Ozuna re-signing with Atlanta

SonOfJack

47 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Screenshot_20210206-121329_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d70bc0dbfe5f2b1d4c38898e878939c9.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what he's trying to say here. His preface makes me think he's going to lament the fact those hitters all got traded, but his follow-up is a suggestion that basically no one could afford all 4 of them.

I do think those fellas are great cautionary tale -- one the Mets should have paid attention to. You need much, much more than just a handful of stars. You need what I call "fer real" back up, like how the Yankees, Rays, and Dodgers all seem to have a dozen pitchers on standby who throw 100 "with cut and sink" as DeRo says on The Show.

For as great as those 4 hitters are and were, Wei-Yin Chen, Jose Ureña, and Tom Koehler were never going to get this team to the promised land.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I'm not sure exactly what he's trying to say here. His preface makes me think he's going to lament the fact those hitters all got traded, but his follow-up is a suggestion that basically no one could afford all 4 of them.

I do think those fellas are great cautionary tale -- one the Mets should have paid attention to. You need much, much more than just a handful of stars. You need what I call "fer real" back up, like how the Yankees, Rays, and Dodgers all seem to have a dozen pitchers on standby who throw 100 "with cut and sink" as DeRo says on The Show.

For as great as those 4 hitters are and were, Wei-Yin Chen, Jose Ureña, and Tom Koehler were never going to get this team to the promised land.

The Angels need this lesson more than the Mets at this point cause holy hell that team reminds me so much of those 14-17 Marlins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Yeah, he could've just removed the "I preface this by saying" and said the same exact thing.

The problem with those teams was always that the pitching wasn't great to begin with, and then once one guy (applies to the lineup too) goes down, the team would implode.

Edited by rmc523

Yeah but that tweet isn't so much about not being able to win with those guys as much as reminding people that even if Jeter had keep them there was no way to actually keep them together by now either. That team was gonna be dismantled by now whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

At best we would have only had Stanton and Yelich. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah but that tweet isn't so much about not being able to win with those guys as much as reminding people that even if Jeter had keep them there was no way to actually keep them together by now either. That team was gonna be dismantled by now whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

At best we would have only had Stanton and Yelich. 

I almost wonder, if we had really traded ONLY Stanton, what would have happened?

Obviously no Sandy and no Sixto, and no Gallen -> Chisholm ... 

IDK. It was probably all best that it did happen the way it did.

44 minutes ago, Michael said:

I almost wonder, if we had really traded ONLY Stanton, what would have happened?

Obviously no Sandy and no Sixto, and no Gallen -> Chisholm ... 

IDK. It was probably all best that it did happen the way it did.

they could have traded JT too and just signed him again this offseason.  he got a very fair deal that wouldn't have exactly been crippling financially for any team. 

3 minutes ago, hovertical said:

they could have traded JT too and just signed him again this offseason.  he got a very fair deal that wouldn't have exactly been crippling financially for any team. 

That's true ... and we'd have had Stanton off the books anyways with Yelich still on a team-friendly deal.

Hmm.

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's true ... and we'd have had Stanton off the books anyways with Yelich still on a team-friendly deal.

Hmm.

That's my thinking anyway.  I'm still irritated JT didn't get signed because he would have filled two giant needs (lineup and handling the young pitchers).  I mean maybe he just didn't want to play back in Miami?  We'll likely never know but I'm thinking they just didn't make an offer tbh.  Yelich and JT in the lineup with the prospects and players from the JT, Ozuna, and Stanton deals?  sign me up for that. 

wishful thinking

1 minute ago, hovertical said:

I mean maybe he just didn't want to play back in Miami?  We'll likely never know but I'm thinking they just didn't make an offer tbh.

Mish said on his podcast that the Marlins offered as much or more than what he ultimately got. I think maybe Realmuto was more optimistic about the FA market and also didn't think Miami was going to be a winner anytime soon, but from everything I've heard, there was a legitimate effort to sign him long-term.

9 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Mish said on his podcast that the Marlins offered as much or more than what he ultimately got. I think maybe Realmuto was more optimistic about the FA market and also didn't think Miami was going to be a winner anytime soon, but from everything I've heard, there was a legitimate effort to sign him long-term.

I don't think he's (JT) is naive enough to believe Miami isn't going to be a winner anytime soon and if he wanted more money then why wouldn't he have taken the bigger contract Mish said Miami offered versus what the Philthies offered?  That just doesn't make much sense tbh.  Regardless, can't change it now.

27 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I don't think he's (JT) is naive enough to believe Miami isn't going to be a winner anytime soon and if he wanted more money then why wouldn't he have taken the bigger contract Mish said Miami offered versus what the Philthies offered?  That just doesn't make much sense tbh.  Regardless, can't change it now.

I think Mish was talking about the extension they offered (not an offer make in the past few months or anything). At that time, I think Realmuto had hopes of hitting free agency and having 6 teams bid on him, instead of just negotiating with the Marlins. But it turned out only the Phillies and maybe the Braves made a meaningful push during his free agency.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Naw, judging by the replies to any atMarlins tweet, plenty of folks are wrestling with disappointment in one arm and anger in the other. You're definitely not alone.

Like the people who were devastated when we traded Jordan Yamamoto? Lol.

And in all seriousness, I actually would have been perfectly cool with bringing Ozuna back, but on something like a two-year deal. There was no way I would have wanted the Marlins to give a four-year contract to a 30-year-old wildly inconsistent hitter who is rapidly declining in the field. Perhaps the DH will become a thing in the NL at some point during his contract, but if it doesn't, I do not like Ozuna on a four-year deal in the long run.

Heck, even if the MLB does institute a league-wide DH, I'm still not sure if I would want to be on the hook for four years of Ozuna. Not at this stage of his career.

Edited by Valid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

It sounds like Realmuto didn't have as many suitors as he expected. Now that he's signed I wonder how many teams realized they could have beaten that Phillies offer but just never tried because they thought the numbers would be way higher? 

Precisely.  Based on that deal that he ended up with, I am irked that Miami didn't offer that or a bit more even.  Offering the same would have even technically been more since Florida doesn't have have that state income tax either.  I think PA does?  Regardless, they flubbed that chance to really improve the club at two crucial spots - assuming they didn't try to at least match that offer and it wasn't an issue of JT just not wanting to come back here.

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

Precisely.  Based on that deal that he ended up with, I am irked that Miami didn't offer that or a bit more even.  Offering the same would have even technically been more since Florida doesn't have have that state income tax either.  I think PA does?  Regardless, they flubbed that chance to really improve the club at two crucial spots - assuming they didn't try to at least match that offer and it wasn't an issue of JT just not wanting to come back here.

I kind of feel that it would've taken an overwhelming difference for him to come back here, though.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, rmc523 said:

I kind of feel that it would've taken an overwhelming difference for him to come back here, though.

based on what he ended up taking i think they should have offered 125/5 to bring him back to Miami maybe even 130/5 if that didn't make him bite.  that combined with the extra 3% he gets back from no state income tax would have likely swayed his mind. Yeah, we'll never know if an offer was extended or not and it's not happening now so moot point at this juncture.  I'm still just a bit shocked he signed for 23mil a season and not for some crazy 10-12 year deal but a very reasonable 5 year deal.