Possible “Called It” Thread?

Would anyone be down for a “called it” thread?  For fun, no prizes just bragging rights.  

Here are some possible categories,

Marlins W/L Record (self explanatory)

Marlins unsung hero (A player who is team first, played through injury, act of bravery sometimes without notice)

Marlins breakout player( Most improved based on current expectations)

Marlins MVP player (The player who put the team on their back)

Worst Marlin (A player that will cause you to lose your temper, most be an impactful player)  

Looking for input, so feel free to change or add categories. If it seems to get a positive reaction, maybe it can go into a season thread?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Isan Diaz. Book it. He's going to create good problems, giving the Marlins too many high-quality middle-infielders.

REALLY bold prediction: 25 HR and above average UZR/DRS at 2B.

He was outstanding in AAA in 2019 (.305/.395/.578 with 26 homers), so this type of production is not completely out of the realm of possibility. I'd honestly be thrilled if he hit somewhere between 15-20 homers provided that his slash line were good enough overall.

Edited by Valid
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Isan Diaz. Book it. He's going to create good problems, giving the Marlins too many high-quality middle-infielders.

REALLY bold prediction: 25 HR and above average UZR/DRS at 2B.

And Jazz also goes off forcing Miggy Ro to be a utility infielder off the bench.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael said:

We used to do something like this called "pick the first" - usually did it close to opening day so the roster would be more finalized. First hit, double, triple, homer, etc etc.

Could even throw in bold predictions, if you so wished.

I'm cool with this idea.

Waiting near the end of spring training sounds good. Bold predictions is as well.  

I’ll try to think on a way to simplify it as much as possible yet make it advanced and unique to. 

Yea good idea but a lot of these have to wait until right before Opening day, though some can be already started now.

I wanna propose funny names for the categories though...

Things like The Zac Gallen Award, The Andrew Cashner's Beard's Memorial Trophy, The Two Pitchers Away Cup, and The Stanton Historically International Trophy (abbreviated as S.H.I.T.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea good idea but a lot of these have to wait until right before Opening day, though some can be already started now.

Things like The Zac Gallen Award, The Andrew Cashner's Beard's Memorial Trophy, The Two Pitchers Away Cup, and The Stanton Historically International Trophy (abbreviated as S.H.I.T.) 

Too early? Are we worried our predictions would be too bold? 😂 

I personally think it would have been much more fun to predict 2019 Dan Strailey was going to have a great season (weeks before getting cut) than, say, 2019 no-name reliever Nick Anderson was going to have a great season after having impressed on Spring and being named to the Opening Day roster.

One is a BOLD prediction. One's just a hunch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

The Hanley Ramirez award for most worst team player?  

12 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Too early? Are we worried our predictions would be too bold? 😂 

I personally think it would have been much more fun to predict 2019 Dan Strailey was going to have a great season (weeks before getting cut) than, say, 2019 no-name reliever Nick Anderson was going to have a great season after having impressed on Spring and being named to the Opening Day roster.

One is a BOLD prediction. One's just a hunch.

I agree with this.  I think it’s better to get it started before spring training just for the bold factor.   The roster can change based on spring training play but still that’s part of this “called it thread” , “picks to click”, whatever you guys want to name it. 

Silver has come up with some nice takes. Maybe I can make the categories and you guys can name them.  

• Like 1

Youre Busted (Biggest Bust)

Buyers or Sellers (@ trade deadline) (The Gallen Award?)

Fielders Choice (Best fielder)

Unsung hero (A player who is team first, played through injury, act of bravery sometimes without notice)

MVP (The player who put the team on their back)

Breakout Marlin (Not covid) (Becomes a foundational piece, most improved based on current expectations)

Best Utility (Not great at anything but good at everything)

Worst Marlin (Performance based or character issues)

W/L Record (self explanatory)

Repeat Offenders (postseason Y/N) 

Here’s a new list.  Any more categories I should add or leave out?   Please feel free to rename them.  Just give examples if so.

I would like to get this going before spring training but not if the mods want to wait.  It’s fine by me either way.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I would like to get this going before spring training but not if the mods want to wait.  It’s fine by me either way.  

We could definitely do this now. I think I mentioned waiting because I was more used to the traditional opening day predictions thread with who would get specific things like the first hit and the first home run and stuff like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

We could definitely do this now. I think I mentioned waiting because I was more used to the traditional opening day predictions thread with who would get specific things like the first hit and the first home run and stuff like that.

I'm also fine with it now.

We can add the more fun solidified roster predictions in late March.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I could separate the list into two topics, Players and Team predictions. 

Thanks for the feedback 

Nah bro, let the mods do it. That’s what they get paid for 😂😂

and It was a tongue in cheek comment, you don’t owe anyone any quality of work. If we don’t like it we can do it ourselves lol

• Haha 1