Vesia traded to Dodgers for Floro

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

He needs to have a better grasp of the strike zone, not be more aggressive.

He had that in his limited time in 2020, but to an extreme. @jeffreysfishfry is correct - Isan was too patient in 2020. He was too aggressive in 2019.

Isan's o-swing% dropped a lot (8.4%) in 2020 from 2019. However his z-swing% also dropped 5%. He needs to go somewhere in the middle there and I think we're going to see that in 2021. Hopefully.

However, I'll give you a partial agreement - his fielding is alright, not great. Would prefer Jazz at second for that reason. That and I think Jazz might be a better hitter overall, but he's the future at short. Miggy Ro shouldn't be extended beyond 2022 (team / vesting option).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Isan Diaz sucks at hitting.  He needs to have a better grasp of the strike zone, not be more aggressive.

He needs to learn how to make consistent hard contact.  He sucks at that.

Isan Diaz sucks at fielding.  

So ya, not really worried about him becoming this big star at any point tbh.  

When Diaz made contact in 2019 it was solid contact. The problem was that he wasn't swinging at enough pitches in the zone.

image.png.7dfa060179a35178a595c66580856845.png        
image.png.d3ef032d2ad8410b3e5250d8bfe75cb1.png

image.png.aaf0ff48a4c934186c25a941c052e440.pngimage.png.6752f34c243ae4885e92b2da243e608d.png

He swung at 57.3% of pitches in the zone compared to 66% for average hitters. His contact for pitches out of the zone was below average, but his contact for pitches in the zone was near league average. If he starts being more aggressive at the plate he will improve.

Defensively he did seem to have the yips early. But that does not mean that he is horrible defensively. Perhaps you could take your head out of your ass and do a proper analysis of the player before jumping to conclusion next time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Michael said:

He had that in his limited time in 2020, but to an extreme. @jeffreysfishfry is correct - Isan was too patient in 2020. He was too aggressive in 2019.

Isan's o-swing% dropped a lot (8.4%) in 2020 from 2019. However his z-swing% also dropped 5%. He needs to go somewhere in the middle there and I think we're going to see that in 2021. Hopefully.

However, I'll give you a partial agreement - his fielding is alright, not great. Would prefer Jazz at second for that reason. That and I think Jazz might be a better hitter overall, but he's the future at short. Miggy Ro shouldn't be extended beyond 2022 (team / vesting option).

Isan only saw 97 pitches in 2020. Not a large enough sample size to do a fair analysis. Also, he was still less aggressive in 2019 than league average. Considering his contact profile on balls in play was great to excellent, his patience did hamper him offensively. As for defense, I agree that Jazz is better, but that doesn't mean Isan is bad. He looked like it got in his head in the field, but he is better defensively than we saw in 2019.

32 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Isan only saw 97 pitches in 2020. Not a large enough sample size to do a fair analysis.

Sure, but what I saw, he was definitely watching pitches better in 2020 than he did in 2019.

Eye test has to come into play, too. ❤️ 

On 2/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, FishFan95 said:

When Diaz made contact in 2019 it was solid contact. The problem was that he wasn't swinging at enough pitches in the zone.

image.png.7dfa060179a35178a595c66580856845.png        
image.png.d3ef032d2ad8410b3e5250d8bfe75cb1.png

image.png.aaf0ff48a4c934186c25a941c052e440.pngimage.png.6752f34c243ae4885e92b2da243e608d.png

He swung at 57.3% of pitches in the zone compared to 66% for average hitters. His contact for pitches out of the zone was below average, but his contact for pitches in the zone was near league average. If he starts being more aggressive at the plate he will improve.

Defensively he did seem to have the yips early. But that does not mean that he is horrible defensively. Perhaps you could take your head out of your ass and do a proper analysis of the player before jumping to conclusion next time.

Maybe its a product of not able to fully grasp what is and isnt in the zone?  aka not the best eyes at the plate.  But ya lets discount that entirely.

Being aggressive doesnt lead to better results if you fail in recognizing what is and isnt a hittable pitch.

On 2/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, FishFan95 said:

Isan only saw 97 pitches in 2020. Not a large enough sample size to do a fair analysis. Also, he was still less aggressive in 2019 than league average. Considering his contact profile on balls in play was great to excellent, his patience did hamper him offensively. As for defense, I agree that Jazz is better, but that doesn't mean Isan is bad. He looked like it got in his head in the field, but he is better defensively than we saw in 2019.

Marginally better at best from what 2019 brought in the field, tbh. 

There is a reason the Brewers had no issues including Diaz in a trade for Yelich.  One it was for Yelich, two they were very much aware of the flaws in his game, even know how bad of a fielder Hura was ahead of him as a 2b, knowing he would probably have to move off the position because his glove couldnt handle it. 

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Maybe its a product of not able to fully grasp what is and isnt in the zone?  aka not the best eyes at the plate.  But ya lets discount that entirely.

Being aggressive doesnt lead to better results if you fail in recognizing what is and isnt a hittable pitch.

