Future Rotation

mystikol87

Can I just gush about how good the rotation is looking over the next couple of years?

1. Sixto Sanchez

2. Sandy Alcantara

3. Max Meyer

4. Edward Cabrera

5. Pablo Lopez

The rest:

• Trevor Rogers -- Top 100 Prospect
  • Braxton Garrett -- Former Top 100 Prospect
  • Eliezer Hernandez -- Looked great at times last year
  • Nick Neidert

That's like 4 guys with ace potential + Pablo + 2 Top 100 prospects + a couple more arms with big league starter potential. Wow.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mystikol87 said:

Can I just gush about how good the rotation is looking over the next couple of years?

1. Sixto Sanchez

2. Sandy Alcantara

3. Max Meyer

4. Edward Cabrera

5. Pablo Lopez

The rest:

• Nick Neidert

That's like 4 guys with ace potential + Pablo + 2 Top 100 prospects + a couple more arms with big league starter potential. Wow.

this puts a good spin on things

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

1. Sixto Sanchez

2. Sandy Alcantara

3. Max Meyer

4. Edward Cabrera

5. Pablo Lopez

The rest:

• Nick Neidert

This off-season may have been the best time to sell high on Pablo, TBH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

1. Sixto Sanchez

2. Sandy Alcantara

3. Max Meyer

4. Edward Cabrera

5. Pablo Lopez

The rest:

• Nick Neidert

I dunno, where's the crafty Strailey type? The veteran workhorse Despaigne type? The underrated, under the radar Drew Rucinski type?

Korea? Oh. They're all literally in Korea?

Yeah... I prefer the current group. It's not guaranteed to be the dawn of a golden age, but the horizon is definitely sparkling.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

1. Sixto Sanchez

2. Sandy Alcantara

3. Max Meyer

4. Edward Cabrera

5. Pablo Lopez

The rest:

• Nick Neidert

Yeah this is just filthy. Part of me thinks Meyer might end up as a closer, depending on how that changeup comes along. too early to tell, but it’s nice that if that is the case it doesn’t ruin the future rotation. 

I’m also very high on Rogers. I think he ends up as a high end #3, while Braxton likely transitions to a swing starter/bullpen role or trade candidate for an impact bat. 

This doesn’t look half bad either: 

1. Sixto 

2. Sandy 

3. Rogers 

4. Cabrera 

5. Pablo

Pen: Garrett, Neidert 

Closer: Meyer 

Edited by marlins_09

3 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

Yeah this is just filthy. Part of me thinks Meyer might end up as a closer, depending on how that changeup comes along. too early to tell, but it’s nice that if that is the case it doesn’t ruin the future rotation. 

I’m also very high on Rogers. I think he ends up as a high end #3, while Braxton likely transitions to a swing starter/bullpen role or trade candidate for an impact bat. 

1. Sixto 

2. Sandy 

3. Rogers 

4. Cabrera 

5. Pablo

I actually expect Cabrera to be the #1 / #2

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I agree 100%

I would wait at the trade deadline to deal Pablo.  His stock can still rise.  

We need to wait for players to reach higher value, although he is pretty solid right now.   It could go down as another bad timing trade. 

5 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

1. Sixto 

2. Sandy 

3. Rogers 

4. Cabrera 

5. Pablo

I like Meyer in the rotation, but I can see us starting him as a closer just to ease him in if it presents itself.  Who knows, he may do so well it becomes a career thing.  

IDK if Rogers can reach the #3 spot with our talent.  He’s definitely a 5th option though.  

2 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I actually expect Cabrera to be the #1 / #2

I don’t think Sandy is going to let that happen. 

Just wondering, do you see a decline in Sandy or something in Sixto to have Cabrera at the #1 or #2 on your list?

9 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I don’t think Sandy is going to let that happen. 

Just wondering, do you see a decline in Sandy or something in Sixto to have Cabrera at the #1 or #2 on your list?

