I don't know if it's just one of those hazy memories of my youth but damn, my elementary school had these rectangular pizzas that were amazing.  they also had these hexagon shaped ones that were "mexican pizza" (i.e. different cheese, ground beef, and taco spices).  I still crave them to this day. 

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

That may have been Ellio's!

This was the Tampa area in the late 80's.  I'm going to venture out and guess it was just some generic stuff sold to public schools.

Just now, hovertical said:

This was the Tampa area in the late 80's.  I'm going to venture out and guess it was just some generic stuff sold to public schools.

Knockoff Ellio's ew

Knockoff Ellio's ew

Other people I've talked to over the years also fondly remember the school pizzas as well.  They were well loved for sure. 

There were some other very craveable eats as well like these steak nuggets, which looking back, were probably similar to bite sized chicken fried steak pieces.  There was this peanut butter square dessert that was amazing as well.  It had the thinnest layer of chocolate on top but goddam that was some good eatin'.  Kids would trade you all sorts of stuff if you were willing to pony that treasure up.

18 hours ago, hovertical said:

In the late 80's/early 90's there was a program called Book-It that was sponsored by Pizza Hut and that was a real treat when I was a kid because you'd get a personal pan pizza and my parents would take me out to eat at the actual restaurant - which back then was dark with  dark wooden booths and red accents. Probably looked like a bordello or something tbh. 

Pizza Hut now?  TRASH. literally would go without eating than eat a slice of any of their shit.  it's just an awful, awful product overall.  Just no. They even managed to screw up that stuffed crust pizza somehow. 

Papa John's is sometimes tolerable although I honestly think it tastes better cold the next day than hot.

Dominos underwent a pretty big overhaul in recent years.  Theirs is ok too, I do like the Pacific Vegetable one they sling but for some reason their pizza doesn't satisfy a pizza craving.  I don't know exactly what it is - but it just doesn't make me think of pizza despite all the ingredients being there. 

Little Caesar's is f*cking putrid.  They've even butchered their crazy bread (which was always light years better than their pizza) by making it puffy instead of flat. When I was a kid it was flatter and thus more cheese and buttery goodness would be on the surface now it just tastes like some cheap breadstick you can get in the frozen food section (not even a good one).

Marco's was good by my house when I lived in Tampa but is an abortion out here and I would never go again (it closed after about 6 months of opening anyway so that made it hella easy).

If we pick up from a chain pizza place we hit up Hungry Howies.  Good chew to the crust, not overly greasy, and extra cheese gets you a nice amount of cheese on the pie.  The flavor combos you can get added to the crust also make it pretty tasty.  Some people hate on HH because they'll just call and order a pepperoni pizza and what results is passable but not what it CAN be if you know how to really get them to make you a solid pie.  Some locations have the option of green olives as opposed to black (unfortunately not the one by us anymore) and that really adds some really good flavor to the pizza. 

In regard to thin vs. original crust i prefer thin if i'm buying a frozen pizza from the store but original crust if i'm ordering it from somewhere. Not a fan of any of the deep dish pizzas i've had throughout the years.  I like foldable slices.  a big oversized slice of foldable cheesy goodness is heaven. 

I'll have to take a look at the Costco pizza.  we literally just got a membership last week since one opened up about a mile away.

Thoughts:

I havent had Pizza Hut in forever, but I'd prolly agree.

Papa John's is trash.

Dominoes has actually done a decent job in fixing their issues, I dont mind their stuff generally.

Little Ceasar's is worse than trash. 

Marco's never had.

Costco pizza is pretty fucking decent.

When I get Pizza its generally from smaller or more localized joints.  Pretty good usually.  

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Costco pizza is pretty fucking decent.

"Pretty fucking" should never be followed by the word "Decent". Seems contradictory.  Pretty fucking bad, pretty fucking good... but pretty fucking decent?

• Like 1

"Pretty fucking" should never be followed by the word "Decent". Seems contradictory.  Pretty fucking bad, pretty fucking good... but pretty fucking decent?

yes.

General question that this thread got me thinking... is all fast food/chain restaurant food really "not as good as it used to be" or is that just a product of growing up and the food not living up to the amazing memories of it in our minds? 

I'm just saying I hear this so much about so many places that I'm starting to think it's our minds fucking with us.

Maybe it was horseshit when we were kids too but now we just realize it since we're older and we look at foods differently?

My mother in law insists that a Whopper is literally HALF the size it was when she was younger and I feel like that can't be true.

I think "They don't make it like they used to" is actually "they don't make it like you think they did."

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

My mother in law insists that a Whopper is literally HALF the size it was when she was younger and I feel like that can't be true.

Maybe her hands are twice as big now as they were back then, so it's just a perception.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

I'm gonna tell her you said that. 

😂

Then it's a good thing I didn't post what I originally wrote:

"Maybe it's because she is twice as big now as she was back then, so it's just a perception."

I changed it at the last minute, in case you would misunderstand what I was saying and get offended or something.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

General question that this thread got me thinking... is all fast food/chain restaurant food really "not as good as it used to be" or is that just a product of growing up and the food not living up to the amazing memories of it in our minds? 

I'm just saying I hear this so much about so many places that I'm starting to think it's our minds fucking with us.

Maybe it was horseshit when we were kids too but now we just realize it since we're older and we look at foods differently?

I think "They don't make it like they used to" is actually "they don't make it like you think they did."

I think it's both.  I'm sure a good chunk of it is just remembering it better than it actually was, and views on types of food changing as you get older.  But I also feel like you probably did get "more" years ago.

Conversely, I feel like there's been a lot more "craft" chains that have popped up and provided a nicer atmosphere and "better" food, even if it costs more and is more a la carte than your Wendys etc.

a lot of stuff is more poorly made and smaller now that it used to be so.  in addition additives and/or extra fillers have become more of the norm rather than using higher quality goods. 

not fast food but i noticed the Quaker granola bars they have now are TINY and dry compared to the size i used to have in my lunch in school. I looked up the boxes on the old ones and those are the size of the "jumbo" ones they sell now.  plus, they now taste not too far removed from what I'd imagine sucking on a piece of paper would taste like. 

On 3/1/2021 at 5:48 PM, hovertical said:

a lot of stuff is more poorly made and smaller now that it used to be so.  in addition additives and/or extra fillers have become more of the norm rather than using higher quality goods. 

not fast food but i noticed the Quaker granola bars they have now are TINY and dry compared to the size i used to have in my lunch in school. I looked up the boxes on the old ones and those are the size of the "jumbo" ones they sell now.  plus, they now taste not too far removed from what I'd imagine sucking on a piece of paper would taste like. 

food prices have gone up, so in an effort to semi maintain price point, quality of ingredients have suffered.  Capitalism and Americans being idiots generally are at the root of it all.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, SilverBullet said:

I havent had a Whopper in ages.  

Easily my least favorite of the big burger chains.