Pitchers and Catchers Report

The four greatest words towards the beginning of every year.

It's today.

Pitchers and catchers are reporting.

First workouts tomorrow.

Position players arrive on Monday.

The season starts soon. Let some excitement build. This team is going to continue to fly under the radar and that's exactly how we like it.

• Like 1

Many people think this team would trade off veterans in the deadline, but what would happen if this team compete in the deadline ? keep the veterans ? what would happen if this team have a great 2021 season ? re-sign the veterans for the 2022 ?

4 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

Many people think this team would trade off veterans in the deadline, but what would happen if this team compete in the deadline ? keep the veterans ? what would happen if this team have a great 2021 season ? re-sign the veterans for the 2022 ?

Nope. Gone at the deadline.

1 hour ago, taiwanmarlin said:

But fans would mad if you trade off veterans when the team is compete, unless it's the young players made the team compete. 

It'll be a good mix of both. It should be time for the prospects to be ready after three or four months of minor league ball and then, boom. Bring em up.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Michael said:

It'll be a good mix of both. It should be time for the prospects to be ready after three or four months of minor league ball and then, boom. Bring em up.

Say the Marlins are in 3rd place in mid-July, you think the right move is replacing all three of Marte, Duvall, and Dickerson with Bleday, Harrison, and Sanchez at that point?

• Like 2
Just now, SilverBullet said:

Say the Marlins are in 3rd place in mid-July, you think the right move is replacing all three of Marte, Duvall, and Dickerson with Bleday, Harrison, and Sanchez at that point?

If Bleday, Harrison, and Sanchez are crushing it, sure!

Aguilar, too.

But if they're not doing too well, no, keep em down. Case by case basis. Dickerson should be traded regardless IMO.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

If Bleday, Harrison, and Sanchez are crushing it, sure!

Aguilar, too.

But if they're not doing too well, no, keep em down. Case by case basis. Dickerson should be traded regardless IMO.

Pretty risky to bring up an entirely rookie outfield in the midst of a playoff race and expect them to keep pace with what the veteran outfield did before them.

One or two? Sure. But all three seems like a stretch for me, assuming we're anywhere near contention. If we're in last place then yea I'm all for it, I'm just saying it's not a certainty that all three are replaced.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Pretty risky to bring up an entirely rookie outfield in the midst of a playoff race and expect them to keep pace with what the veteran outfield did before them.

One or two? Sure. But all three seems like a stretch for me, assuming we're anywhere near contention. If we're in last place then yea I'm all for it, I'm just saying it's not a certainty that all three are replaced.

I never said certainty though. Simply predictions. (But yes it came off as me implying certainty.)

Defensively our outfield would get much better doing that, though. Lol.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

I never said certainty though. Simply predictions. (But yes it came off as me implying certainty.)

Yea you sure as heck implied certainty and it made no sense based on the point I was trying to make.

Talk It Out Fox Tv GIF by Almost Family FOX

Just now, taiwanmarlin said:

Everybody dislike Corey…

No, he's just the least productive of the three and the most likely to be traded away. I actually think he can have a better season than he did in 2020, which also improves his trade value.

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

No, he's just the least productive of the three and the most likely to be traded away. I actually think he can have a better season than he did in 2020, which also improves his trade value.

Exactly. Don't dislike Corey at all. Just see him as the one who will be traded regardless.

Corey Dickerson is a great guy except for one big thing... I heard him on a local radio station interview last year and he claims he has never eaten a hot dog in his life. That's just weird. I can understand an adult who makes dietary choices and stays away from a hot dog but I don't understand how he could have gone his entire youth without ever eating a hot dog. Something really strange there. 

Knowing this blog, I'm sure this will open up an intense conversation about hot dogs...

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Banana 1
2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Corey Dickerson is a great guy except for one big thing... I heard him on a local radio station interview last year and he claims he has never eaten a hot dog in his life. That's just weird. I can understand an adult who makes dietary choices and stays away from a hot dog but I don't understand how he could have gone his entire youth without ever eating a hot dog. Something really strange there. 

Knowing this blog, I'm sure this will open up an intense conversation about hot dogs...

Hot Dog Tacos GIF

• Haha 1

Anyways, is 2021 the most realistically high expectations for a Marlins team in quite some time?

The 2020 playoff spot helps as a little bit of proof that this team is capable of winning but I think it's more than just that. This team is not tanking, they're trying to win, they're built to win, even in a division where it's not gonna be easy.

And yes they may ultimately fail but I don't know if I've ever been more expecting of a very good Marlins team at the start of spring training like I am with this one. 

