Sign in to follow this  
rmc523

Ken Rosenthal reports Marlins tidbits

In it, they say Mattingly is likely to stay through the season.  And that Hillman and Espada are names to watch.  I still would like to see Girardi back.

Interestingly, he seemed to indicate that Hill is on the hot seat too, and may be fired after the season.

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Interestingly, he seemed to indicate that Hill is on the hot seat too, and may be fired after the season.

Until he finds new blackmail material.

If they plan to definitely change managers next season, I still don't understand the reason for waiting.

24 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

If they plan to definitely change managers next season, I still don't understand the reason for waiting.

Rosenthal said it, because they don't want to pay two managers at once. I know what you're saying but that may really be the sole reason. Also, has Mattingly really done that poorly considering the team he has? He hasn't really given a definitive reason to be fired and if he's still keeping the clubhouse together than he might be doing as well as he possibly can at this point.

As for Mike Hill, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go but at the same time it would be weirder with each passing day. How do you let a GM go two seasons into a rebuild and then replace him? If they were gonna dump Hill they should have done it on day one so the new GM can help develop the rebuild in his way. Like what if a new guy comes in and doesn't like what he sees and wants to shake things up in a way that clashes with what has already been put together? It's counter productive and could even set us back yet again. Just something to think about.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Rosenthal said it, because they don't want to pay two managers at once.

Cheap fucks. Getting a new guy in sooner makes sense to me if they are sure mattingly won’t be kept. Whether not resigning him is the right decision or not is debatable, but if he’s a goner I do not see an upside in keeping him the whole season.

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Rosenthal said it, because they don't want to pay two managers at once. I know what you're saying but that may really be the sole reason. Also, has Mattingly really done that poorly considering the team he has? He hasn't really given a definitive reason to be fired and if he's still keeping the clubhouse together than he might be doing as well as he possibly can at this point.

As for Mike Hill, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go but at the same time it would be weirder with each passing day. How do you let a GM go two seasons into a rebuild and then replace him? If they were gonna dump Hill they should have done it on day one so the new GM can help develop the rebuild in his way. Like what if a new guy comes in and doesn't like what he sees and wants to shake things up in a way that clashes with what has already been put together? It's counter productive and could even set us back yet again. Just something to think about.

I have a hard time believing Mike Hill plays the role of a traditional GM. I don’t think he has as much say/final decision in transactions as he portrays. To me, he has always been the public face/muppet. I could be wrong 

Jeter has Hill in his pocket and he can time his firing just right so to give the appearance that “no this guy over here” didn’t do his job”. He doesn’t need to play that card just yet.  

31 minutes ago, marlins_09 said:

I have a hard time believing Mike Hill plays the role of a traditional GM. I don’t think he has as much say/final decision in transactions as he portrays. To me, he has always been the public face/muppet. I could be wrong 

Even if that's the case, a new guy would come in with new ideas that might be counter productive to what they've done so far.

If a chef is making a soup with his chosen ingredients but then halfway through the cooking a new chef is brought in to finish the soup the way he wants with this ingredients then the final product might taste like shit. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

If a chef is making a soup with his chosen ingredients but then halfway through the cooking a new chef is brought in to finish the soup the way he wants with this ingredients then the final product might taste like shit. 

get your 'Stros soup shit outta here

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

get your 'Stros soup shit outta here

My Astros didn't change their GM a couple of years into their rebuild is my point. The guy who started the process was able to complete the process.