whatever, a $1M salary would have been a big deal, much less the $8M or so he was scheduled to make. Inflation and the steadily raising costs per win make long-term deferrals like that kinda dandy for teams.

I mean, paying Hendricks $1.5M in 2035 isn't going to be very stressful for the White Sox. By then, a bottle of Super Cola will cost $150,000 and you'll be able to buy plutonium at the convenience store. An extra $1.5M on the books will hardly bother the White Sox plans by then.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Goodness did y'all see the contract structure?

It's a 3-year, $54M contract, with an option for a 4th year.   But get this - both the option value AND the buyout for the option is $15M itself, with the buyout deferred over a 10-year period.  That's insane.

Bobby Bo approves.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah the Indians put him on waivers to not pay him $10 million and the other teams all declined as well.

Das may have a point, for once, tbh.

Of course I do.

Also I approve of the tbh, tbh.