Can anyone else compare the 2021 expectations to other past seasons? I think we all thought 2012 would be big but that was a fantasy. Ever since then I think we expected better teams in 2015 and 16 but I'm not sure the expectations of those years were as tangible as 2021. Seems like those were just "cross your fingers and pray that it works" because it never really worked before then.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Anyways, is 2021 the most realistically high expectations for a Marlins team in quite some time?

The 2020 playoff spot helps as a little bit of proof that this team is capable of winning but I think it's more than just that. This team is not tanking, they're trying to win, they're built to win, even in a division where it's not gonna be easy.

And yes they may ultimately fail but I don't know if I've ever been more expecting of a very good Marlins team at the start of spring training like I am with this one. 

Can anyone else compare the 2021 expectations to other past seasons? I think we all thought 2012 would be big but that was a fantasy. Ever since then I think we expected better teams in 2015 and 16 but I'm not sure the expectations of those years were as tangible as 2021. Seems like those were just "cross your fingers and pray that it works" because it never really worked before then.

This is ancient history now, but I still can clearly remember before the 2004, the expectations and general feeling around the Marlins going into that season was very good, seeing as most of the roster was returning, including Beckett, Willis, Penny, Pavano, AJ Burnett was healthy again and of course Cabrera, Pierre, Castillo, Lowell, and even us Marlins fans were pretty excited about Hee Seop Choi. 😂

Just that whole general feeling of coming off the WS win and going into the ‘04 season, was a pretty fun time as a Marlins fan!

But yes, I agree, this upcoming season has a different vibe to it, compared to the past few years. I like it!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

This is ancient history now, but I still can clearly remember before the 2004, the expectations and general feeling around the Marlins going into that season was very good, seeing as most of the roster was returning, including Beckett, Willis, Penny, Pavano, AJ Burnett was healthy again and of course Cabrera, Pierre, Castillo, Lowell, and even us Marlins fans were pretty excited about Hee Seop Choi. 😂

Just that whole general feeling of coming off the WS win and going into the ‘04 season, was a pretty fun time as a Marlins fan!

But yes, I agree, this upcoming season has a different vibe to it, compared to the past few years. I like it!

Adding on to that, the Delgado signing made the 2005 team seem like serious contenders, that year the expectations were through the roof. The 03 team was pretty much still intact and then we made that big free agent splash to fix whatever didn't work in 04 and the fans actually didn't automatically think we were just trading everyone away yet. The 97 fire sale was still seen as a one time thing at that point, it wasn't yet a pattern. It always puzzles me how nobody seems to remember that the 03 team actually tried and tried big for two more seasons.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Adding on to that, the Delgado signing made the 2005 team seem like serious contenders, that year the expectations were through the roof. The 03 team was pretty much still intact and then we made that big free agent splash to fix whatever didn't work in 04 and the fans actually didn't automatically think we were just trading everyone away yet. The 97 fire sale was still seen as a one time thing at that point, it wasn't yet a pattern. It always puzzles me how nobody seems to remember that the 03 team actually tried and tried big for two more seasons.

Yeah, that’s a good point, that ‘05 season was a good one with those big expections, I remember when the Marlins signed Delgado, plus we were going to have Paul LoDuca for a full season, and Juan Encarnacion who was traded before the ‘04 season but then came back to the Marlins a few months later at the ‘04 trade deadline along with  LoDuca.

The Marlins finished 83-79 in ‘04 and 83-79 in ‘05. Not losing seasons, but not enough to make the playoffs. So that’s how we got to that ‘06 season of almost half the team being rookies, it seemed like.

😂

Edited by SirFishFan
3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

uffff, Idk man, a little too early for Bleday in my opinion. He's only had one real minor league season. I think Harrison is gonna figure it out long term, and Sanchez hit for a decent average in the minors so eventually he'll figure it out too.

Believe it or not I think the surprise call up next season that comes up and produces will be Encarnacion. I think he's gonna be what Ozuna was for us when he was here (High strikeouts, good slugging). I've seen that dude go oppo on curveballs multiple times...that's hard lol

edit: Unless they're somehow in first place in the division/wild card in july, I'm definitely in agreement to trade those three to any contenders that need outfield help. Marte and Dick are FA after the season and Duvall's contract was so obviously designed for them to be able to trade away. Even if the young dudes haven't figured it out, there's never a shortage of those mid-tier outfielders to pick up in the offseason anyway.

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I've seen that dude go oppo on curveballs multiple times...that's hard lol

5 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

that's hard

Not the only thing that's hard anymore ...

• Haha 1
  • Banana 1