Jump to content

Marlins Sign Adam Duvall- Official Thread™


Recommended Posts


10 minutes ago, Bret Hart said:

Duvall gonna take LF Dickerson's platoon partner and a part-time 1st base man, right?? I think Cooper deal is upcoming later.

Pretty certain Duvall wasn't signed to platoon or be part time anywhere. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bret Hart said:

I think Brinson's tenure as a regular guy in Miami was officially over. We have been looking for a lefty but added righty again. 

Sierra and Ramirez go before Brinson does. And I know we can't put too much stock into things like this but I think his generally great reputation as a good person, a hometown kid, an ambassador to the community, and things like that may play a role in how they view Brinson which could extend his opportunities here until there's no other option than to move on from him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Sierra and Ramirez go before Brinson does. And I know we can't put too much stock into things like this but I think his generally great reputation as a good person, a hometown kid, an ambassador to the community, and things like that may play a role in how they view Brinson which could extend his opportunities here until there's no other option than to move on from him. 

I really, really would like to see Brinson spend a full season in AAA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

He’s going to be 26. If he’s going back to AAA, it’s basically over. 

Yep. Let him go somewhere else for his sake. hopefully he find some success.  Don’t keep him in our system and put him through that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, canada-marlin24 said:

He’s going to be 26. If he’s going back to AAA, it’s basically over. 

 

6 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Yep. Let him go somewhere else for his sake. hopefully he find some success.  Don’t keep him in our system and put him through that. 

 

I agree to an extent.  He has been rushed since he got to Miami, and what would've been a pretty critical year for his development last year kinda got f'd.

I feel like he is closer, & has a higher ceiling, but at some point you do have to pull the plug too, and go a different route.

If we can package him up for a  Contreras deal, great - send him without a second thought.  If he's here though, he doesn't need to be a guy off of the bench - that's not going to work out any better than in years past - and unless the stars align, he's not a starter yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, el_gmac said:

does he still options to send him down ?

I don't think so.  I believe we're committed, or he'll end up with the Pirates or Orioles, or somebody like that. 

 

If he doesn't crack the starting lineup (which would be a miracle), he needs to be included in a trade preseason.  If he starts the season with us & he's a bench guy, he's worthless to us & in trade.

Edited by cyoung
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I don't think so.  I believe we're committed, or he'll end up with the Pirates or Orioles, or somebody like that. 

 

If he doesn't crack the starting lineup (which would be a miracle), he needs to be included in a trade preseason.  If he starts the season with us & he's a bench guy, he's worthless to us & in trade.

Brinson isn’t going to be an every day starter on this team. He wasn’t going to be that before the Duvall signing, and now it’s definitely not happening. 
 

Which isn’t a bad thing, he hasn’t done anything to earn every day at bats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing with Brinson, he isn't bringing anything good in a return. I'd rather have him as a depth option and pray that his 2020 improvements continue this season than just cut him loose for no real reason. With his remaining option we can wait until 2022 before really making a bigger decision on Brinson. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SilverBullet said:

Ok so did @taiwanmarlin like this move or is he still disappointed in this team? I'm shocked we didn't get a clear response to this. He basically shrugged this off like some meaningless move. Can't please this guy.

He was too excited to post his thoughts

computer sitting GIF by South Park

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erick said:

Brinson isn’t going to be an every day starter on this team. He wasn’t going to be that before the Duvall signing, and now it’s definitely not happening. 
 

Which isn’t a bad thing, he hasn’t done anything to earn every day at bats. 

I completely agree - he wasn't going to be an everyday starter this year, but I feel like the potential is there to turn a corner & earn his way into the lineup in the future, but it's not going to happen from the bench.  He has to get regular play, which is only going to happen in AAA.

Unfortunately the past few years have been kind of shitty, and his age is starting to pass him by too.  If it's going to happen for him, it's got to happen quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael said:

He's got one option left.

If he has one, I think this year will be the time to use it.  Use it right out of spring training, give him the full year there, unless he's needed to fill in for injury at some point this year.

By next year if he can't crack the lineup, he just has to be used as depth, or written off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all gotta remember, it it's not like the choice is if he doesn't become an All-Star they've got to fire him. I think he showed last year he can be a productive platoon bat and 4th outfielder. Lots of folks on here, me included, wanted him to get even more playing time (he did, and his numbers soured a bit).

But really, him being a meaningful platoon partner with Dickerson is still helping this club, and I think that's what matters most -- maximizing the team's record.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Y'all gotta remember, it it's not like the choice is if he doesn't become an All-Star they've got to fire him. I think he showed last year he can be a productive platoon bat and 4th outfielder. Lots of folks on here, me included, wanted him to get even more playing time (he did, and his numbers soured a bit).

But really, him being a meaningful platoon partner with Dickerson is still helping this club, and I think that's what matters most -- maximizing the team's record.

I don't disagree with you at all - I just haven't given up on him blooming into a starter yet.  We have the option, let's use it to let him develop more.  If he's a swing and a miss next year (pun-intended), then he's a 4th OF/platoon guy from that point on.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...