Marlins Interested In Chasen Shreve

11 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

Seems like a good pitcher to take a chance on. I would like Kintzler back, too. Not as the closer, but as a 6th/7th inning guy, or the guy you bring in when you really need a double play, I think he'd be great.

My question is, though, who do you remove from the bullpen?

There's two rule five picks in the bullpen with Campbell and Pop.

You got Cimber, Detwiler, and Bass who were just signed (Cimber was traded for, I know, but it was for cash so let's stick with that).

Bleier for another lefty and better numbers than Detwiler.

Yimi and Hoyt round it off.

Who goes? That bullpen's really not bad. Yes Campbell and Pop are unproven, I know, and Detwiler and Hoyt probably regress. But ... who goes?

• Like 1

Ya know, if we're ever going to use an Opener, this year might be a good one to do it.

Have ... IDK, any one of Cimber, Pop, Campbell Open and have Elieser take the five innings after them. Maybe even six, depending how he's doing. Just don't let him face more than 20 batters.

After that. Bass. Yimi. Ballgame.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael said:

You got Cimber, Detwiler, and Bass who were just signed (Cimber was traded for, I know, but it was for cash so let's stick with that).

Bleier for another lefty and better numbers than Detwiler.

Yimi and Hoyt round it off.

Who goes? That bullpen's really not bad. Yes Campbell and Pop are unproven, I know, and Detwiler and Hoyt probably regress. But ... who goes?

I just realized Paul Campbell has actually been getting a lot of starts his last couple seasons. 32 starts out of 40 appearances. They don't appear to be "Opener" type starts either. 144 innings in 2019. If we decide to use him in the rotation instead of the bullpen ... which would be odd, but not impossible ... then we've indeed got us an open spot in the bullpen. Unless Elieser goes there. IDK. A lot of possibilities.

15 hours ago, Erick said:

He would have to pitch well in Spring Training, I think.

Actually, he would have to be not terrible in ST, there's a difference for a rule 5 guy. The team is more likely to keep a rule 5 pick beyond ST. He's not guaranteed a spot but they acquired him for a reason so he's pretty much got a spot unless he's a complete disaster.

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Keep in mind that Rule 5 guys can be on the IL. It's "not allowed" but happens every single year. 

Didn't Pop finish the 2019 season injured? I think teams keep that in mind when they draft these guys.

Also, as with the case of Elieser and his blister issues, the IL stints aren't always phantom IL stints. Elieser still definitely has blister issues.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:10 PM, Michael said:

Pop was selected by Arizona in the rule 5 draft, but the Marlins got him in a trade. Would we really have to give him back if he doesn't make the roster?