Official “Called It” Thread

All picks remain locked throughout seasons end. One player per category, no take backs, with an honorable mention if so desired.  Explanations are welcomed. 

TWO Topics: PLAYER PREDICTIONS & TEAM PREDICTIONS.  Make your list under the appropriate topic.  List your picks in sequence for each topic.

PLAYER PREDICTIONS,                                           

1. MVP (The player who put the team on their back)

2. BREAKOUT MARLIN (Becomes a foundational piece, most improved based on current expectations)

3. BEST UTILITY (Not great at anything but good at everything)

4. UNSUNG HERO (A player who is team first, played through injury, act of bravery sometimes without notice)

5. FIELDERS CHOICE (Best fielder)

6. YOURE BUSTED (Biggest Bust)

TEAM PREDICTIONS,

1. W/L RECORD  (based on 162 games played)

2. REPEAT OFFENDERS (postseason Y/N) 

3. BUYERS OR SELLERS (@ trade deadline) 

Good luck!! 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 1

PLAYER PREDICTIONS                     

1. MVP:   Sandy

2. BREAKOUT MARLIN:  Isan 

3. BEST UTILITY:  Berti

4. UNSUNG HERO: Harold

5. FIELDERS CHOICE:   Miggy Ro

6. YOU'RE BUSTED:  Brinson

TEAM PREDICTIONS

1. W/L RECORD:  70-92

2. REPEAT OFFENDERS:  No

3. BUYERS OR SELLERS:  Buyers

• Like 2

PLAYER PREDICTIONS 

1. MVP: COOPER (Sandy Honorable mention)

2. Breakout Marlin: JAZZ 

3. Best Utility: BERTI 

4. Unsung Hero:  WALLACH

5. Fielders Choice: JAZZ

6. Youre Busted: ALFARO (Wallach is better)

TEAM PREDICTIONS 

1. W/L Record: 77 - 85

2. Repeat Offenders: No

3. Buyers or Sellers: Buyers 

• Like 1

PLAYER PREDICTIONS,                                           

1. MVP: Sixto. He has a generational skillset and will learn to “pitch” this season and dominate. (Sandy as Honorable mention)

2. BREAKOUT MARLIN: Alfaro (he strikes me as the kind of dude that got a fire started under him when he got benched in the playoffs for a scrub like Wallach. He’s gonna have at least a .260/.320/.500 line this year with 20+ bombs, and much improved defense,book it!

3. BEST UTILITY: Berti. Partly because there aren’t really any other “utility” guys on the team. Mostly just backup outfielders and the hope that Isan Diaz puts it together.

4. UNSUNG HERO: Miggy Ro. Needs no explanation, he’s the cap’n!

5. FIELDERS CHOICE: Lewin Diaz. The dude is already a stud with the glove and now he has ML coaching.

6. YOURE BUSTED: Brinson. He may possibly even improve from last year, but at this point, anything less than the .290/.350/.450 kind of production that was expected of him when the team acquired him makes him a bust. 

7. LAST CHANCE (player with a make or break year. Sorry I took the liberty and added it to mine): Isan Diaz. The team is approaching the end of the rebuild and thus losing the luxury of being patient with players. They can’t go all in to win with a hole at second so if he doesn’t start putting it together, they’ll pick up an established long term 2B via trade/free agency

TEAM PREDICTIONS,

1. W/L RECORD: 80-82

2. REPEAT OFFENDERS: unfortunately not. The full season will regress them back to their true mean and negate the cold streaks that Washington had in 2020. But they will approach .500 for the first time in a while.

3. BUYERS OR SELLERS: Buyers of players with multiple years of control in order to supplement the prospects coming up and mark the end of the rebuild. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Seeing some safe picks! I want some hot takes out here!

I got ya...

PLAYER PREDICTIONS,                                           

1. MVP whoever wins MVP on the Marlins will be traded away the next offseason, amirite?

2. BREAKOUT MARLIN Last year it was Alfaro but hopefully this year there are no breakouts

3. BEST UTILITY a screwdriver but I really liked Mike Mordecai back in the day

4. UNSUNG HERO Hawkeye, he never gets enough credit and still never got a solo film

5. FIELDERS CHOICE I'll choose Cecil but Prince was fun to watch

6. YOURE BUSTED (Biggest Bust) Anyone remember Lucy Pinder?

TEAM PREDICTIONS,

1. W/L RECORD  (based on 162 games played) ask me again in October

2. REPEAT OFFENDERS I was gonna go with Ugueth Urbina but he's probably learned his lesson so I'll go with Ramon Castro

3. BUYERS OR SELLERS definitely one or the other

• Haha 3

PLAYER PREDICTIONS

1. MVP: Miguel Rojas. I think the 2020 breakout on offense was real. He'll be a year older, yes, so the production might go down a bit, but his knee-slappin' defense and solid hitting will get him AT LEAST a Gold Glove this year.

2. BREAKOUT MARLIN: Isan Diaz. Mentioned this in the other thread. I'm boldly predicting 25 HR and positive DRS/UZR.

3. BEST UTILITY: Jazz Chisholm. I love Berti, but I'm going to guess Jazz forces himself into super utility playing time, knocks a few dingers in the process (maybe 15 HR in 400 PA?).

