Realmuto Re-Signs With Phillies

Michael

15 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

they won the trade ?

Realistically, even if you think having Realmuto's ear made it easier for the Phillies to resign, all it really does is make the signing a little bit cheaper. So we should still compare what we got to just the 2 control years on JT, plus maybe $10-20 million. We definitely still come out on top.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Realistically, even if you think having Realmuto's ear made it easier for the Phillies to resign, all it really does is make the signing a little bit cheaper. So we should still compare what we got to just the 2 control years on JT, plus maybe $10-20 million. We definitely still come out on top.

Yeah, sure, they won the Realmuto, Strange-Gordon, Ozuna, and Stanton trades, but can we PLEASE talk about the Yelich trade!?!?!

How did the Marlins win the Realmuto trade exactly? 

Sixto had very mixed results and pretty much sucked anytime he face a team the second time around.  Right now, Phils clearly have the best player by quite  a bit out of this deal and to have clearly the best player at a given position in all of MLB for less than 25mil a year (and not to some crazy long contract)?  sounds pretty good to me. 

If Sixto becomes a top 20 starter in MLB then maybe this conversation can be revisited.  Kinda disappointing that Fish couldn't offer 5-125.  I'm hoping it was more of an issue of JT just didn't want to come back here though.

So the Phillies basically have Marlin's payroll committed to two players.  That's two players that were part of last year's disaster - not new players.  That tells me that even with those two, the Phillies have problems.  Don't get me wrong, they're a great players, but clearly that team needs more to win.

Edited by cyoung
  • Like 4
  • Banana 1

If the Phillies had made the playoffs in 2019 or 2020 I'd say they won the trade because they accomplished what they wanted when getting Realmuto. But by not being able to extend him before he got to free agency I'm not so sure we're in the exact time frame to judge how the Phillies did on that trade. An argument can be made that they lost the trade and then, in a separate move, had to spend $115 million to keep JT around. Especially when you consider the Marlins made the playoffs over the Phillies in 2020 with the help of Sixto Sanchez... I can see the argument for saying the Marlins actually won this deal.

I mean, if I'm a Phillies fan... considering we did nothing in 2019 and 2020, we could have just kept Sixto and gone after JT in free agency now and then the 2021 Phillies have Bryce, JT, AND Sixto.

So yeah, I'm not sold on the Phillies being clear winners of that trade at all.

• Like 5
  • Banana 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

If the Phillies had made the playoffs in 2019 or 2020 I'd say they won the trade because they accomplished what they wanted when getting Realmuto. But by not being able to extend him before he got to free agency I'm not so sure we're in the exact time frame to judge how the Phillies did on that trade. An argument can be made that they lost the trade and then, in a separate move, had to spend $115 million to keep JT around. Especially when you consider the Marlins made the playoffs over the Phillies in 2020 with the help of Sixto Sanchez... I can see the argument for saying the Marlins actually won this deal.

I mean, if I'm a Phillies fan... considering we did nothing in 2019 and 2020, we could have just kept Sixto and gone after JT in free agency now and then the 2020 Phillies have Bryce, JT, AND Sixto.

Though an argument could too be made that maybe he doesn't sign with Philly at all if he hadn't played there for a couple seasons.

39 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Though an argument could too be made that maybe he doesn't sign with Philly at all if he hadn't played there for a couple seasons.

I mean... Was any other team seriously bidding on Realmuto this offseason? Folks thought it would be Mets vs. Phillies, but the Mets signed their catcher almost immediately.

If the Mets (or any other team not the Phillies or Marlins) had signed Realmuto the trade would be considered a win for the Marlins right? That tells me the trade should be judged by what the Phillies had acquired JT for and that's just the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Anything after Realmuto hit free agency is something the Phillies had to pay $115 million for. They didn't trade Sixto and Alfaro for JT in 2021 and beyond.

• Like 4

Just now, SilverBullet said:

If the Mets (or any other team not the Phillies or Marlins) had signed Realmuto the trade would be considered a win for the Marlins right? That tells me the trade should be judged by what the Phillies had acquired JT for and that's just the 2019 and 2020 seasons. Anything after Realmuto hit free agency is something the Phillies had to pay $115 million for. They didn't trade Sixto and Alfaro for JT in 2021 and beyond.

Agreed

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I mean, if I'm a Phillies fan... considering we did nothing in 2019 and 2020, we could have just kept Sixto and gone after JT in free agency now and then the 2020 Phillies have Bryce, JT, AND Sixto.

this is smartest thing that had come out of your fingers

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

Braves were on JT too

That's true, but I highly doubt -- what with d'Arnaud in place and their other commitments (Freeman, Acuna, Swanson, etc.) -- they put an offer out there that was even 70% of the Phillies offer. I wouldn't be surprised if Realmuto agents called ATL, said, "J.T. wants to talk." And then immediately texted a reporter, "Talking with NYM. Talking with ATL. Nothing signed yet."

Edited by Photo-Realistic Billy
a word
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Craig Mish, in his latest podcast, said the Marlins offered Realmuto in 2018 as much or possibly even more than what he got with Philly. Sounds like Realmuto made a mistake.

I hold no ill will towards JT but I will take great pleasure in hoping that is true. Mr. Realmuto sure misread Jeter's plan.

3 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

I think he's a smart guy but maybe not. 

He's no fool. At the time, and even now, there's fair reason to question if Jeter's plan will work but if the Marlins win another world series before the Phillies while JT has to settle for less money than Jeter offered him then holy crap I'll have to have the smile surgically removed from my face. 

• Like 2