3 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Gotta say, over the last 3 years, he's got about a 78 ERA-. This smells like a bargain right here.

Definitely a nice value signing. Would fit nicely as a compliment to Yimi in the later innings. 

If he’s the #3 piece in your bullpen, that’s solid. If they try and have him play up above that as a #2 or closing option, that’s where I get worried  

3 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

If he’s the #3 piece in your bullpen, that’s solid. If they try and have him play up above that as a #2 or closing option, that’s where I get worried

That's fair, but I'm inclined to side with them nerd folks who are usually beholden to the raw performance metrics, given we don't have meaningful insight to the "closer mentality" business. And I'd say an ERA and FIP about 20% better than league average since 2018 is plenty sufficient for closing games.

Heck, this time last year, we thought Yimi was a clever bargain sign, now he's the bullpen ace. The year before that, Nick Anderson was a clever bullpen acquisition. Hopefully the Marlins have just found their next clever add.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

That's fair, but I'm inclined to side with them nerd folks who are usually beholden to the raw performance metrics, given we don't have meaningful insight to the "closer mentality" business. And I'd say an ERA and FIP about 20% better than league average since 2018 is plenty sufficient for closing games.

Heck, this time last year, we thought Yimi was a clever bargain sign, now he's the bullpen ace. The year before that, Nick Anderson was a clever bullpen acquisition. Hopefully the Marlins have just found their next clever add.

Bass just doesn’t have the stuff to be a potential Nick Anderson. And that’s ok. I’m a fan of Yimi, but let’s not act like being the bullpen ace in Miami over the likes of James Hoyt is anything more than it is. 

Do you feel good about Anthony Bass facing Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna? How about Lindor, Conforto, Alonso? 

I’m not trying to crush the signing. I think he’s a solid, under the radar #3 or #4 piece in a pen. Still need to go find your top, high leverage guy

7 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

Bass just doesn’t have the stuff to be a potential Nick Anderson. And that’s ok. I’m a fan of Yimi, but let’s not act like being the bullpen ace in Miami over the likes of James Hoyt is anything more than it is. 

Do you feel good about Anthony Bass facing Acuna, Freeman, Ozuna? How about Lindor, Conforto, Alonso? 

I’m not trying to crush the signing. I think he’s a solid, under the radar #3 or #4 piece in a pen. Still need to go find your top, high leverage guy

I don’t feel comfortable with anyone facing those guys to be fair...

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Gotta say, over the last 3 years, he's got about a 78 ERA-. This smells like a bargain right here.

And even better:

Those xPercentiles 😍

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Just now, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

So if I'm reading that right, guys rarely barrel his pitches, but when they do, they hurt. Actually sounds like Yimi from that frame of reference (despite being very different pitchers).

To be fair that's probably most pitchers though?

17 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

Yes, few possess Anderson's stuff, but credit it where it's due: Bass throws a 95 mph sinker with a power slider that's been very effective for years.

And like @Erick said, I ain't comfortable with anyone facing those guys -- but last year, Bass DID face guys like that (and worse, when going against the NYY). But you are right, there hasn't been much competition in the bullpen. But hopefully this is the first step in the right direction.