Sign in to follow this  
THRILLHO

5-22 Marlins at Tigers

The tanking thing is comical to me. This isn’t the nba or nfl this is mlb. The drop off between first overall and second overall usually isn’t a huge deal. To build a team you need to draft well throughout the draft. Make smart moves with international signings. Smart trades etc. Sure if you end up sucking and pick first great. If you pick second you still have a great chance of getting a great player there. 

Plus right now seeing the young players , pitchers in particular doing well and developing in big league action is more important than tanking for the first overall pick. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

The tanking thing is comical to me. This isn’t the nba or nfl this is mlb. The drop off between first overall and second overall usually isn’t a huge deal. To build a team you need to draft well throughout the draft. Make smart moves with international signings. Smart trades etc. Sure if you end up sucking and pick first great. If you pick second you still have a great chance of getting a great player there. 

The only time it matters is when you know there is a Ken Griffey, Jr. type out there, but it is very rare... Not many #1 overalls had that kind of a career so it is really a crapshoot... https://www.mlb.com/news/recall-mlb-s-no-1-overall-draft-picks-c275618784

• Like 3

Getting one of the higher picks can definitely help but I'd say getting more picks (as in quantity) and making sure you draft well properly is probably more important than just having the top pick.

I like the line used by the Marlins front office about "layering" their talent throughout the various levels. Doing that to an extent in the draft as well is a smart move.