In 2020, he was laying off changeups low out of the zone he absolutely swung at in 2019. That already was a big plus.

He had a good bit of opposite field contact, another big plus.

You've got a point on his fielding and that's it.

Here's a fun game: Rookie stats from notable names. Make your guesses!

• Age 25, 469 PA, .235/.335/.420 and 96 wRC+ and -1.1 WAR
    Hint: King of the late bloomers.

• Age 23, 325 PA, .246/.296/.327 and 73 wRC+ and -0.5 WAR
    Hint: Currently sky high expectations.

• Age 25, 198 PA, .224/.260/.311 and 44 wRC+ and -0.8 WAR
    Hint: Got some big rings, but for which hand?

• Age 21, 229 PA, .169/.227/.324 and 54 wRC+ and -0.8 WAR
    Hint: Expected to make big money in a year or two.

• Age 19, 152 PA, .221/.283/.364 and 53 wRC+ and -0.6 WAR
    Hint: Baseball is in the family.

• Age 21, 518 PA, .255/.281/.405 and 82 wRC+ and -0.8 WAR
    Hint: A controversial figure, through no fault of his own.

Answers below:

Spoiler
  • Jose Bautista
  • Michael Brantley
  • Ben Zobrist
  • Javier Baez
  • Justin Upton
  • Harold Baines

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Just watching mlb game day in 2019, if I remember, it seemed like his strikeouts were CALLED STRIKES on FULL COUNTS which goes against your idea that he doesn’t recognize the zone and has poor contact.  His issues are a symptom of being to passive, aka 2020 Yelich. 

If I remember 2019 Isan had impressively high pitch counts. He’s  super patient with great eyes and zone awareness.  

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
4 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

I’m pretty sure that idea was from 1998, so not that new.

lol... I do have some New Radicals trivia... if you ever watched the last season of All in the Family or the spin-off Archie Bunker's Place, the little girl Stephanie that Archie raised as his daughter grew up to be a member of the band (keyboard and backing vocals)

Just now, CyggyMarlin said:

lol... I do have some New Radicals trivia... if you ever watched the last season of All in the Family or the spin-off Archie Bunker's Place, the little girl Stephanie that Archie raised as his daughter grew up to be a member of the band (keyboard and backing vocals)

Those shows were just a little bit before my time, although I’m pretty sure that they were on TV Land at some point, but I never watched them. But still, I love trivia in general, so that’s interesting!

2 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Those shows were just a little bit before my time, although I’m pretty sure that they were on TV Land at some point, but I never watched them. But still, I love trivia in general, so that’s interesting!

All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Three's Company, Good Times, MASH... all from the same era, these are the classics you need to binge (just a small list, I know I left many out)

4 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Three's Company, Good Times, MASH... all from the same era, these are the classics you need to binge (just a small list, I know I left many out)

Nice! We were big Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Andy Griffith and Little House on the Prairie watchers on TV Land/Nick at Nite when I was a kid.

I have seen quite a few episodes of Good Times and The Jeffersons, and Threes company, MASH and All in the family just a couple of episodes maybe. But I agree, those are all classic shows, for sure!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Nice! We were big Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Andy Griffith and Little House on the Prairie watchers on TV Land/Nick at Nite when I was a kid.

I have seen quite a few episodes of Good Times and The Jeffersons, and Threes company, MASH and All in the family just a couple of episodes maybe. But I agree, those are all classic shows, for sure!

Brady Bunch was definitely my childhood show.  During the late 90's, I worked for a "mom & pop" tv station (no network affiliation)... I used to air I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Happy Days, Little House, Andy Griffith Show, Star Trek, Cheers, Family Ties during the weekdays..... I was paid to watch tv (and air the commercial breaks)... Weekends were easy, aired infomercials and religious programming all day (only had to run commercials between the shows so I had 28 or 58 minutes of doing nothing - I had other tvs in the room so I channel surfed or I read a book lol)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, CyggyMarlin said:

Brady Bunch was definitely my childhood show.  During the late 90's, I worked for a "mom & pop" tv station (no network affiliation)... I used to air I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Happy Days, Little House, Andy Griffith Show, Star Trek, Cheers, Family Ties during the weekdays..... I was paid to watch tv (and air the commercial breaks)... Weekends were easy, aired infomercials and religious programming all day (only had to run commercials between the shows so I had 28 or 58 minutes of doing nothing - I had other tvs in the room so I channel surfed or I read a book lol)

Nice!

When I was a kid that would have been my dream job. 😂 Since in my spare time pretty much all I did was watch classic tv shows, but doing that and getting paid for it, is even better.

Heck even now as an adult that job doesn’t sound too bad either. 😂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

Heck even now as an adult that job doesn’t sound too bad either. 😂

It wasn't a bad job when you're younger, but it pays very little.  I left the mom/pop station after 3 years for an CBS affiliate doing the same job; pay was a little better but the pay was still "meh"

Edited by CyggyMarlin
  • Like 1