I think MM just sees Ed as being THAT GOOD rather than what you're positing. 🙂

1 hour ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I like Meyer in the rotation, but I can see us starting him as a closer just to ease him in if it presents itself.  Who knows, he may do so well it becomes a career thing.  

IDK if Rogers can reach the #3 spot with our talent.  He’s definitely a 5th option though.  

Rogers really impressed me last season. The amount of swing and misses he got with the fastball was shocking. That fastball/slider combo reminded me of a left handed Josh Johnson. Guys just couldn’t pick it up. 

How much he improves his command and changeup/cutter will ultimately define his ceiling. Definitely glad he’s in our system 

edit: adding some #’s just to put this in perspective 

Whiff % on Fastballs 

Rogers (2020): 29.7% 

Sale (2019): 28.5% 

Snell (2019): 27.2% 

Edited by marlins_09
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 2

1 hour ago, marlins_09 said:

Rogers really impressed me last season. The amount of swing and misses he got with the fastball was shocking. That fastball/slider combo reminded me of a left handed Josh Johnson. Guys just couldn’t pick it up. 

How much he improves his command and changeup/cutter will ultimately define his ceiling. Definitely glad he’s in our system 

Whiff % on Fastballs 

The Josh Johnson comparison is nice, both had/have that smooth delivery with a sneaky fastball that didnt look overwhelming but somehow just was. 

He could become a stud like JJ.  If I remember Josh was a bigger and had that mound presence to him. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

On 2/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, mystikol87 said:

1. Sixto Sanchez

2. Sandy Alcantara

3. Max Meyer

4. Edward Cabrera

5. Pablo Lopez

The rest:

• Nick Neidert

One more note: 3/5 starters in my hypothetical rotation have had success at the MLB level. Cabrera had success at AA in 2019. Meyer is 22 years old and pitched in college for 3 years.

In short, you could also argue that these guys have pretty low floors and high likelihoods of MLB success, given their success at upper levels, polish, and "stuff." That's very promising relative to, say, a bunch of high-ceiling guys in A ball.

• Like 1

Do you believe the Marlins rotation of Sixto Sánchez, Max Meyer, Edward Cabrera, Sandy Alcantara, Pablo López and Trevor Williams will become the best young rotation in baseball? Or do you feel Detroit is still the favorite there?
-- @SportsMia

While I love Detroit's big three, Miami's isn't far behind and I'm going with the Marlins because of the depth behind them. Sánchez, Meyer and Cabrera could become frontline starters, Sandy Alcantara and Pablo López are established big leaguers who will still be just 25 this season, and there are not-quite-Top-100 prospects such as Braxton Garrett, Trevor Rogers and Nick Neidert who pitched in Miami last year. And on top of all that, the Marlins grabbed five pitchers we ranked among the 80 best prospects in the 2020 Draft: Meyer (first round), Dax Fulton (second round), Kyle Nicolas (supplemental second), Zach McCambley (third) and Jake Eder (fourth).

MLB Pipeline's Jim Callis was asked if he preferred the future rotations of the Marlins or the Tigers and this was his answer.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-top-100-prospects-list-pipeline-inbox?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

• Like 2

22 hours ago, marlins_09 said:

Whiff % on Fastballs 

I also like how he adjusted in game. My only concern is the command. Sometimes it gets away from him. Was definitely concerned about it in his first year in the minors but it did improve in 2019 so I have hope that he can improve.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

I also like how he adjusted in game. My only concern is the command. Sometimes it gets away from him. Was definitely concerned about it in his first year in the minors but it did improve in 2019 so I have hope that he can improve.

Good points. Trevors ceiling will ultimately be defined by the development of his command. 

He has swing a miss stuff. His biggest challenge is going to be consistently attacking so he can avoid those outings where he’s approaching 80 pitches in the 4th inning. 

The nice thing is that for a tall, lengthy lefty, his command isn’t so bad that we’re discussing if he’ll ever stick in the show. If he can get to even slightly above avg command, we’re talking about a profile very similar to Blake Snell 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.