4. UNSUNG HERO: Chad Wallach. I'm hopeful Alfaro has a bounce back, but even if he does, I could see more and more pitchers asking to throw to Wallach and he helps make the Marlins rotation top in the MLB.

5. FIELDERS CHOICE: Miguel Rojas, in keeping with my guess above. GG win this year.

6. YOURE BUSTED: Respectfully decline.

TEAM PREDICTIONS

1. W/L RECORD: 86-64 (because 12 games get cancelled across the league for various COVID outbreaks)

2. REPEAT OFFENDERS: Yes! WC winners, but they give ATL a run for the division.

3. BUYERS OR SELLERS: Both, Rays style.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

3. BUYERS OR SELLERS: Both, Rays style.

Hell yee!

Duvall, Dickerson, Marte all out the door.

Trade a couple OF prospects who are somewhere between 8th and 15th on our OF list.

And uhhh yeah!

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Hell yee!

Duvall, Dickerson, Marte all out the door.

Trade a couple OF prospects who are somewhere between 8th and 15th on our OF list.

And uhhh yeah!

Not sure if you’re joking lol 

do you mean to then have Bleday,Encarnación,Brinson/Harrison man the outfield? Seems to be a bit of a rush for them, don’t you think?

9 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Not sure if you’re joking lol 

do you mean to then have Bleday,Encarnación,Brinson/Harrison man the outfield? Seems to be a bit of a rush for them, don’t you think?

All depends how they're doing. Don't forget Sanchez. Aguilar will be traded, too.

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah Aguilar will go to make room for Lewin for sure. And yeah hopefully Sanchez can figure it out cause what he showed in the small 2020 sample size was brutal. 

Most prospects had brutal 2020 campaigns. That wasn't Marlins exclusive. Heh.

17 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

This is not my "called it." More of PECOTA's. Just want to reference this at the end of the season so I'll save it here. I can't see the Marlins losing 90+ games.

I can't see the Braves finishing below second.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

This is not my "called it." More of PECOTA's. Just want to reference this at the end of the season so I'll save it here. I can't see the Marlins losing 90+ games.

We won’t lose 90 games.  Our pitching staff could be top 5 in the league.  The defense is borderline elite or very good especially if Brinson or Harrison have a nice breakout.  This team is built ideally for a 162 game season. We could also have the most roster depth.  We should place 2nd or 3rd.  

I see the Nats & Phillies fighting for last. Braves should finish 2nd. But after Fried & Anderson it’s meh and their bullpen was amazing last year.  They are very vulnerable if they have injuries. 

Let’s hope the Mets struggle early and the media pressure becomes to much. We gotta believe if they are .500 or below with 20 gms in the media and fan base will implode.

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

We won’t lose 90 games.  Our pitching staff could be top 5 in the league.  The defense is borderline elite or very good especially if Brinson or Harrison have a nice breakout.  This team is built ideally for a 162 game season. We could also have the most roster depth.  We should place 2nd or 3rd.  

I see the Nats & Phillies fighting for last. Braves should finish 2nd. But after Fried & Anderson it’s meh and their bullpen was amazing last year.  They are very vulnerable if they have injuries. 

Let’s hope the Mets struggle early and the media pressure becomes to much. We gotta believe if they are .500 or below with 20 gms in the media and fan base will implode.

Personally, I'm concerned about the longevity of the pitching staff, namely the starters.  I'd love to see a veteran guy that can eat up innings.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Personally, I'm concerned about the longevity of the pitching staff, namely the starters.  I'd love to see a veteran guy that can eat up innings.

We're going to see some phantom injured list stints for sure, and thankfully we have a few pitching prospects close enough who will be able to take some innings.

Pablo and Sandy should be alright to reach 180+ innings as needed. 8-man bullpen will also help of course.

Sixto will be intriguing and get a couple skipped starts for sure. Elieser should never go beyond five innings UNLESS he's developed that change-up.

If Campbell is on the OD roster, he can do spot starts to avoid some of those IL stints - Rays had been lengthening him out for a couple seasons in the Minors.

5th spot, whether it be Rogers, Cabrera, Meyer ... we'll figure that out down the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael said:

We're going to see some phantom injured list stints for sure, and thankfully we have a few pitching prospects close enough who will be able to take some innings.

Pablo and Sandy should be alright to reach 180+ innings as needed. 8-man bullpen will also help of course.

Sixto will be intriguing and get a couple skipped starts for sure. Elieser should never go beyond five innings UNLESS he's developed that change-up.

If Campbell is on the OD roster, he can do spot starts to avoid some of those IL stints - Rays had been lengthening him out for a couple seasons in the Minors.

5th spot, whether it be Rogers, Cabrera, Meyer ... we'll figure that out down the line.

Elieser will be there till Cabrera comes up, then Pablo will be traded for hopefully a good return if/when Meyer is ready to go. I just believe they’ll keep Rogers around due to the fact that he’s lefty. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.