Brandon Kintzler turns down Marlins offer for chance at more money

The Marlins could have used Kintzler in the pen, but with Mattingly calling the shots, Kintzler would absolutely have been the closer, and that's not great. Bass isn't great for that role either, but what Manager of the Year says, goes. 

For anyone saying it's wild that he took a minor league deal over a Major League deal, he didn't really. It's a Major League deal as soon as he "makes" the team, which the only way he doesn't is if he gets hurt during Spring Training and misses the whole season. He simply chose to make $1.5 million more in what is likely his last contract worth over $3 millie

I think this gonna be higher winning percentage gambling for him. '20 Philly bullpen was so terrible. Fangraphs said, their bullpen in '20 season got 7.06 era, 5.56 fip and -0.8 war, which mean he goes down to 98% bottom feeding bullpen. 

That's something he has got to try, definitely. 

Edited by Bret Hart
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I should probably take back my earlier anger towards him. The wording of what went down sound a little insulting to the Marlins but Kintzler seemed like a good dude last year and there are always multiple factors involved in making a decision like this. The Marlins not picking up his option months ago gave Kintzler and his family an opportunity to look at all their options and they gotta go with what they feel is best for them. No need for hard feelings.

Nah nah, wait til I catch him in the streets here. It's on Kintzy!

• Like 1